Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

I was having a discussion with someone here yesterday about this very issue. He was ok with someone spreading a "truth" that he didn't see as truth or did he see it as scriptural but as long as that truth had some gospel in it then it must be good but isn't some truth still an untruth? Do we as Christians allow or support something bad to take place because the results can be good? Is that right and is that scriptural? Is pragmatism scriptural?

YouTube - The Dangers Of Pragmatism (Part 1) - John MacArthur

YouTube - The Dangers Of Pragmatism (Part 2) - John MacArthur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Isn't Pragmatism the Capitol of the Czech Republic ? I thought it was a pretty cosmopolitan place and not a dangerous one.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
Ok, the first video is 10:00 LONG,,,,there is no way I can watch that.

So tell me what it was about in a sentence and I will tell you my views of it...

Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I was having a discussion with someone here yesterday about this very issue. He was ok with someone spreading a truth that he didn't agree or did he see it as scriptural but as long as that truth had some gospel in it then it must be good but isn't some truth still an untruth? Do we as Christians allow or support something bad to take place because the results can be good? Is that right and is that scriptural? Is pragmatism scriptural?

YouTube - The Dangers Of Pragmatism (Part 1) - John MacArthur

YouTube - The Dangers Of Pragmatism (Part 2) - John MacArthur
Who says one persons "Truth" is any more valid than anothers? What people often don't understand is that there are some who are still being fed the "milk" of the Gospel, while other have moved on to "solid food". We are not all in the same place spiritually and we have to take that into consideration when speaking to others. I could not teach "solid food" to someone who has never heard the Gospel anymore than I could feed "solid food" to a new born babe. We all start at the same place of simple faith, which is the "milk" of the Gospel message and until we mature spiritually, we cannot receive the "solid food" which comes from God.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
I was having a discussion with someone here yesterday about this very issue. He was ok with someone spreading a "truth" that he didn't see as truth or did he see it as scriptural but as long as that truth had some gospel in it then it must be good but isn't some truth still an untruth? Do we as Christians allow or support something bad to take place because the results can be good? Is that right and is that scriptural? Is pragmatism scriptural?
Fundamentalist, I'm not denying that this is a good discussion to have but the bolded part is simply not true. The member you were speaking of in that thread absolutely believed the truth that he was sharing. That was why I said that he was not being a pragmatist. And if you were speaking of me (I'm a she btw) I also believe what he was sharing to be true. That's why I could not understand why you were going on about pragmatism.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Ok, the first video is 10:00 LONG,,,,there is no way I can watch that.

So tell me what it was about in a sentence and I will tell you my views of it...
Do we as Christians allow or support something bad to take place because the results can be good?

For instance gay adoption. I hear alot of Christians say, well as long as these unwanted children are adopted into a loving home regardless if they are gay then I see that as being ok because the good that can come out of it. That's pragmatism

Are we saying the ends justifies the means? If something is wrong then its wrong, it doesn't matter if what you perceive as being "good" can come out of it can somehow NOW make it right?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-16-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Are we saying the ends justifies the means? If something is wrong then its wrong, it doesn't matter if what you perceive "good" can come out of it can somehow NOW make it right?
Unfortunately, in this world, it's usually a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils, and that needs to be decided on a case by case basis, prayerfully.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Fundamentalist, I'm not denying that this is a good discussion to have but the bolded part is simply not true. The member you were speaking of in that thread absolutely believed the truth that he was sharing. That was why I said that he was not being a pragmatist. And if you were speaking of me (I'm a she btw) I also believe what he was sharing to be true. That's why I could not understand why you were going on about pragmatism.
Sorry, not totally about you, however you were a catalyst in this discussion with someone else (we really didn't have a dicussion-I sent two posts your way )

Doesn't matter if you believe you have the truth, it's either truth or it isn't, right? If a person allows or supports a person to be spreading what they perceive to be an untruth regardless if the person spreading it sees it as truth is being pragmatic

Old 10-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Unfortunately, in this world, it's usually a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils, and that needs to be decided on a case by case basis, prayerfully.
I understand that but how does that affect our decisions as Christians?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Do we as Christians allow or support something bad to take place because the results can be good?

For instance gay adoption. I hear alot of Christians say, well as long as these unwanted children are adopted into a loving home regardless if they are gay then I see that as being ok because the good that can come out of it. That's pragmatism

Are we saying the ends justifies the means? If something is wrong then its wrong, it doesn't matter if what you perceive "good" can come out of it can somehow NOW make it right?
You speak as if we are living in a "Godly" country...we are not. We are Godly people living in a "Secular" society and they don't like being told what to do by people who follow God. It also doesn't help when we have churches that allow "sin" to dwell in their midst for the sake of tolerance. When Christians start calling "sin" good and acceptable in the eyes of God and allow it into their midst with no correction or admonition...that is when I walk away and get as far away as I can from them. I do not consider those kinds of people God followers. Sin should never be "tolerated" by anyone who claims to follow God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity