U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times
Reputation: 1690

Advertisements

A very informative study on Nazareth can be found at: The truth about Nazareth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
 
302 posts, read 466,864 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Hi Donna...

Would you explain what this has to do with? Why is this important? I don't understand.

Thank you...Love,
Verna.
Matthew was one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. His testimony has some distinctive characteristics such as the many events in the life and ministry of Jesus that fulfilled the prophecies that identify Jesus Christ of Nazareth as the promised Messiah.

The authority of God has always been attacked by the words: "Hath God said?" (Genesis 3:1) Once satan can cause a person to doubt the trustworthiness of Matthew's testimony that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the promised Ruler of Israel, a man of lawlessness will soon appear.

The mystery of lawlessness is already at work when a man rules his life instead of God.

Donna Kupp

" Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." 1 John 2:18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Matthew was one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. His testimony has some distinctive characteristics such as the many events in the life and ministry of Jesus that fulfilled the prophecies that identify Jesus Christ of Nazareth as the promised Messiah.

The authority of God has always been attacked by the words: "Hath God said?" (Genesis 3:1) Once satan can cause a person to doubt the trustworthiness of Matthew's testimony that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the promised Ruler of Israel, a man of lawlessness will soon appear.

The mystery of lawlessness is already at work when a man rules his life instead of God.

Donna Kupp

" Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." 1 John 2:18
Now I see...thank you Donna.

Unfortunately, it's just another attempt to discredit the Word of God...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
 
17,749 posts, read 15,026,257 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus was called a Nazarene. They said he was from Nazareth but this place did not exist in the time of Jesus and there is much historical evidence to back this up that is being revealed in the Dead Sea Scrolls. There was, however, a Sect of the Essenes called the Nazarenes who were Gnostic.

Was Jesus a Gnostic? Paul's epistles and the writings attributed to John are very Gnostic and according to scripture, Paul and John learned directly from Jesus. Are there higher spirititual truths to be found that are not in scripture and how do we find them?

Hi ChristyGrl,

Where do you see Gnostic from Paul?

Timothy 3

God[c] was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.

Timothy 4
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
That is not very Gnostic as I understand it through the eyes of Irenaeus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi ChristyGrl,

Where do you see Gnostic from Paul?
Have you ever read gnostic scripture? If not...please do and then compare it to not only Pauls but to Johns writings and you will see what I mean. Sorry...but I can't do the homework for you.

Be Blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
 
302 posts, read 466,864 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
EXACTLY....I believe Jesus was a Nazarene (of the Nazarene Sect)...just like we are told he was. It explains all the very Gnostic scripture that we have alot of which Rome couldn't edit out without destroying most of the NT and also explains the spiritual applications Jesus applied to His words.
Good morning ChristyGrl,

The apostle Paul gave these instructions to Timothy for establishing correct doctrine:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2 Timothy 3:16

(Paul's words could only refer to the Old Testament because he was just writing his letter to Timothy.)

This thread has had many opinions and speculations about this verse:

"And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." Matthew 2:23

In post #57 of this thread, I went to the Old Testament to establish the fact that Jesus was called a "nazir" because he was separated from his brethren in Bethlehem of Judaea.

Donna Kupp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Good morning ChristyGrl,

The apostle Paul gave these instructions to Timothy for establishing correct doctrine:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2 Timothy 3:16

(Paul's words could only refer to the Old Testament because he was just writing his letter to Timothy.)

This thread has had many opinions and speculations about this verse:

"And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." Matthew 2:23

In post #57 of this thread, I went to the Old Testament to establish the fact that Jesus was called a "nazir" because he was separated from his brethren in Bethlehem of Judaea.

Donna Kupp
That is correct...ALL SCRIPTURE...but we don't have all scripture in our bible, we only have what the Church of Rome considered scripture....there is alot of scripture out there you probably haven't considered so you can't really address this post in an educated manner. Once you've studied, come back...I'd like to hear what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,920,447 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Have you ever read gnostic scripture? If not...please do and then compare it to not only Pauls but to Johns writings and you will see what I mean. Sorry...but I can't do the homework for you.

Be Blessed!
ChristyGrl, it is you that has to do your homework. If you present an idea that is off the beaten track, it is you that has to submit the proof. To make a crazy statement and then tell others to do your research is silly.

At least reference one or two statements in the gnostic writtings that you have read and a comparable scripture from Paul or John.

Your oponent has already given proof that Paul was not gnostic, but you ignored his proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 04:51 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,920,447 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That is correct...ALL SCRIPTURE...but we don't have all scripture in our bible, we only have what the Church of Rome considered scripture....there is alot of scripture out there you probably haven't considered so you can't really address this post in an educated manner. Once you've studied, come back...I'd like to hear what you find.
I suggest you go and study and come back with something tangible. You are making no sense. Donna Krupp has presented references to what she believed and instead of you countering with reference you just tell her to go and study some more? This does not an arguement make.

Give us something to discuss. What books do you believe taht the Roman Church did not include? Why is it important? Some books were not cannonized, not because they were not good books, but because they were either incomplete (ie. in fragments), did not show God's relationship to man, or were known to be ficticious.

What book do you like and why? Why is this book you like need to be considered scripture. These books are still around they did not disappear. They were just so unused by the Church that they fell into disuse. In other words, no one wanted to waste their time reading or quoting the crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,813,795 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Lost books of the bible" Don't you think we should just stick to scripture

(2 Timothy 3:15–17)
15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God
...

How do you know those books weren't supposed to BE included in the scripture? It was just ordinary corrupt crooked MEN who picked and chose the books they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top