U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,453,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by HotinAZ
Are you saying that insulting people or using 'venomous' sarcasm is not Christ like behaviour?
If you believe that it is possible to speak without insulting people, what would you then call Jesus calling the Pharisees hypocrites?
And is calling someone a hypocrite not also personal?
And isn't it insulting to the rich to proclaim that it is easier for a camel to crawl through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven?
Ummmmm....Jesus did. Have you read the bible? Jesus was not exactly kind to prideful people I agree there should be common sense on how we talk to people however I believe it is a matter of where your heart is.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-15-2009 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,523,427 times
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Quote:
Ummmmm....Jesus did. Have you read the bible. Jesus was not exactly kind to prideful people
How would you then call people who know that they're saved simply because they believe themselves to be Christian?
And condemn others simply because they aren't Christian or interpret the Bible differently?

Quote:
I agree there should be common sense on how we talk to people
I agree otherwise it is a pot & kettle thing.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,488,348 times
Quote:
How would you then call people who know that they're saved simply because they believe themselves to be Christian?
And condemn others simply because they aren't Christian or interpret the Bible differently?
That is a good question to ask me...

I would want to call them as I would hope they would call me the same...

The word that comes to mind is - "Opportunity"

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,118,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I cant speak for you, but I can speak for myself.
As a Good Christian, I "KNOW" that I have the qualifications as given in the Bible for entering into the Kingdom.

I dont just think this, I KNOW this....
So you believe you have reached perfection?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist How would you then call people who know that they're saved simply because they believe themselves to be Christian?
Define condemn? Let me put it like this. I believe that God is the big orville reddenbauker in the sky and to worship him I eat buttered popcorn every Saturday mourning. Am I a Christian?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-15-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,523,427 times
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Quote:
Define condemn? Let me put it like this. I worship god who is the big orville reddenbauker in the sky and to worship him I eat buttered popcorn every Saturday mourning. Am I a Christian?
I often associate condemning people with a belief in hell.
So I guess it depends whether you believe in hell (and a afterlife).

I only consider myself a follower of Jesus and do not consider myself a Christian so I'm the last person to ask whether someone is a Christian.
But if you are asking if Christians behave like Jesus I'd have to say no.
I don't think the majority of Christians even understand Jesus' philosophy because they view it as a religion (perfect, from God) instead of a philosophy (imperfect, human).

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Yes I have...and the saddest thing about it is that they had a lot of regrets in the end. What most people forget is that God wants to be one with us...this is what He created us for and most of us have lost sight of that completely. We don't live for Him like we should. We are too involved in the carnal life and sometimes no better than unbelievers. We are told to DENY OURSELVES COMPLETELY, PICK UP OUR CROSS AND FOLLOW HIM, FOLLOW HIS COMMANDMENTS, LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS AS OURSELVES, LOVE OUR ENEMIES AND BLESS THEM, BE PERFECT AS OUR FATHER IS PERFECT, DON'T LOVE THE WORLD OR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD...FOR ON ONE WILL ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM WHO IS NOT PURE AND PERFECT. There is more to salvation than just saying some I believe Jesus is my savior prayer. All of us are way too carnal and we love the world way too much...so like those who die without knowing God, we are no better and should examine our own lives.

Does anyone here think they meet the qualifications of entrance into the Kingdom yet? I know I sure don't...and anyone who is truly honest with themselves will agree.
I know wihout a doubt that I am a born-again, spirit filled, child of the Living God through Christ. I know that I not only talk the talk, but I walk the walk required of me according to His Word...and I know that I know that I know that I will stand with confidence before Jesus my King, and He will know me because He knows I live my life to please Him. I haven't become all that He wants me to be, and I will not until He comes again and completes the work that He has begun in me...but I hear His voice...and know His voice...and I submitt to Him and His will above my own...daily He teaches me...daily He leads me...daily He convicts my heart, but I hear Him, and I love His corrections...I love His attention to me...even when it is because I've said or done something wrong that displeased Him...He is perfecting me...and the purification process, though it is painful to my flesh...is precious to me. I do not fear death...and I do not fear hell...I also do not fear being separated from Him...ever...because I live to please Him. I stay in His Word, constantly...and I do work out my salvation with fear and trembling...and I am a living sacrifice unto Him.

So, yes...I can say with confidence, that I will be accepted into His Kingdom...according to His holy Word...and He is not a God who can lie...and His Word will not return void. I stand upon His every promise to me. I live with peace and joy, in hope...patiently enduring. Amen.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalistI often associate condemning people with a belief in hell.
So I guess it depends whether you believe in hell..
No a Christian is someone who believes in virgin birth, death and ressurection of Christ. belief in hell doctrine crosses into heresy but I believe there are heretics in heaven

Quote:
I only consider myself a follower of Jesus and do not consider myself a Christian so I'm the last person to ask whether someone is a Christian.
I don't think the majority of Christians even understand Jesus' philosophy because they view it as a religion instead of a philosophy.
No Christianity is neither a religion nor is it a "dreaded" philosophy, it's much better than those. True Christianity is a "relationship"
but you are right that many Christians do not act Christ like but that is THE struggle in our daily lives. It's the one's who know they need to change and need help from God to grow and keep growing in holiness till death are the saved ones and not the ones who think they are complete and need nothing else.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,041,886 times
Quote:
I agree with this part of what you said, but I do not view Christianity as a philosophy. I don't view it as a religion, either, it is a relationship. Religion is of man; Christianity is a relationship with the Lord.

Some people believe Jesus was a "prophet." I don't agree with that; I think He was who He said He was, He is God.

Those are my beliefs. And I believe the one and only way into heaven is via His shed blood. Period. It is the most powerful thing in the universe.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,488,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
So you believe you have reached perfection?
"Be perfect as your father is perfect"....

Remember when we are told by Jesus to become this?
Was he kidding?
Was this said to be some sort of joke, a type of unreachable goal?

No!
It's something we have to become...and do become in Him.

However there are some ways to understand the term "Perfect" that make it something out of reach.

Here is a test....look around your house, or your yard, or your life, and name the things you think are perfect????

There should be a nice list of things that you come up with.
If you cant name even one thing, then you are mixed up as to the bible's meaning of "Perfect" of you live in a damp cave
=============================================

What is the best meaning in the whole world for the term "Perfect"?

(I feel a story coming on....)
This example will give you the perfect meaning to the word "Perfect"

You and your wife have just had your first baby.
You bring the child home from the hospital and are filled with joy and pride.
You know that your mom is about to come to town that day to see your new baby for the first time.
So you go to all the best baby stores and you bring home lots of new outfits to try on your baby so that when Grandma sees her new grandchild for the first time the baby will shine.

The hour of grandmas visit is at hand.
the baby is washed, and dressed in the best baby clothes.
The baby is then wrapped in blanket after blanket and placed in the brand new baby bed .
You make one last adjustment to the blankets, and the door bell rings...

Its Grandma!

You answer the door, greet your mom, and watch her as she walks over to see the child .
She reaches down, moves aside the blankets and picks up the new born...
Then you watch as grandma strips away the coverings to count all the fingers and toes.

Satisfied, and with tears in her eyes, she pronounces the child "Perfect!"

That is the perfection that Jesus asks of us....

To be lacking in nothing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or