U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have thought about going to a Sunday Service of the local Catholic Church a couple of blocks away from our house. I have walked past there with my dogs on a few Sunday morning and thought how pleasant the folk are going in there. I walked past last Sunday and the Priest was standing at the front door with all his gear on, welcoming the Catholics in, it was quite chilly, I almost shouted out to him "you look cold" after he acknowledged me, but I thought better of it, he might just have taken it the wrong way. What I like about Catholics and Church of England Anglicans is they seem genuine people, yea they may be steeped in tradition and put up with all the pomp and ceremony and believe a few whacky things, I don't think they try shoving their beliefs down your throat too, so what harm can there be in stopping by having a listen to what they have to say ?.
Your post about a cold Sunday, warmed my heart.

Your right, there is pomp and ceremony. All that "gear", and yes, some "wacky" things.

But I'm quite sure, they'd welcome you in from the cold.

(you may need to leave your furry four legged friends keeping the home front warm )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,755,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm sorry 007.5, but has whatever "church" you've attached yourself to (what IS it, by the way?) placed you under the delusional belief that you personally will be zipping right up to Heaven immediately following your death on earth? And if so, would that be because you have been "baptized" or that other popular one used ... "reborn"? Certainly baptism would have "washed" away your sins - but when WAS this baptism? And since this baptism, have you personally remained free from all sins? Are you claiming to be so superior to about 99.9999% of the earth's population that you are completely free from sin?

I have warned you before, my friend, "Whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall" (1 Cor. 10:1112). I'm willing to let your heresy go since I understand you are misguided - but surely you are not making a claim of being sinless?

I just want to get a grasp on the above, and then I will be more than happy to walk you through the parts of the CC where you have questions/concerns.

The waters of Baptism doesnt wash away sins...only the shed blood of Jesus can do that. Yes, Im going right to Heaven after i die physically with no purgatory to 'rid leftover sins' that have all been paid for by Jesus on the cross as his finished work . Im afraid youre Church has misled you tremendously thinking that you need to work toward saving yourself and that dead catholics deposited works can be drawn from 'a Treasury' to help your salvation too. This is what happens when the Bible is diminished , when Christs atoning death is minimized, and when church inventions are idolized . Youre in grave danger but dont realize it.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,921,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The waters of Baptism doesnt wash away sins...only the shed blood of Jesus can do that. Yes, Im going right to Heaven after i die physically with no purgatory to 'rid leftover sins' that have all been paid for by Jesus on the cross as his finished work . Im afraid youre Church has misled you tremendously thinking that you need to work toward saving yourself and that dead catholics deposited works can be drawn from 'a Treasury' to help your salvation too. This is what happens when the Bible is diminished , when Christs atoning death is minimized, and when church inventions are idolized . Youre in grave danger but dont realize it.
You still don't reveal what denomination it is which you belong to. Why is that? I know you're not shy. I'm assuming you're not ashamed. Is there something within your particular fellowship that you feel some of us might be able to prick too many holes in? I personally take great pride in stating that I'm a practicing Roman Catholic. As you can see from all the barbs you've thrown at my church, there are none which I cannot debate logically with you. What is it that you practice which leads you to have such hatred for 1 billion people? Why are you SO determined that members of Catholicism and Protestantism cannot get along? Surely you have noted that the vast majority of us on this thread (all from various faiths) have said we CAN get along.

Since you obviously enjoy reading the bible so much, might I please direct your attention to St. Peter. "First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, " (2 Peter 1:20). Is that clear enough for you? Further, "And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures." 2 Peter 3:15-16.

With regard to you zipping right on up to heaven, I wouldn't be counting on that there Skippy. When we first come to God in faith, we have nothing in our hands to offer him. Then he gives us grace to obey his commandments in love, and he rewards us with salvation when we offer these acts of love back to him (Rom. 2:611, Gal. 6:610, Matt. 25:3440). Well, my friend, since I'm not precisely feeling an overwhelming sense of love and understanding from you (but rather judgment - and we all know the quote of not doing that, now don't we), I would venture to guess that the express pass you think you are clinging to has been voided.

