U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Florida
580 posts, read 632,006 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Thank you! Good Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
One also can't call out on the women among the gathered congregation Could be termed stalking.

June help me out here and get them back in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,920,447 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus was called a Nazarene. They said he was from Nazareth but this place did not exist in the time of Jesus and there is much historical evidence to back this up that is being revealed in the Dead Sea Scrolls. There was, however, a Sect of the Essenes called the Nazarenes who were Gnostic.

Was Jesus a Gnostic? Paul's epistles and the writings attributed to John are very Gnostic and according to scripture, Paul and John learned directly from Jesus. Are there higher spirititual truths to be found that are not in scripture and how do we find them?
Jesus was from Nazareth, not a city or town, but from the "Branch" or lineage of David. This group of people lived together and were known as the branch. That is why Matthew quotes Isaiah who says a branch will come out of Jesse (the Father of David).

Matthew uses this prophesy from Isaiah to show that the messiah would come out of this group of Jews known as the "Branch" or Nazareth.

Jesus was not a Gnostic, but was trained as a Pharasee. John said to the Pharasees; "26: John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
27: He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose." (John Chapter 1)

The bible is all you need to find spiritual truths. Jesus said that he would send us the Holy Spirity who would teach us all things and bring all things to our rememberance. There is no need to search for spiritual truth outside of the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Jesus was from Nazareth, not a city or town, but from the "Branch" or lineage of David. This group of people lived together and were known as the branch. That is why Matthew quotes Isaiah who says a branch will come out of Jesse (the Father of David).

Matthew uses this prophesy from Isaiah to show that the messiah would come out of this group of Jews known as the "Branch" or Nazareth..
You are correct...but the bible states he was from Nazareth which we know did not exist at that time. There was, however, a Gnostic sect of Jews called the Essenes/Nazarenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Jesus was not a Gnostic, but was trained as a Pharasee.
Says who...I don't see anywhere in scripture where it says Jesus was trained as a Pharisee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is all you need to find spiritual truths. Jesus said that he would send us the Holy Spirity who would teach us all things and bring all things to our rememberance. There is no need to search for spiritual truth outside of the bible.
I beg to differ....that may have been true of the "original autographs" but we do not have them. What we do have has been rewritten and edited and retranslated...not hardly original. While I do believe the spiritual truths Jesus imparted to us can be mined from the bibles we have today...there are hidden mysteries, as Paul told us in his epistle to the Corinthians, that can only be revealed by God himself to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Florida
580 posts, read 632,006 times
Reputation: 149
Napoleon...Fear of the Turkish Army approching Damacus, on March 30, 1799 Napoleon sent his aide, Junot with 500 men to inspect and observe the interior of the enemy's position and strength.
Near Nazareth on April 10, 1799 they found themselves outnumbered by an enemy force of thousands.
And the sign the leads to Nazareth is being changed back to the original Hebrew-Natstrat, in this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,920,447 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You are correct...but the bible states he was from Nazareth which we know did not exist at that time. There was, however, a Gnostic sect of Jews called the Essenes/Nazarenes.

So, he wasn't from the Essenes, there is no reference to this anywhere. A Nazarene can be anyone who has taken this Vow to be a Nazarite. Jesus was from Narareth, the place where those of the branch or lineage of David dwelt. It was known at the time and among the Jews. The Jews of the time had the Book of Days, so they knew that Jesus was a higher cast then they. That is why it is written that they put him to death for envy, because it was his kingdom that they were in.

Says who...I don't see anywhere in scripture where it says Jesus was trained as a Pharisee.

I just gave you the scripture John 1:26!!!!


I beg to differ....that may have been true of the "original autographs" but we do not have them. What we do have has been rewritten and edited and retranslated...not hardly original. While I do believe the spiritual truths Jesus imparted to us can be mined from the bibles we have today...there are hidden mysteries, as Paul told us in his epistle to the Corinthians, that can only be revealed by God himself to us.
The bible has not changed! Also, it is the Holy Spirit who will bring all things to our rememberance, not looking at the original autograph!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 AM
 
302 posts, read 466,864 times
Reputation: 82
Default He shall be called a "Nazorean"

He shall be called a "Nazorean"

Here is the verse in context that speaks of Jesus being called a Nazarene and dwelling in a city called Nazareth:

"Matthew 2:21 And he [Joseph] arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.

Matthew 2:22 But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."

Jesus was not called a Nazarene because he dwelt in a city called Nazareth. Nor could he be called a Nazarite, according to the law of Moses, because he drank the liquor of the grapes. Numbers 6:3. Jesus was called a Nazarene because he moved to parts of Galilee (including the city of Nazareth) that separated him from his brethren in Bethlehem, Judea. Do you remember, the decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed?

" ... and all went to be taxed every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:" Luke 2:3-4

The problems that are associated with Jesus being called a Nazarene can be resolved if "Nazorean" was a religious title of a consecrated prince to God who was separated from among his brethren.

#5139
nazir, a Nazarite, a consecrated prince to God, from among and in preference to all his brethren.

Joseph, the son of Jacob, was a nazir hundreds of years before the law for a Nazarite was given --or the city called Nazareth was known. Joseph was called a nazir because he was a consecrated prince to God who was separated from his brethren:

Genesis 49:26 THE PROPHECY OF JACOB

26 The blessings1293 of thy father1 have prevailed1396 above5921 the blessings1293 of my progenitors2029
unto5704 the utmost bound8379 of the everlasting5769
hills:1389 they shall be1961 on the head7218 of
Joseph,3130 and on the crown of the head6936 of him that was separate from***5139*** his brethren.251

Deut 33:16 THE PROPHECY OF MOSES

16 And for the precious things4480, 4022 of the earth776 and fullness4393 thereof, and for the good will7522 of him that dwelt7931 in the bush:5572 let the blessing come935 upon the head7218 of Joseph,3130 and upon the top of the head6936 of him [that was] separated***5139*** from his brethren.251

The life of Joseph, the son of Jacob, is proof that Jesus Christ of Nazareth did not even need to live in a city called`Nazareth; nor did he need to take the vow of a Nazarite to be called a Nazorean.

Donna Kupp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 AM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,197,872 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
My quote came directed from the bible....Jesus was called a Nazarene. We now know that a place called Nazareth did not exist...so what do you think was meant by Jesus being called a Nazarene?

An interesting fact, if i remember correctly, was that the Nazarene sect was the first religious sect to use water for baptism, before John the baptist and Christ were ever born. Also the Nazarenes were called the Baptists. Before the Nazarene sect the Hebrews only anointed with oil. They later became one of the first sects to accept Christ as messiah and even the virgin birth and resurrection. Also the nazarenes inhabited the land of Nazareth, whether or not it was called that in those times i cannot say. But the Nazarenes where native to the local area that Christ was raised.

IN truth im not sure what the connection is between the Essenes and the Nazarenes, but the Essenes were known as "necromancers" because they would go around healing the sick and raising the dead according to some sources.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-19-2009 at 01:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
An interesting fact, if i remember correctly, was that the Nazarene sect was the first religious sect to use water for baptism, before John the baptist and Christ were ever born. Also the Nazarenes were called the Baptists. Before the Nazarene sect the Hebrews only anointed with oil. They later became one of the first sects to accept Christ as messiah and even the virgin birth and resurrection. Also the nazarenes inhabited the land of Nazareth, whether or not it was called that in those times i cannot say. But the Nazarenes where native to the local area that Christ was raised.

IN truth im not sure what the connection is between the Essenes and the Nazarenes, but the Essenes were known as "necromancers" because they would go around healing the sick and raising the dead according to some sources.
EXACTLY....I believe Jesus was a Nazarene (of the Nazarene Sect)...just like we are told he was. It explains all the very Gnostic scripture that we have alot of which Rome couldn't edit out without destroying most of the NT and also explains the spiritual applications Jesus applied to His words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
He shall be called a "Nazorean"

Here is the verse in context that speaks of Jesus being called a Nazarene and dwelling in a city called Nazareth:

"Matthew 2:21 And he [Joseph] arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.

Matthew 2:22 But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."

Jesus was not called a Nazarene because he dwelt in a city called Nazareth. Nor could he be called a Nazarite, according to the law of Moses, because he drank the liquor of the grapes. Numbers 6:3. Jesus was called a Nazarene because he moved to parts of Galilee (including the city of Nazareth) that separated him from his brethren in Bethlehem, Judea. Do you remember, the decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed?

" ... and all went to be taxed every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:" Luke 2:3-4

The problems that are associated with Jesus being called a Nazarene can be resolved if "Nazorean" was a religious title of a consecrated prince to God who was separated from among his brethren.

#5139
nazir, a Nazarite, a consecrated prince to God, from among and in preference to all his brethren.

Joseph, the son of Jacob, was a nazir hundreds of years before the law for a Nazarite was given --or the city called Nazareth was known. Joseph was called a nazir because he was a consecrated prince to God who was separated from his brethren:

Genesis 49:26 THE PROPHECY OF JACOB

26 The blessings1293 of thy father1 have prevailed1396 above5921 the blessings1293 of my progenitors2029
unto5704 the utmost bound8379 of the everlasting5769
hills:1389 they shall be1961 on the head7218 of
Joseph,3130 and on the crown of the head6936 of him that was separate from***5139*** his brethren.251

Deut 33:16 THE PROPHECY OF MOSES

16 And for the precious things4480, 4022 of the earth776 and fullness4393 thereof, and for the good will7522 of him that dwelt7931 in the bush:5572 let the blessing come935 upon the head7218 of Joseph,3130 and upon the top of the head6936 of him [that was] separated***5139*** from his brethren.251

The life of Joseph, the son of Jacob, is proof that Jesus Christ of Nazareth did not even need to live in a city called`Nazareth; nor did he need to take the vow of a Nazarite to be called a Nazorean.

Donna Kupp
Hi Donna...

Would you explain what this has to do with? Why is this important? I don't understand.

Thank you...Love,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top