U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,758,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIamtooB View Post
Being Catholic, it is easy for me to say "Of course we can". However, some of the Protestant religions, in their zeal to become as non-Catholic as possible, have fostered a negative opinion within their flocks.
The development of Protestantism was due to the RCC becoming fruitful in introducing rank heresy and apostasy in doctrines like putting money into a coffer to spring a loved one from the fires of Purgatory , et al... The reason Protestants protest the RCC is because it has watered down the Bible so much now , that even the truth on how to be saved and get to heaven, is compromised . Protestants dont bark at the RCC and Catholics just to be a Pest, but because they are genuinely concerned for your eternity. If you were standing on the edge of a cliff with the ground crumbling away behind you....youd want to be warned wouldnt you ? Thats why its important for the RCC to be exposed for apostate teachings and for demeaning what the Bible says and even for the very finished work of CHrist on the cross for ALL sins . You as a catholic need to ask why your CHurch is so far off base compared to the Bible. Heres a little treatise which can be read online as just one of many examples : Is the Pope infallible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,758,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Not to worry 007.5, I've read it! Since I was lucky enough to be afforded with 12 years of a Catholic education, I'm one of those people who, in addition to the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, also had morning prayers (and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass) before each school day started. As well as this, we had classes each day in religious instruction - which, of course, included bible study.

So my question to you now (if you would please deign to answer) is: What was the first public miracle that Jesus performed?
It is common for many people to get very educated in error which sounds plausible and to which we put trust in others in because afterall, they wont steer us wrong . It matters not how many hours per day of teaching one has, what certification he walks away with, or what heritage his family comes from. The thing that does matter is : Are you saved from your many sins and have you gotton forgiven the way the BIBLE says you need to get saved , referred to as The Gospel of CHrist that saves ? When your earthly life is over, all the graduation papers from Catechism , etc...wont be worth the paper they come on.

Instead of discussing the first public miracle of Christ, I prefer to make sure that you are in fact saved , now, so you dont go and do what CHrist said emphatically NOT to do ...and that is 'Do NOT die in your sins or you shall be lost forever' -- Jesus . (and that wipes out the doctrine of purgatory now doesnt it ?)

Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,045,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
What was the first public miracle that Jesus performed?

The first miracle Jesus Christ performed during His ministry was changing water into wine at a marriage feast in Cana (John 2:1-11).

When we compare what Christ and Moses each did with water, Jesus' miracle shows the contrast between law and grace. Moses changes water to blood, and Christ changes it into wine.

John 1:17: "For the law was given through Moses, [and] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." Moses' turning of water into blood suggests judgment (Exodus 7:14-17), while Jesus' turning of water into wine implies generosity and joy. John 3:17: "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world [what the law does to sinners], but that the world through Him might be saved [what grace does for those who repent].

John 2:11: This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM

862 posts, read 642,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
It doesnt matter what some folks say...it matters what the Bible clearly reports on something as major as how to be saved and get to heaven....something that God would certainly not want us to be in the dark about. After all, the entire Bible is about Gods redemption of mankind so we can live with him , forgiven of our many sins, in heaven for all of eternity.

The Bible isnt as elusive as many think it is on important matters...its just that some Teachers (Catholic and Protestant alike) bend what The Bible says to make an entire case for their own brand of theology .

You determine what God is saying to you thru his written words , by YOU reading them , applying some basic constructs known to the scholarly community as 'Hermanuetics' , until you become so familiar with the Bible that you are immediately able to determine truth from error when you listen to Teachers. If you hear for instance of a Teacher appealing to Mary now in Heaven to ' hear all the prayers of the faithful and to answer each one simulaneously' , you can immediately know that this is a strong heretical teaching which doesnt line up with the Bible because we are told that only GOD can accomplish such feats and we need to go to HIM to get prayers answered .

Do you read the Bible and have you developed a good understanding of what it says on major relevant issues to your own life and for your eternity ? God gave us his written word for each to learn from and enjoy and to apply to our daily lives.
You clearly ignore the obvious facts about your approach. The Bible clearly does not clearly report anything. The 30,000+ Christian denominations PROVE that irrefutable fact. And you, 007.5, have 000.0 authority about making biblical interpretations and doctrinal calls. So why would anybody buy what you are saying? No one in their right mind would listen to you or an other protestant visionary. YOU AND THEY HAVE NO AUTHORITY. NONE. ZIP. NADA.

Ask yourself, what is the ONLY organization that Jesus gave the keys to the Kingdom of heaven and the power to bind and loose here on earth? Not you and not me. But rather Jesus gave the keys to Peter. Peter and the Apostles set up His Church. And through Apostolic Succession the organization that still has the power today is the Catholic Church and to some degree the orthodox churches.