John explained that "the way we may be sure that we know him is to keep his commandments. Whoever says, I know him, but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:34, 3:1924, 5:34). And remember, Christ came to bring a new faith, and one of his commandments was to "love one another as you love yourself". Again, I'm just not getting that loving feeling from you, 007.5.

Read his letters and see how often Paul warned Christians against sin. He would not have felt compelled to do so if their sins could not exclude them from heaven (see, for example, 1 Cor. 6:910, Gal. 5:1921).

Paul reminded the Christians in Rome that God "will repay everyone according to his works: eternal life for those who seek glory, honor, and immortality through perseverance in good works, but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness" (Rom. 2:68).

But look, 007.5 - there IS good news in all this (see, I'm like one of the apostles to you - I'm coming to give you the good news!). Do you remember the CCC you quoted about the store of prayers being held in treasury to release people from Purgatory? Well - wait for it - that treasury is for ALL people!! Not just us Catholics! So what I want you to rest assured of, my friend, is that when your time does come, and if by chance you find that the express pass you thought you had to heaven has indeed been voided, then all those novenas and rosaries and prayers that I've been offering up for the poor suffering souls in Purgatory since I was just a cute little thang will be there waiting for you to use.

You see us Catholics?! Always giving - that's us. And no, 007.5 - there is NO need to thank me. You went a little astray, you misdirected your anger, you stored your anger like a treasure trove - but I still forgive you. And I want you to get your eternal reward. Even if I have to do a few extra novenas for you to achieve it!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,805,025 times
Quote:
You still don't reveal what denomination it is which you belong to. Why is that? I know you're not shy. I'm assuming you're not ashamed. Is there something within your particular fellowship that you feel some of us might be able to prick too many holes in? I personally take great pride in stating that I'm a practicing Roman Catholic. As you can see from all the barbs you've thrown at my church, there are none which I cannot debate logically with you. What is it that you practice which leads you to have such hatred for 1 billion people? Why are you SO determined that members of Catholicism and Protestantism cannot get along? Surely you have noted that the vast majority of us on this thread (all from various faiths) have said we CAN get along.

Since you obviously enjoy reading the bible so much, might I please direct your attention to St. Peter. "First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, " (2 Peter 1:20). Is that clear enough for you? Further, "And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures." 2 Peter 3:15-16.

With regard to you zipping right on up to heaven, I wouldn't be counting on that there Skippy. When we first come to God in faith, we have nothing in our hands to offer him. Then he gives us grace to obey his commandments in love, and he rewards us with salvation when we offer these acts of love back to him (Rom. 2:611, Gal. 6:610, Matt. 25:3440). Well, my friend, since I'm not precisely feeling an overwhelming sense of love and understanding from you (but rather judgment - and we all know the quote of not doing that, now don't we), I would venture to guess that the express pass you think you are clinging to has been voided.

John explained that "the way we may be sure that we know him is to keep his commandments. Whoever says, I know him, but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:34, 3:1924, 5:34). And remember, Christ came to bring a new faith, and one of his commandments was to "love one another as you love yourself". Again, I'm just not getting that loving feeling from you, 007.5.

Read his letters and see how often Paul warned Christians against sin. He would not have felt compelled to do so if their sins could not exclude them from heaven (see, for example, 1 Cor. 6:910, Gal. 5:1921).

Paul reminded the Christians in Rome that God "will repay everyone according to his works: eternal life for those who seek glory, honor, and immortality through perseverance in good works, but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness" (Rom. 2:68).

