U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

37,766 posts, read 25,468,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1. True - but emotions are part of God and us also.
2. The world was spoken (not thought) into existence.
thought precedes speech or it would be gibberish.
Quote:
1. You're right that God does not have any weaknesses - but He does have emotions.
2. I'm sorry that you believe the Bible is inaccurate. I will let you take that up with God. Be careful - He may get angry.
The bible contains God's truth . . . it has been presented inaccurately by primitive savages with limited knowledge and understanding using primitive concepts and ideas about God. That is inescapable. It is why Jesus was needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM

26,438 posts, read 14,312,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have it BACKWARDS . . . Jesus's love for us ALL (grace) provides the cover for our imperfect "love of God and each other." Try reading more carefully.
HA - I like the play on "backwards".

Jesus' love alone does not save. You will find that nowhere it Scripture.

The acts that His love brought forth - those contribute to salvation.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 PM

26,438 posts, read 14,312,575 times
Quote:
thought precedes speech or it would be gibberish.
I have no problem with this statement by itself. Whatever God thought beforehand, the Bible is clear. God spoke, "Let there be...," - and it came into being.

Quote:
The bible contains God's truth . . . it has been presented inaccurately by primitive savages with limited knowledge and understanding using primitive concepts and ideas about God. That is inescapable. It is why Jesus was needed.
There are two word for word translations that are the standard for me - the New American Standard and the King James. The words can be traced back to the original Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT) with an exhaustive concordance. That is about as accurate as you will get from our standpoint.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,232,970 times
Quote:
If you said this about physical attributes (the hand of God), I would agree. But God displays emotions in the Bible. In giving the 10 Commandments, He states that He is jealous. He did not like Israel playing the harlot when they went astray. These emotions were expressed through the prophets.

And they are not "negative emotions". There are times when these emotions are appropriate, as long as they are not accompanied by sin.
The expression that God is a jealous God is the way in which God communicates to our human minds the reasons for his judgments, which are ultimately for reconciling us to him in the end. In such a way that a righteously jealous parent would discipline his children with compassion in order to reconcile them to himself. It is an human expression used to explain the divine purpose of Gods judgments to corrupt temporal human beings.

I don't care if you believe this to be true, that is not why i posted the above response. I'm not here to convince you of higher spiritual truths, that's up to God. I just trying to itterate in greater detail what i thought MysticPHD was trying to say, or at least what i thought mystic was trying to say.

Quote:
Then they killed Him. So much for the higher understanding. Your statement makes no sense to me.
You really need to re-read Romans Chapter 9, which plainly demonstrates that the people who killed Jesus did so because God blinded them to the truth so that they would kill him, in order to reconcile the world through the blood of his cross. Even Jesus said as much when he prayed for God to forgive them, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Quote:
So in brief, you seem to be stating that it's our lack our understanding that causes God to use emotional terminology. And 2,000 years ago, the human spiritual status matured enough to handle Christ's manifestation on earth - and we are getting to that point again today.
No i never said mankind had reached a matured spiritual status enough so as to "handle" these spiritual truths. Or even to handle Christs manifestation or incarnation if you will. They obviously weren't ready to handle either the higher spiritual truths, or his incarnation and receive him as righteous king and savior on a global or even a national level where the hebrews were concerned. I said that when Christ finally Came mankind was finally able to receive his Gospel and the teachings of his higher spiritual truths, not that they could handle it after receiving it. These spiritual truths were only the foundation on which he would begin to build his church and develop his body of believers in order to continue the process of the eventual reconciliation of creation through us. There are still many steps along the way, and i have a feeling things will have to get much worse than they are now in the world because people still cannot handle these higher truths of love and grace and forgiveness and true faith. Even most Christians still refuse to understand because of their own hate and anger and inability to truly forgive and love their enemies. And judgment starts at the house of God, so i wont be surprised to see the world turn on Christians and begin to persecute them more and more in the coming years. Christians cant seem to come out of the dark ages where their beliefs are concerned, so its no wonder the world hasn't been able to take proper example of Christ through the medium of the church even to this day. Then again all things happen for a reason and i believe God is in control, so i will wait on him and not on sottish human religious people to get their heads out of their bums and start doing what we believers should have been doing over the last 2000 years. If this paradox of a relationship between God and man is to much for you to swallow, maybe one day you will be able to begin to understand with smaller bites. Whatever the case may be, Gods will be done.

Quote:
I disagree. The Bible clearly communicates that God has emotions - both love and anger. And the human spiritual condition (of those w/o Christ) is not maturing. We can't get closer to God on our own. We can't understand God on our own.
You can agree or disagree all you want. However, to think that God makes mistakes, or is ever surprised by an outcome, which is the only way he could be emotionally effected by anything, then you don't realize who and what God actually is to begin with. God is always at peace within himself and he is pleased with everything that happens because he knows the eventual outcome and isn't playing a guessing game hoping for the best and being disappointing when things just don't work out the way he wanted. If you can't understand that, and if you cant see the language used to express gods actions towards mankind and the rhetorical reasons for it as being anthropomorphic, then maybe you should really start thinking a little more about your understanding of God to begin with. Whatever the case may be, i hope that you continue to develop and greater understanding of the almighty, omnipresent, omniscient Father we have in the haven above.

By the way ... I never said we could get there on our own. I did say god has been there the whole time leading us spiritually and developing in us the capacity to begin to understand him, through baby steps. If you reread what i said, maybe you'll see that.

Amen and Selah,
Ironmaw1776

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-28-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,592,340 times
Quote:
I meant the "Be angry..." part facetiously since we were speaking on God's emotions - sorry, I forgot the smiley face - rookie poster mistake on my part.
Okay, I'm not sad anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or