U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM
 
159 posts, read 195,443 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

The interesting thing to remember about this parable is Lazarus is named. This is not a normally parable friends it is real and literal. I can not think of a normal parable that name's a person in it. This is real and is a great lesson for what the after life will be like at death. Either in paradise or in hades, hell, torments (ppl call it several things). That great gulf can not be crossed and it makes sense because our destination is eternal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,589,188 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Believers dont burn in hell my friend....

Only the Lost end up there...

And if you think that Jesus thought that Abraham was not a believer in the Lord?....that's silly
Alan,
Of course I am not saying that. But the parable is not teaching on the faith of faithful Abraham, is it? Apparently not.

Again, if anyone is interested in getting to the bottom of this curious parable then read my other posts is this thread. If you just want to tow the traditional party line - that's your choice, isn't it? Yes it is.

To recap:
1. NO THOUGHT OR ACTION OR MEMORY IN SHEOL/HADES (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

2. No two compartments in the grave (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

3. No angels carrying dead souls to paradise (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

4. No mention of a place called "Abraham's bosom" (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

5. Gehenna is NOT Sheol/Hades - study that out.

6. The lake of fire is not Sheol/Hades - study that out.

7. If any man be ignorant - let him be ignorant - If you want to be ignorant - DON'T study that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Alan,
Of course I am not saying that. But the parable is not teaching on the faith of faithful Abraham, is it? Apparently not.

Again, if anyone is interested in getting to the bottom of this curious parable then read my other posts is this thread. If you just want to tow the traditional party line - that's your choice, isn't it? Yes it is.

To recap:
1. NO THOUGHT OR ACTION OR MEMORY IN SHEOL/HADES (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

2. No two compartments in the grave (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

3. No angels carrying dead souls to paradise (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

4. No mention of a place called "Abraham's bosom" (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

5. Gehenna is NOT Sheol/Hades - study that out.

6. The lake of fire is not Sheol/Hades - study that out.

7. If any man be ignorant - let him be ignorant - If you want to be ignorant - DON'T study that out.
Firstborn

To many good points to not at least cause us to question the traditional teaching of the parable.

Questioning traditional teaching does not mean questioning the scriptures , so anyone who desires to know the reality of the scriptures just don't accept what you are taught as being scriptual on the basis that traditional teaching uses scripture in it's explaination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,500,592 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
If you just want to tow the traditional party line -.
I stick with the text...(Thats kinda what Im known for)
If its not written in the text, then I tend not to write it in there.(Thats kinda what other people are known for)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I stick with the text...(Thats kinda what Im known for)
If its not written in the text, then I tend not to write it in there.(Thats kinda what other people are known for)
Alan can you say that any of the points Firstborn stated are in the text ? and if so where ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,500,592 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

4. No mention of a place called "Abraham's bosom" (in all of the bible) except in this one story/parable. How do you explain that?

.
Because, perhaps , because the fact that ONLY Jesus Christ is the Lord God Almighty, and that his point of view and knowledge of the after life might be able to fill-in any gaps in the Text where the knowledge of others is not as widespread?

But it's hard thing to ask a guy, "Why is that not in the Bible more?", because I didn't write the Bible, it does not reflect my views or thinking.
Ask God, it's His work after all.

The text is what it is...

The text in this story is clearly teaching us something very important about the nature of our existence in the afterlife...I respect its wording and its way of telling us about Hell's everlasting fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Because, perhaps , because the fact that ONLY Jesus Christ is the Lord God Almighty, and that his point of view and knowledge of the after life might be able to fill-in any gaps in the Text where the knowledge of others is not as widespread?

But it's hard thing to ask a guy, "Why is that not in the Bible more?", because I didn't write the Bible, it does not reflect my views or thinking.
Ask God, it's His work after all.

The text is what it is...

The text in this story is clearly teaching us something very important about the nature of our existence in the afterlife...I respect its wording and its way of telling us about Hell's everlasting fire.
Well Alan you say we can only go by what is in the text , so this is not a good enough answer.

You are basically moving the goalposts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,500,592 times
Reputation: 241
The story teaches us some interesting things about the after life.

The dead are in pain...great pain.

The dead understand their pain, they seek with all their hearts to find anything that would lessen their pain....but dont find that relief.

The dead are in flame

That angels carry the believers to their place of comfort.

That there is a wall of separation between the Believers in their state of comfort, that the Lost in their state of agony, that keeps anyone from ever crossing over from one side to the next....so that means..the term "for ever" means what it sounds like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,500,592 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well Alan you say we can only go by what is in the text , so this is not a good enough answer.
.
If a person sticks close to the text then they tend not to fall into traps where they begin to believe what others 'say" a story means over what the text's actually says.

The best advice I have to give is..."Read the story, and believe it's true"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,500,592 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
That great gulf can not be crossed and it makes sense because our destination is eternal.
Very true!

The "for ever-ness' of the state of the lost and the Believers is really hit on hard in this story.

Clearly Jesus highlights that one idea so that we cant miss it's lessons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top