So quit using circular logic about the Bible being able to interpret itself and embrace the simple logic about who has teaching and doctrinal authority. Jesus gave it to HIS Church. Embrace the only organization that had the Jesus given Authority that could safely and accurately and infallibly canonize YOUR Bible. Yes, The Catholic Church. Jesus' church. Protected by the Holy Spirit for almost 2000 years.

Come on home. It just feels so good to be home.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,045,220 times
In the gospel book of John we are told that the miracle in Cana is the first Jesus performed. This discredits the false traditions that He worked miracles during the thirty years before His public ministry. It invalidates the miraculous accounts in the apocryphal gospels, which have been excluded from the Bible because of their contradictions to Scripture and their counterfeit nature. All stories about Christ's alleged miracles done prior to His public ministry are false.

This first miracle demonstrates at the earliest possible time that Christ's ministry would be one of grace and truth, as an extension and complement of the Law and the prophets.

17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-19).

Jesus had come to fulfill God's law - that is, to teach it and live it as an example of how to apply it to everyday life.

44He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” (Luke 24:44-45)

Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,923,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The first miracle Jesus Christ performed during His ministry was changing water into wine at a marriage feast in Cana (John 2:1-11).

When we compare what Christ and Moses each did with water, Jesus' miracle shows the contrast between law and grace. Moses changes water to blood, and Christ changes it into wine.

John 1:17: "For the law was given through Moses, [and] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." Moses' turning of water into blood suggests judgment (Exodus 7:14-17), while Jesus' turning of water into wine implies generosity and joy. John 3:17: "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world [what the law does to sinners], but that the world through Him might be saved [what grace does for those who repent].

John 2:11: This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
Thank you for answering the question Saved! My purpose in asking this question to 007.5 was in response to a far earlier posting he made that set out to (putting it mildly) insult the role of The Blessed Virgin Mary both as a person and in Her role in the RCC. I was attempting to somehow show him that the first public miracle performed by Jesus was done at the request of his beloved Mother. By pointing this out to him, I was trying to show him why we hold Mary in such high esteem (not to "worship" or even dare think of Her on equal terms with Christ). Rather, we look to Mary - as the Mother of Jesus - to intercede on our behalf to Her Son. As she did for the bridal couple.

We understand and believe that the only way to salvation is through Jesus. What we do note, however, and what we strive to follow as an example, is Mary's virtue and her total obedience to God. Her complete acceptance of God's will and plan for Her. How many of us can do that? She, Herself, made clear in Luke 1 :46 "My soul magnifies the Lord". So, in the same way that I approached my own mother for guidance in growing up and decision making, I also have the opportunity to go to my Heavenly Mother to ask her to guide me to Her Son and the path He has chosen for me. This is NO WAY minimizes Jesus.

In the same way that I can be stirred and inspired by Martin Luther King and his impassioned vision of "I Have a Dream", and his role in guiding people to the truth that "All Men Are Created Equal" - I can look to Mary as an example to lead me closer to Her Son. So do I bow my head at a statue of The Madonna? Certainly. I want to be inspired by Her example of complete acceptance of God's will. Do I also stand by the statue of Washington and bow my head in mediation of the bold actions he took and what he achieved with the other Founding Fathers of our nation? Certainly. Greatness inspires me. It makes me want to be better. Do I worship any of these people? Certainly not. They were created by God. As we all were.

So can Catholics and Protestants get along? Yes, I think they can. Mind you, I'm from the North East and have been exposed to many religions in my life. How you choose to worship is your personal choice. This is your souls journey through life. I do not place myself above God. Thus, I leave the judging to Him. But - and this is the big BUT - if you attempt to mock my faith, my family or my country - you can expect me to stand up to you (see, another reason I have to pray daily - to learn to turn the other cheek!). And if you put falsehoods out on a public forum regarding my particular faith, then I will take the time to set the record straight. And that, 007.5, is what you've been doing when discussing the RCC.

And on a closing note, 007.5, since you do tend to love bible quotes, may I remind you of the following from St. Paul: "Whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall" (1 Cor. 10:11–12).

Peace out to all!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,891,895 times
Yes, of course they can. Many of us that are members of one, or the other, are doing so, beautifully. We are siblings in Christ and we know it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yes, of course they can. Many of us that are members of one, or the other, are doing so, beautifully. We are siblings in Christ and we know it.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 AM

862 posts, read 642,977 times
It's not like we have a choice. Oh wait, we do.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:23 AM

17,743 posts, read 8,883,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
To have a friend, you must first be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or