Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,185,878 times

Advertisements

Jesus was called a Nazarene. They said he was from Nazareth but this place did not exist in the time of Jesus and there is much historical evidence to back this up that is being revealed in the Dead Sea Scrolls. There was, however, a Sect of the Essenes called the Nazarenes who were Gnostic.

Was Jesus a Gnostic? Paul's epistles and the writings attributed to John are very Gnostic and according to scripture, Paul and John learned directly from Jesus. Are there higher spirititual truths to be found that are not in scripture and how do we find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,510,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus was called a Nazarene. They said he was from Nazareth but this place did not exist in the time of Jesus and there is much historical evidence to back this up that is being revealed in the Dead Sea Scrolls. There was, however, a Sect of the Essenes called the Nazarenes who were Gnostic.

Was Jesus a Gnostic? Paul's epistles and the writings attributed to John are very Gnostic and according to scripture, Paul and John learned directly from Jesus. Are there higher spirititual truths to be found that are not in scripture and how do we find them?
"Lost books of the bible" Don't you think we should just stick to scripture

(2 Timothy 3:15–17)
15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God

Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,002,928 times
Quote:
From what I understand, He was a mystic. I don't think He believed in any religion although He studied the Jewish religion and His teachings stemmed from that. He basically started His own belief set.

Quote:
There are plenty out there. You just have to have an open mind that they can come from anywhere.
I learn from Celestials and Magisterial Sons. There are no books on them but they are out there. They are basically for people who have outgrown the bible truths and want to expand on what the bible, or any other religiius book, offers. If you want, I can send you links to several sites. Only one rule. No Negatives because the spirits and one site owner will know even if he's never met you. Awesome person he is!
Alot of the messages expand on what the bible teaches. They go into detail why something was written in the book.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Lost books of the bible" Don't you think we should just stick to scripture

(2 Timothy 3:15–17)
15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God
My quote came directed from the bible....Jesus was called a Nazarene. We now know that a place called Nazareth did not exist...so what do you think was meant by Jesus being called a Nazarene?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
From what I understand, He was a mystic. I don't think He believed in any religion although He studied the Jewish religion and His teachings stemmed from that. He basically started His own belief set.

There are plenty out there. You just have to have an open mind that they can come from anywhere.
I learn from Celestials and Magisterial Sons. There are no books on them but they are out there. They are basically for people who have outgrown the bible truths and want to expand on what the bible, or any other religiius book, offers. If you want, I can send you links to several sites. Only one rule. No Negatives because the spirits and one site owner will know even if he's never met you. Awesome person he is!
Alot of the messages expand on what the bible teaches. They go into detail why something was written in the book.
Although I know the Church of Rome rewrote and tried to edit out all of the Gnosticlike references that were in scripture...they didn't edit them all out. Paul's epistles to the Corinthians are a perfect example of that. Paul stated that although the Corinthian church had received all the knowledge of Christ crucified...this was just the simple faith or the "milk" they were taught...they were too carnal to receive the higher mysteries of God or the "solid food"...which can only be shared with those who have been perfected. He also stated that he had shared those mysteries with others so we know that perfection is attainable. It is a historical fact that John's books almost didn't make it into the canon because they were too Gnostic.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,002,928 times
At that time, Nazareth was just a village so it probably had no significance. It may have not been mentioned in the history of the area for that reason.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,132,532 times
Quote:

It is actuallly a great question. I sure don't have the answers, but have you read Numbers 6? Check it out. BTW, Samson was a Nazarite. Judges 13

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,510,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
It is actuallly a great question. I sure don't have the answers, but have you read Numbers 6? Check it out. BTW, Samson was a Nazarite. Judges 13
Actually Nazareth did exist, this is an old argument put to rest a long time ago, it was right there with the existence of King David.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
At that time, Nazareth was just a village so it probably had no significance. It may have not been mentioned in the history of the area for that reason.
That thought comes directly from the Church of Rome...they had to segregate Jesus from the sect in order to expound their pagan views.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Actually Nazareth did exist, this is an old argument put to rest a long time ago, it was right there with the existence of King David.
OMGoodness...do you know what a Nazarite was? I suggest you go study that one and you will be delightfully enlightened. The town of Nazareth did not exist and has absolutely nothing to do with a Nazarite Vow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity