Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,525,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
It seems that only conservative fundies be they Catholic or Protestants are the ones that have all the problems. I never see progressive christians be they Catholic, Protestants etc. have the problems that the first group has.
The first group thinks it is all about religion , while the second group believes it is all about the gospels.
ahhhh....ecumenicalism...I see the results of progressive thinking in Europe where Christianity and the gospel is all but gone now but heh! at least their not "religious" whew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,303,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Fortunately, The BIble being inspired by God for ALL generations, clearly explains critical doctrines especially on how one can get to heaven by having all their many sins forgiven since that is Gods universal salvation plan for mankind. It is up to the Reader to discover how by appealing to Scripture rather than trusting what someone tells them. Paul commended the Bereans in Acts. 17;11 for them checking everything he taught them against the Word of God. Contrast that to the R.C. Canon which says (paraphrased) : The faithful shall submit their entire mind and will to the teaching of the Majesterioum any not question the 'infallable' teaching of The Pope or R.C. church Teachers.

So, we need to see how a Teacher lines up with scripture ; take for instance the following verbatim prayer JP2 prayed in public to celebrate the Marion Year which can be proved to be heretical in light of scripture :

(quote) 'To you, Mother of human family and of the nations,
we confidently entrust the whole humanity,
with its hopes and fears.
Do not let it lack the light of true wisdom.
Guide its steps in the ways of peace.
Enable all to meet Christ,
the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
Sustain us, O Virgin Mary, on our journey of faith
and obtain for us the grace of eternal salvation.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Mother of God
and our Mother, Mary! [SIZE=2]-- John Paul II [/SIZE

The Bible says explicitly that a False Teacher should not be followed and we should disassociate ourselves from him/her because the truth is not in them . The action we choose to take is up to us ... but its a wise man that draws on Gods Word for truth and guidance in his life . Regards.

How beautiful. I miss John Paul

Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,862,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No. Not as long as the RCC continues to teach heresy.
I agree.

The biggest thief in christianity is usually the one hidden in plain sight.

As much as the scriptures testifies of Jesus Christ and points to Him to have life, the RCC only uses His name while pointng to the Church and the works therein to have life.

How can any Catholic call Jesus the Saviour if they are working to save themselves by the works of catholicism?

How can anyone say that what He had done on the cross wasn't good enough and that more was needed?

Hebrews 10: 29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

What was the whole pont of Jesus saying, "It is finished"?

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

The RCC by the works of catholicism that denies Him, have moved away from the hope of the Gospel.

1 John 3:3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

For these believers in Jesus Christ that believe in His name, they should repent by leaving the RCC and the works therein so that their faith in Jesus Christ may be seen as standing apart from the RCC and catholicism.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I agree.

The biggest thief in christianity is usually the one hidden in plain sight.

As much as the scriptures testifies of Jesus Christ and points to Him to have life, the RCC only uses His name while pointng to the Church and the works therein to have life.

How can any Catholic call Jesus the Saviour if they are working to save themselves by the works of catholicism?

How can anyone say that what He had done on the cross wasn't good enough and that more was needed?

Hebrews 10: 29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

What was the whole pont of Jesus saying, "It is finished"?

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

The RCC by the works of catholicism that denies Him, have moved away from the hope of the Gospel.

1 John 3:3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

For these believers in Jesus Christ that believe in His name, they should repent by leaving the RCC and the works therein so that their faith in Jesus Christ may be seen as standing apart from the RCC and catholicism.
Do you really search for truth, or are you just repeating the falsehoods you been taught?

What part of the following do you dispute?

"In faith we together hold the conviction that justification is the work of the triune God. The Father sent his Son into the world to save sinners. The foundation and presupposition of justification is the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ. Justification thus means that Christ himself is our righteousness, in which we share through the Holy Spirit in accord with the will of the Father. Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works"

Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,276,962 times
Decades ago, in a protestant church, I was taught the meaning of the veil in the temple being rent in two at the time of Jesus' physical death on the cross. That moment was the turning point for mankind to be able to have uninhibited access to the Father in Heaven. The priests have never given up that position, instead requiring their parishioners to go to them with all of their prayers, fears, confessions, etc. Using the intercessory position between Christ and the people, the RCC maintains absolute control.
This control is enhanced by confusion in having their flocks pray to saints, and Mary. Confusion is one of Satan's favorite tools. Many catholics I know are still not sure if they're going to heaven. Salvation is not meant to be a life-long guessing game. Peace in our hearts comes when we Know.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,114,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Do you really search for truth, or are you just repeating the falsehoods you been taught?

What part of the following do you dispute?

"In faith we together hold the conviction that justification is the work of the triune God. The Father sent his Son into the world to save sinners. The foundation and presupposition of justification is the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ. Justification thus means that Christ himself is our righteousness, in which we share through the Holy Spirit in accord with the will of the Father. Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works"
You nailed it.

It seems every time I come over to this forum I end up having to explain to people who really should know better that Catholics (ahem) already ARE Christians....

Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,114,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Decades ago, in a protestant church, I was taught the meaning of the veil in the temple being rent in two at the time of Jesus' physical death on the cross. That moment was the turning point for mankind to be able to have uninhibited access to the Father in Heaven. The priests have never given up that position, instead requiring their parishioners to go to them with all of their prayers, fears, confessions, etc. Using the intercessory position between Christ and the people, the RCC maintains absolute control.
This control is enhanced by confusion in having their flocks pray to saints, and Mary. Confusion is one of Satan's favorite tools. Many catholics I know are still not sure if they're going to heaven. Salvation is not meant to be a life-long guessing game. Peace in our hearts comes when we Know.
Catholics believe that Jesus Christ Himself created the Catholic Church to speak for Him in time in matters of faith and morals.

There is no "confusion" in the Catholic Church about this or about the role of the saints, including Mary (the greatest saint of them all). In fact, the only "confusion" here appears to be YOUR erroneous perceptions about what the Catholic Church actually teaches.

Moreover, there are plenty of Protestants who reject the doctrine of "eternal security." Do you think they are also "confused" or is this label reserved exclusively for your Catholic brethren?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
You nailed it.

It seems every time I come over to this forum I end up having to explain to people who really should know better that Catholics (ahem) already ARE Christians....

As I'm sure your aware, I quoted the joint declaration between the RCC and Lutherans.

Didn't want to be blamed for going "off topic"

Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,852,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
ahhhh....ecumenicalism...I see the results of progressive thinking in Europe where Christianity and the gospel is all but gone now but heh! at least their not "religious" whew!
Don't blame progressive thinking, blame the institutional church for not wanting to leave the medieval time period.

I think the Dutch Catholics and Proteatants in this article might question your thinking.

Cover story -- Holland: The Dutch plan

Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 PM

702 posts, read 958,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No. Not as long as the RCC continues to teach heresy.
Quite true. Rome has stayed orthodox in some areas, and that's good, but regarding certain other indispensable doctrines--justification by faith alone, for one--they have gone wrong, and there can be no fellowship with them in this area without blurring crucial lines of distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity