Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Secular education gives one no more Godly revelation into scripture than me sitting in my garage in the hopes I will turn into a car.

Mans interpretation, theology or dogma means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of God's economy. God is spirit and when you interpret scripture with a "literal" eye you will never find the spiritual intent under those literal words.
Don't forget dismissing the gifts from God and ordained by God. So what are your credentials or gifts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
does anybody of you doubt it's genuineness?

The Rich Man and Lazarus – A Pagan Parable (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/lazarus.htm - broken link)

I don't doubt that it's a parable cause taken literally it contradicts dozen of other scriptures, but I can't tell if its a fake story, added later, never told by Christ.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
does anybody of you doubt it's genuineness?

The Rich Man and Lazarus – A Pagan Parable (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/lazarus.htm - broken link)

I don't doubt that it's a parable cause taken literally it contradicts dozen of other scriptures, but I can't tell if its a fake story, added later, never told by Christ.
I agree that it is a parable!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Don't forget dismissing the gifts from God. So what are your credentials or gifts?
So now one must have a Theological degree in order to know the spiritual intent of scripture Sounds vaguely familiar....Church of Rome perhaps

Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I know. In spite of the fact that the Bible says "the dead know nothing." But does anyone believe the Bible anymore? It is getting harder and harder to find real believers.
Ecclesiastes is about a time in the life of Solomon when he had turned his back on God, and was trying every way known to man to find happiness. Solomon was living 'under the sun.' A phrase used many times in Ecclesiastes. What Solomon said in Ecc. 9:5 ''...but the dead do not know anything...'' was the thinking of a man who, having turned his back on God, was now thinking as an unbeliever thinks. His statement in Ecc. 9:5 was not true. It was simply his clouded thinking drawing incorrect and Biblically unsound conclusions.

God allowed the erronious thoughts of Solomon during this time in his life, to be recorded in the Bible in the interest of showing what happens to the attitude, the thoughts, the beliefs of a person who turns away from God. Such a person ends up thinking just like an unbeliever, even though they remain saved.

Luke 16:19-31 is indeed a look at Hades. And it is not a parable. Nothing about it has the characteristics of a parable. It mentions historical people, and it is very clear in what it is refering to. The same Hades that is shown here, is the very same Hades that is mentioned elsewhere in the Bible.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
I described Lazarus. who is Lazarus?
What has Lazarus's condition got to do with coming to the foot of the Christ though ?.
It decribes what he was naturally , life had been from the account we read of him, very hard indeed , but since when does that qualify a man to be saved and kept from the ET fundamental christianity subscribes to ?.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Ecclesiastes is about a time in the life of Solomon when he had turned his back on God, and was trying every way known to man to find happiness. Solomon was living 'under the sun.' A phrase used many times in Ecclesiastes. What Solomon said in Ecc. 9:5 ''...but the dead do not know anything...'' was the thinking of a man who, having turned his back on God, was now thinking as an unbeliever thinks. His statement in Ecc. 9:5 was not true. It was simply his clouded thinking drawing incorrect and Biblically unsound conclusions.

God allowed the erronious thoughts of Solomon during this time in his life, to be recorded in the Bible in the interest of showing what happens to the attitude, the thoughts, the beliefs of a person who turns away from God. Such a person ends up thinking just like an unbeliever, even though they remain saved.

Luke 16:19-31 is indeed a look at Hades. And it is not a parable. Nothing about it has the characteristics of a parable. It mentions historical people, and it is very clear in what it is refering to. The same Hades that is shown here, is the very same Hades that is mentioned elsewhere in the Bible.
Where do you get the "poopie" from

Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
So now one must have a Theological degree in order to know the spiritual intent of scripture Sounds vaguely familiar....Church of Rome perhaps
I apologize Christy but it is a petpeeve when people so casually dismiss good men of God. My father was a pastor who loved God and people and had a doctorate in theology. I saw what he went through, the sacrifices he and his family made for his love of God's word especially the times my brothers and I were stranded outside school in blizzards because school let out early but not his classes.

The manner you casually dismiss these men is showing disrespect not only for them but their families and you undermine the gospel

You obviously do not possess the credentials, gifts nor were you ordained to just dismiss these teachers the way you do.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Where do you get the "poopie" from
He has mentors that provide him with the "precepts and doctrine of men" . . . which he elevates to the status of inerrant truth.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
I apologize Christy but it is a petpeeve when people so casually dismiss good men of God. My father was a pastor who loved God and people and had a doctorate in theology. I saw what he went through, the sacrifices he and his family made for his love of God's word especially the times my brothers and I were stranded outside school in blizzards because school let out early but not his classes.

The manner you casually dismiss these men is showing disrespect not only for them but their families and you undermine the gospel

You obviously do not possess the credentials, gifts nor were you ordained to just dismiss these teachers the way you do.
Fundy it's the Holy Spirit that ordains a man not some theological school.

Acts 13
2 and in their ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, 'Separate ye to me both Barnabas and Saul to the work to which I have called them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity