U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,780,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Did you really just say that Jesus and the Apostles set the ultimate truth standard with the bible? Or am I misreading. Cause your new testament did not exist for quite a while after they lived. It wasn't until a Catholic council sat down and decided what lined up to there teachings did you get your bible. Well after the reformer ripped some out.
Yes, i did. The Gospels existed soon after the Ressurection of Christ and all but the Gospel of John was in circulation during the time of the Apostles / Contemporaries of Christs life and death / and eye witnesses of the historic ressurection account . See : When were the gospels written and by whom? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry . The Council in circa A.D. 325 didnt 'decide'...rather, they RECOGNIZED which books where to be canonized based on 5 divergent lines of required evidence for inspiration. Thus, the Church didnt 'give us the Bible'....God did, based on stringent qualifications.

The extra Apocraphal books did not qualify as inspiration because they are wrought with geographical errors plus nullify key scriptures in what it declares , the great Roman Catholic Translater named Jerome even refused to translate it, and they were spitefully added in response to Luthers exposing of Romes many madeup doctrines over the centuries which actually nullify critical sections of the Gospels including payment of all sins by Christs atoning work IN FULL plus nothing added. Youll find good info on these and other issues at www.impactapologetics.com if you have an interest. Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,839,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yes, i did. The Gospels existed soon after the Ressurection of Christ and all but the Gospel of John was in circulation during the time of the Apostles / Contemporaries of Christs life and death / and eye witnesses of the historic ressurection account . See : When were the gospels written and by whom? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry . The Council in circa A.D. 325 didnt 'decide'...rather, they RECOGNIZED which books where to be canonized based on 5 divergent lines of required evidence for inspiration. Thus, the Church didnt 'give us the Bible'....God did, based on stringent qualifications.

The extra Apocraphal books did not qualify as inspiration because they are wrought with geographical errors plus nullify key scriptures in what it declares , the great Roman Catholic Translater named Jerome even refused to translate it, and they were spitefully added in response to Luthers exposing of Romes many madeup doctrines over the centuries which actually nullify critical sections of the Gospels including payment of all sins by Christs atoning work IN FULL plus nothing added. Youll find good info on these and other issues at www.impactapologetics.com if you have an interest. Regards.
I have much to say in response to the material you have posted here-- which is full of holes--but before I started to compose a response in my head I went and read your original post to which DNick replied, which read:

We can still have love for another while tactfully exposing the fraud behind their aberrant beliefs

If you REALLY believe, hand on heart, that calling the beliefs of Catholics "fraudulent" and "aberrant" in your opening pitch is how a loving Christian behaves toward a Christian of another denomination -- well, you are seriously deluded.

I've been involved in interreligious dialogue on the internet for many years, and I have met dozens if not hundreds of Protestants who make these kinds of condescending and downright rude statements about Catholics right out of the gate, and always under the pretext of "Christian love."

Although Catholics--strictly speaking--also find some of YOUR doctrines "abberant" and "fraudulent," generally we DO NOT begin, or even "continue," a "dialogue" with you using such language. We are far too tactful for that and further--perhaps because we know we possess the Faith as handed down from Jesus Christ himself and have no need to "prove" anything to people like you--we are able to recognize that "doctrinal differences" do not automatically disqualify most Protestants from being embraced as our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM

21,341 posts, read 21,042,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
ya....sola gloria is divisive?????? Which Christus? Morman's Jesus satan's brother or Jehovah Witness, Jesus is Michael the arch angel.......as opposed to Jesus being God. Sounds divisive to me.
Yup, as I was saying...

"Sure, Protestants and Catholics can get along. All they need is a common enemy. "

Actually, Catholics are pretty civil as a rule. I guess when you're as big as the Catholic Church is, you don't feel all that threatened by the Mormons. So much for loving your enemies, huh, Fundy?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,787,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yup, as I was saying...

"Sure, Protestants and Catholics can get along. All they need is a common enemy. "

Actually, Catholics are pretty civil as a rule. I guess when you're as big as the Catholic Church is, you don't feel all that threatened by the Mormons. So much for loving your enemies, huh, Fundy?
As long as there is pride,there will be divisiveness.Everybody wants to be right. Everybody thinks they know what the truth is. Everybody thinks they are the enlightened ones. Eventhough great minds,philosophers,students of religion,students of the bible, all have different ideas about what the truth is. That`s why it`s almost funny,that a 20,30,40 yr old who has been studying the bible for a few years thinks they are knowledgable and have the truth that others don`t. There is only one truth,isn`t there? Well,which one is the real truth? Is God the author of confusion? Then why all the confusion among religious folk? They will say, I`m not confused,the other guy is because I have the truth. LOL
One day,we all will know the truth.
I also agree with what you said about catholics being fairly civil. It always seems to be the fundamentilist christians that always feel so threatened by other beliefs. They have such fervor to try to make you believe as they do and make you understand that it is they that have the truth. What happened to God being the one that moves men`s hearts and giving men the faith to believe? Men trying to play God.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 638 times
Love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If we really believe Jesus was the son of God, was born-died-and resurected to save all of mankind, then we should practice what he taught and not worry about the "churchey" part of it at all.

sd

Old 10-30-2011, 04:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,306,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, because we are called to love our fellow man and not reject him because he believes different to us.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,780,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I have much to say in response to the material you have posted here-- which is full of holes--but before I started to compose a response in my head I went and read your original post to which DNick replied, which read:

We can still have love for another while tactfully exposing the fraud behind their aberrant beliefs

If you REALLY believe, hand on heart, that calling the beliefs of Catholics "fraudulent" and "aberrant" in your opening pitch is how a loving Christian behaves toward a Christian of another denomination -- well, you are seriously deluded.

I've been involved in interreligious dialogue on the internet for many years, and I have met dozens if not hundreds of Protestants who make these kinds of condescending and downright rude statements about Catholics right out of the gate, and always under the pretext of "Christian love."

Although Catholics--strictly speaking--also find some of YOUR doctrines "abberant" and "fraudulent," generally we DO NOT begin, or even "continue," a "dialogue" with you using such language. We are far too tactful for that and further--perhaps because we know we possess the Faith as handed down from Jesus Christ himself and have no need to "prove" anything to people like you--we are able to recognize that "doctrinal differences" do not automatically disqualify most Protestants from being embraced as our brothers and sisters in Christ.
The final court of arbitration to determine what is sound doctrine or not, is the Bible since THAT is what Jesus himself declared as truth . When a Church has a different gospel than what The Bible teaches , then that Church is apostate by calling itself christian . It is just that black and white . There is no room for ecumanism under such circumstances because the Bible is not to be compromised in an effort to be tolerant to abberrant teachings. And love has nothing to do with the issue ; we can still love others who are wrong but we should never forsake truth in order to do it. I can serve with catholics at an abortion clinic strike but I cannot nor should not embrace some 33 different RCC doctrines which serve to denounce what the BIble says on very major matters, which compromises the finished atoning work of Christ on the cross, and which elevates a poor Peasant girl who carried Jesus now having the same abilities of what God himself has in hearing and answering prayers of people on earth at the same time . Therefore, it is not MY feelings on the differences between Protestanism and RCism...but rather huge objective independent differences based on Gods inspired written instructions to all of mankind which are unchangeable .

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The final court of arbitration to determine what is sound doctrine or not, is the Bible since THAT is what Jesus himself declared as truth . When a Church has a different gospel than what The Bible teaches , then that Church is apostate by calling itself christian . It is just that black and white . There is no room for ecumanism under such circumstances because the Bible is not to be compromised in an effort to be tolerant to abberrant teachings. And love has nothing to do with the issue ; we can still love others who are wrong but we should never forsake truth in order to do it..
Agreed.
The final court of arbitration to determine what is sound doctrine or not, the Bible since THAT is what Jesus himself declared as truth . When a Church has a different gospel than what The Bible teaches , then that Church is apostate by calling itself christian .
Well said.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM

37,747 posts, read 25,429,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Agreed.
The final court of arbitration to determine what is sound doctrine or not,the Bible since THAT is what Jesus himself declared as truth . When a Church has a different gospel than what The Bible teaches , then that Church is apostate by calling itself christian .
Well said.
You should be able to cite proof that Jesus said that about a non-existent Bible! As I recall He said that HE was the Way and the Truth and the HE would abide with us as the Living Word of God.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You should be able to cite proof that Jesus said that about a non-existent Bible! As I recall He said that HE was the Way and the Truth and the HE would abide with us as the Living Word of God.
The scriptures point to Jesus who points to scriptures. John 5:39
Your hatred of the scriptures blindes you from where Jesus pointed to where salvation is found. They are one in the same,

btw....The OT was the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or