U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Just a check, anyone still think this Lazarus is not the same one in the account of Lazarus and the Rich man?

Anyone?.... going twice....?

There is more you know....

Okay Paul, lets say you are right and Lazarus of the parable is the same Lazarus whom Christ resurrected and in fact Lazarus was a Jew and not a gentile. I ask you again to please interpret the parable for us, according to what you understand it to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
HMMM....back in those days anyone who was not a proselyte of the Pharisaical realm was considered a Gentile, whether they be Israelite, Samaritan, Greek, Roman etc.

This is true as well ... And in this sense, even Christ himself and everyone of his disciples could have and indeed were(according to the pharisees) considered to be gentiles. As would Lazarus have been in knowledge of the fact that he and his sisters supported Christ even against the pharisees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
I have to leave ... I hope to continue this conversation at a later time.


Namaste ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,486,442 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
? If Simon the leper is Lazarus, couldn't simon the leper/lazarus be the very same disciple of Jesus Simon the Cannanite?.
If you can connect Simon the Canaanite to Mary and her sister?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,626,466 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
How do you know that Lazarus is Simon the leper. Could it be that Lazarus was Simon's son? If Simon the leper is Lazarus, couldn't simon the leper/lazarus be the very same disciple of Jesus Simon the Cannanite? In which Case Lazarus would in fact himself have been a gentile, which would be in line with the symbolism of dogs ...


Mat 10:4
"Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him."

Mar 3:18
"And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite, ... "

And seeing that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man was told by Christ before Lazarus died to begin with, how can you say for sure the same Lazarus of the parable was the same Lazarus whom Christ resurrected? As the name Lazarus is most likely a Greek translation of one of the Hebrew names 'El`azar or 'Eliy`ezer ... Elazar just being an extended play on the name Eliyezer, both mean the same thing, the difference being a reference to past or present tense in the sense of God having helped (past tense) or God helping (present tense).

Again i point you to my post #51 in this thread.
Ironmaw, I don't answer to the questions of those bent on disagreement. If you believe other than what I'm saying then you present your evidence to the others. I don't reward contention with the mystery. I'll stand in this thread presenting the evidence I have presented and more and you present your evidence and those that desire to seek shall grasp to the message where they may.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,486,442 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
And seeing that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man was told by Christ before Lazarus died to begin with, how can you say for sure the same Lazarus of the parable was the same Lazarus whom Christ resurrected?
a moot point.
I would not hang too much of this argument as we all know from looking at the first 4 books of the New Test that not every event is recorded in a timeline that is always in agreement with the other 3 accounts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,626,466 times
Reputation: 575
I don't suspect that Ironmaw knows how I operate on these matters. When someone opposes the message I preach they get but A spoonfull via their contention. Whereas those that believe get their bellies filled.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,486,442 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I ask you again to please interpret the parable for us, according to what you understand it to mean?
The story highlights the fact that Lost suffer in torments.

You want to know what Jesus taught about the people in hell?
Is there a real fire in hell?
Look at the statement made by such a person in the story Jesus told...

" I am in agony in this fire."

There you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I don't suspect that Ironmaw knows how I operate on these matters. When someone opposes the message I preach they get but A spoonfull via their contention. Whereas those that believe get their bellies filled.

Paul
I asked what your interpretation of the parable is and this is your response? Sometimes you make me wonder about your actual intentions. Okay ... Whatever ... so be it. I get a strange feeling for some reason about you motives. But that is between you and God, just as my motives are between he and I. Do as you will ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The story highlights the fact that Lost suffer in torments.

You want to know what Jesus taught about the people in hell?
Is there a real fire in hell?
Look at the statement made by such a person in the story Jesus told...

" I am in agony in this fire."

There you have it.

I know what you believe, but Paul is supposedly according to his own words a believer in UR ...


Paul, do you agree with Alan's interpretation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top