Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist And yet there is no need to believe in a virgin birth or a resurrection of Christ to follow the philosophy of Jesus.
To me they are simple unnecessary dogmas, which I do not need to love & treat others the way I want to be loved and treated..
So you say but the bible says different. Read 1 John if you don't believe me.

Quote:
BTW wasn't your initial question to define condemning people instead of defining what a Christian is?
Be that as it may, there are Christians who act like they already know that they will enter heaven (in the afterlife).
What's wrong with that? that is why Jesus died for and by us receiving and surrendering to Christ grants you the promise God gave us-it is the Holy Spirit who dwells in us gives us that assurance of salvation. Not only do we believe it we relish it. Now there are two sides to every coin when a Christian is not doing what they are supposed to do, not growing then that assurance of salvation is fleeting, we lose that assurance and for a Christian it is like a personal "hell" but that doesn't mean they are not saved just lost their assurance of salvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry I'm sure the Inquisition believed the same like you, yet they've tortured people in God's name.
What does this say about Christianity?
My point simply is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions
Inquistition WAS NOT about true Christianity. Brief history. For a while Muslims, Jews and Christians live relatively peaceful till the Muslims tried to take over and introduce Sharii Law in Spain, Spain got word of it and that the Jews were helping the Muslims, Jews were pretending to be Christians and placing themselves in positions to allow this invasion to take place thus the inquisition began where they had to weed out the Jews masquerading as Christians charging them with treason and executing them.

I believe 5,000 Jews were put to death but it hardly was a genocide because it was over a span of 300 years the inquisition took place. It was wrong but it was not a Christian issue moreso a nationalistic issue. People were in fear of their lives and fear can lead to people doing brutal things.

No one is torturing. True Christianity doesn't allow that and even though many self profess Christians have done dispicable, evil things in the name of God which I might add that the bible said this will happen but such acts goes against the very grain of God's word.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-15-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Christy thinks there will be alot of very shocked people, those who pridefully and confidentally assert that they lack nothing, when they stand before God one day.
Sundance thinks Christy is right - especially as that is what Jesus said.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Quote:
So you say but the bible says different. Read 1 John if you don't believe me.
What my experiences have taught me may contradict the Bible and when that happens I generally follow my own experiences while I keep contemplating why I disagree with what is written.
Like I posted before: I don't mind being wrong.

Quote:
What's wrong with that, that is why Jesus died for and by us receiving and surrendering to Christ grants you the promise God gave us-it is the Holy Spirit who dwells in us gives us that assurance of salvation.
What I find wrong with this behaviour is that it makes people prideful.
Pride often blinds people, because they only see the good things about themselves.

Quote:
Inquistition WAS NOT about true Christianity.
My point is not whether the Inquisition is or is not true Christianity, but that they committed grave evil while believing that they were doing good.
If God ever asked me to sacrifice my child for the greater good I will refuse, I will sacrifice myself instead.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
Quote:
What my experiences have taught me may contradict the Bible and when that happens I generally follow my own experiences while I keep contemplating why I disagree with what is written.

Good, because that statement is the "Classic" example of being wrong....

It's like a textbook example of the wrong direction...

Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by alanMolstad
Quote:
Good, because that statement is the "Classic" example of being wrong....

It's like a textbook example of the wrong direction...
Then it is a good thing that I prefer experience over book knowledge.
My factual experiences have taught me that I'd rather be wrong about being wrong, than being wrong about being right.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist What my experiences have taught me may contradict the Bible and when that happens I generally follow my own experiences while I keep contemplating why I disagree with what is written.
Just like the Bereans. I admire that

Quote:
What I find wrong with this behaviour is that it makes people prideful.
Pride often blinds people, because they only see the good things about themselves.
I agree wholeheartedly, I myself (go figure ) can get prideful, even the Apostle Paul saw the dangers and battled it himself, that is one of the reasons God sends trial and tribulations our way, to knock us off our pedestal once in a while so that we can be humbled. "Pride" is a one way ticket to hell, all sin spawns from pride. Pride was the first sin.

Quote:

My point is not whether the Inquisition is or is not true Christianity, but that they committed grave evil while believing that they were doing good.
If God ever asked me to sacrifice my child for the greater good I will refuse, I will sacrifice myself instead.
The bible said, people will do that but do not blame God for the actions of His followers-true or pretenders. God's word still remains true, unperverted, unadulterated no matter how some people try to twist it for their own gains and evil intentions.

If God is good, the authority of what is good and true then who are you a creation (a clay pot) to question your Creator? Abraham didn't He trusted God and was going to kill his son. To question God in that manner is thinking you know better than God does and that my friend is arrogance, self righteousness and pride. Humble yourself by trusting God.

It's not easy is it?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
To question God in that manner is thinking you know better than God does and that my friend is self righteousness and pride.
Be that as it may, I do not asks things of others if I'm not prepared to do them myself.
Besidez, the army has taught me that I'm not one who blindly follows orders.
History has (often) taught us how that usually ends.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist Be that as it may, I do not asks things of others if I'm not prepared to do them myself.
Besidez, the army has taught me that I'm not one who blindly follows orders.
History has (often) taught us how that usually ends.
Your comparing God's way to man. I mean we can have a philosophical discussion about that but at the end of the day we must recognize there must be a final authority and if it isn't God then it's man who will have to fill that vaccum, the more powerful and stronger will dictate, then who is to say what is right and wrong regardless what takes place?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Your comparing God's way to man.
Maybe.
Then again I believe that only I can be responsible for my actions.
And not my superior, or God.
Because of this I can never use the excuse the German people had after losing WII; they did not know. The majority of the German population had no idea (nor did they have the desire to find out) what happened to the people in the Nazi death camps.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
The Bible talks about a final judgment.
And I have no doubt that is a true concept.

But I also think that there is a final judgment going on all around us all the time.

People are being told the message of Salvation, and some are listening to that message and some are turning away from it.

So in a very real way, TODAY is the final day of judgment...Today you pass from death to life, or today is the day you become self-condemned to hell forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity