U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-24-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Reputation: 1690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Nobody with even beginning knowledge of what is in Scripture concerning the English word "hell" would defer to you. For your own benefit, yield to Bible facts. "Hell" is pasted over a handfull of words the Holy Spirit chose to make His revelation known. God intended something by saying "hades" and in other places he meant something else by saying "geehena," or "tartarus," or He wouldn't have spelled them differently. Nothing in the original language says they are all the same thing as indicated in English. What is perhaps foremost in people's minds when they hear the word hell is the lake of fire which is never called hell in Scripture.

God has spoken. What we endure entirely too much of is men's interpretations of what God meant to say rather the actual words chosen by the Holy Spirit to convey God's revelation. If we would bow our hard heart and turn our stiff necks to what God says or does not say, limiting our expression of faith to the actual words of the Bible, verified by the original Scripture, we would make more rapid progress entering into the Divine nature. It is by the use of concordances to determine whether something is written or not we can implement the authority of Scripture to which there is at least widespread lip-service.
It really is sad that all those proper nouns are translated as "hell".. but nonetheless.. I can't rep you so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,487,756 times
Reputation: 241
The fire of hell is real...

The pain of hell is ever lasting...

the suffering never stops...there is no day, no night, just pain ,,,unending pain. while all the time you watch as far off the Christians enjoy pure joy forever..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
 
37,500 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Reputation: 5855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The fire of hell is real...

The pain of hell is ever lasting...

the suffering never stops...there is no day, no night, just pain ,,,unending pain. while all the time you watch as far off the Christians enjoy pure joy forever..
What an utterly vile vision!! I can only vaguely guess at the kind of soul it takes to accept it as a part of reality. Such a soul would seem to be far more suited to such a fate . . . than one that would escape it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM
 
2,945 posts, read 4,772,205 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The fire of hell is real...

The pain of hell is ever lasting...

the suffering never stops...there is no day, no night, just pain ,,,unending pain. while all the time you watch as far off the Christians enjoy pure joy forever..
Have you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,487,756 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Have you been there?
What we have in the story of Lazarus is a first hand account of what Hell is like...

As far as I know this is the only real first hand account we have of what the people in hell's fire experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
What we have in the story of Lazarus is a first hand account of what Hell is like...

As far as I know this is the only real first hand account we have of what the people in hell's fire experience.
you think this is an actual experience? LOL You must know I can't help but love you alan, but some of what you say makes me chuckle just a bit..

Lazarus coming out of hell must tell you that hell is not a permanent place then... right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,487,756 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
you think this is an actual experience? ....

Lazarus coming out of hell must tell you that hell is not a permanent place then... right?
Hell is for the lost....
What Abraham said is that no one in hell can get out, nor can anyone in paradise get to hell and help them with a drop of water.

But there is nothing to say that the people in paradise cant be raised to new life.
In deed, the reason for paradise is for the saved to find comfort as the mission of Christ is completed.
The reason for hell is it is a place of pain and torment until the Resurrection, then the whole membership of hell is cast into the everlasting flame of the lake of fire....the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
702 posts, read 844,442 times
Reputation: 204
Default Blessed or censured by God

I wonder about some people's minds. Perhaps Satanic strongholds in darkness explains it. It is such a slander against the character of the true God! keeping many away from Him. But what my mind is dazzled at is they have the same Bible(s) I do. It's right there in plain view to consult. Certain facts have been freely given them. They can easily verify whether it's truth or lie. As I said, the English "hell" is pasted over several different words in Greek that are not connected in the original. The lake of fire is never called "hell" by the Bible. Why would anyone who cared about what God says or even what they themselves say continue to use such confused and deceiving terminology?

It's not that way because I said it. Anybody who can read and is not bound by a demon of sloth can check it out for themselves. God says, "Who honors me I will honor." Why would you take up the names (nature) of other gods that be no gods in your mouth?

I can't play fast and lose with God's word and expect to get anywhere in His sight but in trouble with the only One Who should be feared. I want His blessing, not censure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
 
34 posts, read 36,096 times
Reputation: 24
Default You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post

For years, because that was what I was taught and the people around me believed it, I believed in a hell of screaming torture for ever for most people. But, if anyone can think about it for a little while, I don't see how they can think it makes any sense.

I know, we're supposed to believe what is written. The problem is English translations, not the original language text.

Like the phrase, "everlasting punishment" (only in Mt 25:46, AV) doesn't speak of ceaseless torture for ever as many thoughtlessly assume. If it was continuous and for ever the English would say, "everlasting punishing."
Yes, yes my friend! I also agree with you! The Bible teaches that the lost will be "destroyed" - not tortured forever! The lost soul is not immortal, because immortality comes only through the gospel (2 Tim 1:10) This is called "Conditional Immortality" and there is a great site on this Why Conditional Immortality is true and biblical jewishnotgreek.com

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,199,823 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic Jew A Long Time View Post
Yes, yes my friend! I also agree with you! The Bible teaches that the lost will be "destroyed" - not tortured forever! The lost soul is not immortal, because immortality comes only through the gospel (2 Tim 1:10) This is called "Conditional Immortality" and there is a great site on this Why Conditional Immortality is true and biblical jewishnotgreek.com

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the link Messianic Jew a Long time ... However i believe James will tell you that he believe in "universal reconciliation", or the doctrine of "the restitution of all things" ... I do as well ... We believe that God will save all his creatures from the power of sin and death in the end.

Here is a link were you will find many questions you may have concerning this teaching otherwise known in the earliest years of the church as "Apokatastasis".

This is an online copy of a book written by Andrew Jukes ...
The Restitution of All Things, Andrew Jukes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top