U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,125,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I apologize Christy but it is a petpeeve when people so casually dismiss good men of God. My father was a pastor who loved God and people and had a doctorate in theology. I saw what he went through, the sacrifices he and his family made for his love of God's word especially the times my brothers and I were stranded outside school in blizzards because school let out early but not his classes.

The manner you casually dismiss these men is showing disrespect not only for them but their families and you undermine the gospel

You obviously do not possess the credentials, gifts nor were you ordained to just dismiss these teachers the way you do.
No problem...I didn't mean to get your dander up. The point I was trying to make was that scripture can't be read with a "literal" eye...there are deeper spiritual meanings to all of the scriptures.

Men are men and they are taught from other men....they all get together in their little schools and they discuss what they think scripture says. That's not to say that they aren't Godly or don't have good intentions...it's just that we have to quit relying on men to give us revelation into the spiritual meaning of scriptures that can only come from God himself. There is only One Teacher and that is God...how do you ever hope to obtain the revelation of the higher mysteries Paul spoke of in Corinthians if you continue to just rely on men for the spiritual meaning of the scriptures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM

29 posts, read 45,060 times
In the "Lazarus and the Rich Man" link, in the first post of this thread, the author of the link posits that the Rich Man stands for the Jews, and Lazarus stands for the Gentiles. The author gives many reasons to support his thesis.

What do you all think?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm55 View Post
In the "Lazarus and the Rich Man" link, in the first post of this thread, the author of the link posits that the Rich Man stands for the Jews, and Lazarus stands for the Gentiles. The author gives many reasons to support his thesis.

What do you all think?
It fits perfectly with the parable...look at the clothes the rich man wears and compare it to the Pharisees. Just consider how the poor were treated by the Jewish elite in the 1st century.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,491,788 times
Quote:

What do you all think?
I think Lazarus was a real guy

Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I think Lazarus was a real guy
He was and they all knew that Jesus had resurrected him...which is why I think Jesus used him in this parable. But I believe He was referring to Himself after His resurrection.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
He was and they all knew that Jesus had resurrected him...which is why I think Jesus used him in this parable.
yes, the use of a guy's name takes this account away from the typical parable understanding where you know the story up front is invented.

When Jesus used the guy's real name it brings it into the area of "eye witness' accounts.

The events of the story become less a teaching symbol and more a telling of real history that has an additional teaching understanding.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
yes, the use of a guy's name takes this account away from the typical parable understanding where you know the story up front is invented.

When Jesus used the guy's real name it brings it into the area of "eye witness' accounts.

The events of the story become less a teaching symbol and more a telling of real history that has an additional teaching understanding.
Like all of Jesus words...there is a spiritual meaning behind every message he gave.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Like all of Jesus words...there is a spiritual meaning behind every message he gave.
and a literal truth

Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM

29 posts, read 45,060 times
Quote:

Here's the significance of the name "Lazarus," according to the article (see the link in the first post of this thread) ...

"Also important to the story is the meaning of the name Lazarus. This Greek name is a form of the Hebrew Eleazer, and it literally means 'he whom God helps.' The use of this particular name is very significant to the message of the parable, for the Gentiles would indeed become 'those whom God helped' through the sacrifice of His son, Yeshua."

If memory serves, Abraham had a Gentile servant named "Eleazer" too.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Here's the significance of the name "Lazarus,"
I think that the guy was a real guy.
The story of his life and death are 100% true.
That his name...was his name.
That while the story does have a teaching side to it that can and does point to Christ, one must not overlook the fact that because Jesus used a real name in this story it is different than other stories where we know going in that the story is invented.

This story is more like a historical account that Jesus took and turned into a teaching about himself and the resurrection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or