Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 02:31 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What? You posted this:
The horrors written in the OT have nothing to do with a person believing in an actual hell. Those are 2 different subjects.

How is believing in an actual hell cause some people to live hellish lives or do hellish things.

It makes sense if they think what's written in the OT as the way one should live and behave...but simply believing in an actual hell should not cause others to live hellish lives or do hellish things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I believe all go to heaven. HELL/PRISON no longer exists as a holding place because Jesus holds the keys to both death and hell.
I don't believe it follows that just because Jesus holds the keys that the spirit prison no longer exists. The reason I say this (at least one of the reasons) is that Jesus visiting it evidently served a purpose. He preached His gospel to the ones who were there. What point would there have been to Him having done that if they had no choice as to whether to accept or reject it? To me, it seems that a visit would have been unnecessary had they not had to make a decision.

Quote:
I believe all, and I mean all souls will bow at the feet of Jesus when they depart this world. When that happens, the un-believers will instantly be conversed.
I'm assuming you meant to type "converted" instead of "conversed." I'm curious as to how you see this conversion happening. Are you saying that some little kid living in 6th century China died, instantly and without any real reason or choice in the matter, accepted Jesus and gained a knowledge of His gospel perhaps by osmosis? And this makes sense to you? I mean, if it does, okay, but if that's the case, is there any point at all to our even having to experience mortality?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you threaten your children with hell, it's nothing less-than, child-abuse.
And .... when you ignore your children around open flames of hell, it's nothing less-than, child-abuse.

In other words there is a line: Don't threaten \ don't ignore.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The horrors written in the OT have nothing to do with a person believing in an actual hell. Those are 2 different subjects.

How is believing in an actual hell cause some people to live hellish lives or do hellish things.

It makes sense if they think what's written in the OT as the way one should live and behave...but simply believing in an actual hell should not cause others to live hellish lives or do hellish things.
Would you agree that what people believe has an impact on them?

If you sincerely believed that God was capable of condemning people to an eternity of torment, can you imagine any ways in which that might impact you or influence you negatively?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whos'who View Post
Are new born babies who are not saved and who have not excepted Jesus as their lord and savior, comdemned to hell?
Nope. As there are third world countries and various outback communities that have no knowledge of christianty, so to say that this God of christian faith would not accept them goes against the ultimate law of God.

Would a deaf, blind, and mute child also be denied in heaven? Seriously, I do not know what will happen upon death, but I'd like to beleive its not this human thought process that because they weren't baptized or convered to some organized christian base faith that they are doomed to this conceptual idea of he**.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you threaten your children with hell, it's nothing less-than, child-abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
And .... when you ignore your children around open flames of hell, it's nothing less-than, child-abuse.

In other words there is a line: Don't threaten \ don't ignore.
Ignoring that which does not exist is immaterial.
Abusing a child on the other hand is inexcusable.

Apparently, there is no peace for the wicked?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nope. As there are third world countries and various outback communities that have no knowledge of christianty, so to say that this God of christian faith would not accept them goes against the ultimate law of God.
Would a deaf, blind, and mute child also be denied in heaven? Seriously, I do not know what will happen upon death, but I'd like to beleive its not this human thought process that because they weren't baptized or convered to some organized christian base faith that they are doomed to this conceptual idea of he**.
Jesus, of course, will decide which individuals are humble sheep or haughty goats - Matthew 25:31-33,37,40
Jesus can read hearts - Isaiah 11:3-4

Jesus taught us what happens upon death at John 11:11-14 that the dead are in a sleep-like state.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures and based his beliefs on them.
- The dead know nothing -> Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Minor children are under the responsibility of the parents - 1 Corinthians 7:14
There will be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous - Acts 24:15

Due to modern technology it has made rapid Bible translation possible.
In other words, there are remote Bible translation offices spread now throughout the Earth.
That means people can now have Scripture in their own mother tongue or native languages.
We might Not hear this on the NEWS about them reaching people in remote areas of Earth but the work of Matthew 24:14 is being accomplished on an international scale today.- Acts 1:8

Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Would you agree that what people believe has an impact on them?
Of course.
Quote:
If you sincerely believed that God was capable of condemning people to an eternity of torment, can you imagine any ways in which that might impact you or influence you negatively?
No in fact I can see how it would make others "behave" in a way so they would not face this eternity of torment...after all this was the purpose behind why it was written in the bible.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-15-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Of course.
No in fact I can see how it would make others "behave" in a way so they would not face this eternity of torment...after all this was purpose behind why it was written in the bible.
Clergy have used the hell-fire scare tactic in order to control their flock.

What eternal torment are you referring ?
According to Psalms 92:7 the wicked will be destroyed forever, Not tormented forever.
Why did you choose the word torment instead of torture ?
In Scripture a tormentor was a jailer - Matthew 18:30,34

What is the Bible's hell ?
The day Jesus' died Jesus went to hell according to Acts 2:27
Since Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11:11-14 - then Jesus believed that while in biblical hell he would be sleeping.
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.
There would be No need for Jesus to be given the keys to unlock hell - Revelation 1:18

KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed and Not kept burning forever.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction. As the wicked will be destroyed forever according to Psalm 92:7

Doesn't biblical hell come to a final end ?
According to Revelation 20:13-14 after everyone in the Bible's hell is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell ) then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Clergy have used the hell-fire scare tactic in order to control their flock.
Yes I am well aware of that which is why I posted this. ...after all this was the purpose behind why it was written in the bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What eternal torment are you referring?
It's clear you don't know much about the bible that you worship. Odd how most non-bible folks know much more about the bible than actual bible worshipers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity