U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,487,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Alright Fundy without referring to John Macarthurs interpretation of repentance tell me what it is ?.

I have addressed confession and repentance it scriptually based but conflicts with your interpretation.

Where is the verse that tells us according to you we confess our sins when we believe?
Macarthur's interpretation of repentance? Were talking Martin Luther, Charlse Spurgeon etc.......confess our sins when we believe? who said that? I confess my sins everyday in my prayer.............

Pcamps lets just agree to disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM

581 posts, read 634,596 times
Default Feel Guilt?

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

John:16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God
Definition of condemn= pronounce guilt
Verdict***we are guilty of sinning against God and not believing in who He is.

Last edited by mercy777; 10-14-2009 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM

30,410 posts, read 20,122,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Macarthur's interpretation of repentance? Were talking Martin Luther, Charlse Spurgeon etc.......confess our sins when we believe? who said that? I confess my sins everyday in my prayer.............

Pcamps lets just agree to disagree
No Fundy i want to know the verse that tells us we need to or have to confess our sins when we believe,so i know whether i am in error or not .

But if you can't answer me that is fair enough as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM

To repent is to acknowledge you have sinned against God and from the heart, you are truly sorry.
Mercy-He forgives me and Grace in my time of need.
I know I have been forgiven and God remembers my sins, no more. God not remembering my sins- I am guilt free. No past, only a new creation in Christ. (Grace)
When the past is brought up..this is the workings of busybob trying to aggrevate your faith. Guilt trip.
I was not found by Christ because of guilt, mine was lack of knowledge. However, when the knowledge of sin was revealed, I understood my guilty verdict. Then I confessed all the sins I committed, yesterday, today and my future sins. I knew I was utterly sinful and every inclination in my heart was evil. Then mercy gave me the will to surrender to the Cross of Christ and his Grace flooded my every being. I needed Him to save me for I could not of saved myself from sin (death).
Christ nailed all my sins to the Cross and my shame of guilt, He took upon himself. He freed me completely of guilt. He paid my entire debt of condemnation.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM

We do not remember all our sins at once. Only what the Holy Spirit allows. We may do the same sin over and over untill we acknowledge it and ask for forgiveness. Then in the name of Jesus we are released from that sin. Christ is working out our salvation.
In myself, I have had sins that I confessed and repented more than once and believing in Jesus Power in me. I am released and the devil has no power over me pertaining to this sin. Also, when this would happen, I was humbled and grew tremendously in my relationship with Christ.
The one word why? He gives me more and more faith, to his will. Less of me, more of Him.
Confess the sin, say your sorry, then it has no power over you. Ongoing process of faith in Christ's Power in you.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,426,803 times
Quote:
Why must innocent people confess and repent? Why must they believe and worship and say, He is Lord? If you are innocent then the cross is useless?

ALL ARE SINNERS (you, me, fred, joe, jane...)

Christ DIED on the cross taking the aforementioned sinners (YES ALL OF THEM EVEN JANE) sin onto himself

ALL ARE INNOCENT (you, me, fred, joe, jane)

That work was done on the cross. It is FINISHED.

You are trying to say that we can still feel guilty over the sin that Christ took on himself.....

Hebrews 9:14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

1 Timothy 1:5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

1 Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

1 Cor. 10:27-28 But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake-- the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?

HOW can you ignore these verses? It is plain and there are more and more verses... its as if you think GOD puts our sins back on but it is YOU!

If it helps babes..then retain your sins..feel guilty over them, then you can reeeealy feel clean... I only need to wash my feet. The more steps to salvation you take..the wider the path you travel.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

It's as if you think GOD puts our sins back on but it is YOU!
It's the good news of the organized system , full of contradiction , they cannot get beyond being sin conscious,because they have never understood the good news , because to them it sounds to good to be true.

Hypocrisy

Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Fundy have a gander at this

12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, 15since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) 16This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Gentiles never had the written Law and neither did anyone , until Law was introduced , yet they did by nature things required.

Your petty sin loving doctrine has been proven for what it is, another man made doctrine.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,599,812 times
Originally Posted by pcamps
Quote:
Show me from the scriptures where you have to feel,believe or even confess you are guilty
Quote:
I have underlined it so you fully understand what i am asking you,especially in reference to "you have to".

Quit with insinuating we have to grovel to God in repentance .

The reason Jesus went to the cross was so we could be rid of the very thing you are trying to pin on us, an "evil guilty conscience"
Quote:
Why does the bible say to confess AND repent? Confess what, repent of what? why? In the real world ever see an innocent man confess and repent?
Matt. 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,2 "And saying, "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

"Repent" means to have a change of heart/mind for we ARE To feel remorse for sinning against God.

Since I am not perfect/perfected yet I still sin and when I do the Holy Spirit 'pricks' my conscience and I confess that sin because I feel remorse for having sinned against God.

However simply confessing is not enough. Christ said to repent. So after I confess that sin I say, "I repent of ___, and I turn from it." That is NOT groveling before God that is heart felt remorse/regret!!

If I don't admit I just sinned, confess the sin and repent of that sin, then I will, and should have a guilty conscience.

If I fail to listen to the conviction from the Holy Spirit, He will evenutally stop pricking my conscience.

I am not so puffed up as to think I have already attained/arrived and could actually walk in this world and NEVER sin again. Not that would be folly. I hope that's not what you are implying, pcamps.

Last edited by mshipmate; 10-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Originally Posted by pcamps

Matt. 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,2 "And saying, "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

"Repent" means to have a change of heart/mind for we ARE To feel remorse for sinning against God.

Since I am not perfect/perfected yet I still sin and when I do the Holy Spirit 'pricks' my conscience and I confess that sin because I feel remorse for having sinned against God.

However simply confessing is not enough. Christ said to repent. So after I confess that sin I say, "I repent of ___, and I turn from it." That is NOT groveling before God that is heart felt remorse/regret!!

If I don't admit I just sinned, confess the sin and repent of that sin, then I will, and should have a guilty conscience.

If I fail to listen to the conviction from the Holy Spirit, He will evenutally stop pricking my conscience.

I am not so puffed up as to think I have already attained/arrived and could actually walk in this world and NEVER sin again. Not that would be folly. I hope that's not what you are implying, pcamps.
mshipmate if you noticed i asked Fundy not where it says repent but where it says we have to confess our sins when we believe.

Regarding repentance i told him , repentance does not mean stop sinning as this would render the Cross useless .

Oh yea i forgot to mention it's the goodness/kindness of God that leads/causes a man to repent according to Romans 2 verse 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or