But look, 007.5 - there IS good news in all this (see, I'm like one of the apostles to you - I'm coming to give you the good news!). Do you remember the CCC you quoted about the store of prayers being held in treasury to release people from Purgatory? Well - wait for it - that treasury is for ALL people!! Not just us Catholics! So what I want you to rest assured of, my friend, is that when your time does come, and if by chance you find that the express pass you thought you had to heaven has indeed been voided, then all those novenas and rosaries and prayers that I've been offering up for the poor suffering souls in Purgatory since I was just a cute little thang will be there waiting for you to use.

You see us Catholics?! Always giving - that's us. And no, 007.5 - there is NO need to thank me. You went a little astray, you misdirected your anger, you stored your anger like a treasure trove - but I still forgive you. And I want you to get your eternal reward. Even if I have to do a few extra novenas for you to achieve it!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM

37,500 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Default Can Catholicism and Protestantism get along?

Catholics and Protestants can get along just fine . . . their respective institutions and their hierarchies (the "Ism's") . . . not so much. The Protestant schism was the result of the corruption within the Catholic Hierarchy (which has never abated) . . but it has been replaced by similar corruption within the Protestant hierarchies. Strong evidence that Christ was right to forbid ANY such hierarchy within His followers.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Catholics and Protestants can get along just fine . . . their respective institutions and their hierarchies (the "Ism's") . . . not so much. The Protestant schism was the result of the corruption within the Catholic Hierarchy (which has never abated) . . but it has been replaced by similar corruption within the Protestant hierarchies. Strong evidence that Christ was right to forbid ANY such hierarchy within His followers.
Agreed my friend

Like I've said many times here, when people put their focus on God and not the man-made religions that think they speak for Him, we all get along just fine

Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Im not a member of any Protestant Denomination...im simply a Follower of Christ with The Bible as the ultimate truth source . I do attend a Bible Believing and honoring Church in my locale which teaches the real Gospel of Christ that saves , as opposed to a false gospel based on diminishing what Christ has done and elevating what man can do to help his own salvation.

I already have my eternal reward and that is in Christ from start to finish ...my name is written down in the Lambs Book of LIfe in Heaven just as the Bible says it is --- is your name there ?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We can get along just fine as we protest Abortion Clinics , bowl together on a Tuesday night, and enjoy building something together ; but I only bow to The Lord Jesus Christ and get my sins forgiven thru his shed blood instead of replying on a plethera of extraneous measures which have absolutely no efficacy. Oh yeah...almost forgot, I can enjoy a Buffet Dinner at Ryans Restaurant with Catholics too.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM

862 posts, read 642,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
In visiting many local churches from week to week
in 4 out of 5 churches the pastor actually stood there at the pulpit
making derogatory statements regarding the Catholic faith.

It seemed quite off subject, and we cancelled out returning.
Any pastor who hasn't the confidence in his own sermon enough to bash ANY race or creed.. is not worthy of our tithe. Go peddle that somewhere else.

It seemed like the antithesis of "walk in love".. something being a Christian is supposed to evoke.

The good news... if you use discernment there are churches out there that will suit you without feeding you ugliness, but instead you can grow in God's velvety love.
The fact that all these lovely Christian denominations bash the Catholic Church is not a problem for me. I take it as a compliment.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 AM

'It seemed like the antithesis of "walk in love".. something being a Christian is supposed to evoke'

REPLY: Even Jesus himself chose a path of righteous anger toward the Money Changers in the Temple and proceeded to let them know why it was an abomination for them to have their own philosophy to do what they were doing. Paul in Galatians 1:1-10 sure didnt hold back when he said if any Teacher proclaims anything else but The Gospel for salvation...let them be accursed (eternally damned) , then, he even repeated it.

It isnt very loving not to correct someone who is walking in drastic error in the form of a different 'gospel' which cannot save if we really care about them . It is wrong and apathetic not to show them the error of their ways and to point out that their Teachers are heretics in accordance to The Bible (and not based on Ones opinion or personal bias....but on the objective BIBLE -- the Word of God whom both sides are supposed to be treating as the Truth Source) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or