U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
 
78 posts, read 87,683 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

i was reading in another thread where the lake of fire was mention, having questions and not wanting to highjack the other thread, thought i would ask the questions in a new thread. i want to take them one at a time for clarity to each:

i read in Rev20:
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.



would it be safe to assume that the lake of fire is where the eternal punishment will take place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipidydoodaa View Post
i was reading in another thread where the lake of fire was mention, having questions and not wanting to highjack the other thread, thought i would ask the questions in a new thread. i want to take them one at a time for clarity to each:

i read in Rev20:
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.



would it be safe to assume that the lake of fire is where the eternal punishment will take place?
Our version of "Hell" is not the same as The Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire/second death is corrective not eternal and endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Germany
1,647 posts, read 1,706,819 times
Reputation: 842
I understand second death literally, I think human beings will die there, I think 2 Peter 3:7 might refer to the lake of fire.

By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

However I believe that second death is not everlasting, 1Co 15:21-26

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,135 posts, read 8,226,063 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Our version of "Hell" is not the same as The Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire/second death is corrective not eternal and endless.
So what is this Jesus is speaking of?

Matthew 18

8If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Reputation: 636
I believe the Lake of Fire is the second death . . . and that it is literal . . and everlasting. After it is destroyed, no more sin or death . . . nothing unholy will be allowed to enter the city . . . Lake of Fire is the permanent second death . . equal to Cease to Exist . . . forevermore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So what is this Jesus is speaking of?

Matthew 18

8If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.
What he is saying is clean up your life while you're alive....pick up your cross daily and follow him....be perfect as the Father is perfect...before you leave this physical life because if you don't you will be punished and purified of all sin after. Is Jesus not the refiners fire? We are all tried in the fire during our lives....some of us learn the lesson while alive and then some of don't and pay the consequences later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What he is saying is clean up your life while you're alive....pick up your cross daily and follow him....be perfect as the Father is perfect...before you leave this physical life because if you don't you will be punished and purified of all sin after. Is Jesus not the refiners fire? We are all tried in the fire during our lives....some of us learn the lesson while alive and then some of don't and pay the consequences later on.
What does ashes mean?

What does perish mean?

What does devoured mean?

What does slain mean?

What does destroyed mean?

What does die mean?

What does unquenchable fire mean? What does everlasting/eternal mean . . . What does unquenchable fire mean??

Reallly???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,135 posts, read 8,226,063 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What he is saying is clean up your life while you're alive....pick up your cross daily and follow him....be perfect as the Father is perfect...before you leave this physical life because if you don't you will be punished and purified of all sin after. Is Jesus not the refiners fire? We are all tried in the fire during our lives....some of us learn the lesson while alive and then some of don't and pay the consequences later on.
So eternal doesn't really mean eternal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So eternal doesn't really mean eternal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,403,926 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So eternal doesn't really mean eternal?
Read this:
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, Godís purpose of the eons.

And this:
Merciful Truth - Eternity

And this:
The Outcome of Infinite Grace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top