U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,224,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sure, Protestants and Catholics can get along. All they need is a common enemy.
As long as we are civil and respectful without compromising one's beliefs. It is not hard at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM

21,940 posts, read 9,754,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
ya....sola gloria is divisive?????? Which Christus? Morman's Jesus satan's brother or Jehovah Witness, Jesus is Michael the arch angel.......as opposed to Jesus being God. Sounds divisive to me.
Only humans are glory hounds, Fundy . . . that is not a trait of Jesus . . . so it is NOT a trait of God. God IS GLORY . . . he needs nothing from us.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 AM

699 posts, read 494,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I KNOW the latin translation, my brother . . . the POINT of "Christ alone" is that salvation has been accomplished . . . the human race is connected to God . . . something we could not do on our own.
All I can tell you, then, is to read up on the history of the Protestant Reformation as well as the Roman Catholic Counter-Reformation and you'll see what solus Christus really meant. You're just making up your own definition of it.

Quote:
That was the hard part . . . but faith is dead if it changes nothing about you. We have to try to be more Christlike . . .
Only those who are born again can do that, but I agree. You're preaching to the choir. No need to bring that up.

Quote:
to be "in tune" with Christ's love for God and each of us. That is why He gave us the commandments to "love God and each other". . .
Again, no disagreement here.

Quote:
THAT
Quote:
love gets us the cover of Jesus' grace.
BZZZT...sorry, I disagree. Nothing gets you grace but grace. That's what grace means. It seems to me that you take Christian terminology and put your own personal twist on it. Don't do that.

Quote:
Spouting your belief and faith in Christ and NOT having that love in your heart is worthless.
Again, you're preaching to the choir. I agree.

Quote:
There is no magic here. We are NOT here to "brown nose" God and feed His ego . . . we are to be as much like Him in "love of God and each other" as possible . . ."some a hundred-fold, some sixty-fold and some thirty-fold." Since nothing less than "thirty-fold" was mentioned . . . it might be a good idea not to cut corners.
Again, I agree. I exhort you to do the same.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM

18,169 posts, read 8,252,255 times
When i read this question , the first thing that came to mind was why not ? the next thing that came to mind was why does what i believe affect how i may be towards someone who disagree's with me ? , then i experienced sudden transformation through the renewing of my mind has i acknowledged in my heart that there should be no contention in my heart towards another who disagrees with me when i am abiding in His love .

Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM

2,997 posts, read 2,503,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When i read this question , the first thing that came to mind was why not ? the next thing that came to mind was why does what i believe affect how i may be towards someone who disagree's with me ? , then i experienced sudden transformation through the renewing of my mind has i acknowledged in my heart that there should be no contention in my heart towards another who disagrees with me when i am abiding in His love .
We can still have love for another while tactfully exposing the fraud behind their aberrant beliefs as fairly compared to the the Bible which Jesus and The Apostles declared as the ultimate truth standard, and not the traditions of Men . However, it is impossible to blend 2 different methods of Salvation when they differ so radically. Such things we should not compromise on because Jesus didnt.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM

18,169 posts, read 8,252,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
We can still have love for another while tactfully exposing the fraud behind their aberrant beliefs as fairly compared to the the Bible which Jesus and The Apostles declared as the ultimate truth standard, and not the traditions of Men . However, it is impossible to blend 2 different methods of Salvation when they differ so radically. Such things we should not compromise on because Jesus didnt.
Compromise never ever entered my mind , i am talking about my own disposition in a situation of disagreement , and unfortunately in the realms of christianity there's a tendency to judge anothers salvation on the basis on how we ourselves came to it, or our denomination teaches it , God knows our heart .

Jesus is Lord

Pcamps

Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 AM

2,997 posts, read 2,503,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Compromise never ever entered my mind , i am talking about my own disposition in a situation of disagreement , and unfortunately in the realms of christianity there's a tendency to judge anothers salvation on the basis on how we ourselves came to it, or our denomination teaches it , God knows our heart .

Jesus is Lord

Pcamps
God alone judges ones eternity, but there is a good reason he specifically told us how to be saved unto a good eternity with him ... and his Word encourages us to approach others who are going down a path that doesnt take one there to give them the truth. While there are many ways of coming to Christ for salvation....there is only one specific way of having that Salvation and anything else added to it, nullifies the specific way which God chose for mankind . A rhetorical question might be : What are you TRUSTING IN for eternal life ; if it doesnt line up with what God ordained, then the person is lost forever.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,603,294 times
It depends on what you mean by "get along."

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,139 posts, read 930,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Did you really just say that Jesus and the Apostles set the ultimate truth standard with the bible? Or am I misreading. Cause your new testament did not exist for quite a while after they lived. It wasn't until a Catholic council sat down and decided what lined up to there teachings did you get your bible. Well after the reformer ripped some out.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,165,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Did you really just say that Jesus and the Apostles set the ultimate truth standard with the bible? Or am I misreading. Cause your new testament did not exist for quite a while after they lived. It wasn't until a Catholic council sat down and decided what lined up to there teachings did you get your bible. Well after the reformer ripped some out.
My thoughts exactly.

How could Jesus Christ be talking about a book that hadn't even been written yet?

What would 0.75 have looked to as his "ultimate truth standard" had he lived in the first century instead of the 21st and been converted to Christianity say 2-3 years after the resurrection?

Heck--no "New Testament" existed back then from what I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity