Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times

Advertisements

another reason I think that the leper is also the brother of Mary and Martha is that it would answer the question why this is the only story Jesus told where he connected one guy's name to it?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

Paul, do you agree with Alan's interpretation?
a better way to ask that question would be...

Paul do you find as much wrong with Alan's interpretation as the rest of us?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Just a check, anyone still think this Lazarus is not the same one in the account of Lazarus and the Rich man?

Anyone?.... going twice....?

There is more you know....
Hi trettep,

What is the evidence that Lazarus in John 11 & 12 is the same one in Luke 16? Just curious, cause I don't see it.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
I know what you believe, but Paul is supposedly according to his own words a believer in UR ...

Paul, do you agree with Alan's interpretation?
Alan, I'm a universalist and run contrary to many of the univeralists here. I don't have a minister to greet me with a smile on Sunday morning. I have God's Word that greets me with nails and lumber.

Paul

Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
another reason I think that the leper is also the brother of Mary and Martha is that it would answer the question why this is the only story Jesus told where he connected one guy's name to it?...

Alan ... Lazarus is the common Koine Greek Interpretation of the two names Eleazar and Eliezer ... If Christ was speaking to the pharisees, then you would expect him to use language and names of people who they would recognize. Seeing that Christ had not yet ressurected Lazarus of the new testament, why would he have used the person of Lazarus of the new testament to represent his point to them? He used Abraham, and Lazarus or Eliezer's name in that parable. I tell you this much, the only Eliezer/Lazarus that the Pharisees would have thought he was referring to was the servant/steward of Abraham, and not the other Lazarus.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
. I have God's Word that greets me with nails and lumber.

Paul
Remind me to wear my steel toes when I come over for a visit....

Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Alan, I'm a universalist and run contrary to many of the univeralists here. I don't have a minister to greet me with a smile on Sunday morning. I have God's Word that greets me with nails and lumber.

Paul

Why don't you answer me directly Paul, have you something to hide?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Alan ... Lazarus is the common Koine Greek Interpretation of the two names Eleazar and Eliezer ...
How interesting...was it Mary or Martha that anointed Jesus, or are their names the same to?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The story highlights the fact that Lost suffer in torments.
Yes... I would say it teachs that those who are given much (the rich man dressed in fine linen etc.) but squander what they are given by God, will suffer for it, and their inheritance is given to another.

Quote:
You want to know what Jesus taught about the people in hell? Is there a real fire in hell?
By "real" do you mean "literal"? Spiritual fire is just as real as literal everyday fire and can also bring agony and torments.

Quote:
Look at the statement made by such a person in the story Jesus told... " I am in agony in this fire." There you have it.
None of this proves an everlasting hell in either literal or spiritual fire.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Yes... I would say it teachs that those who are given much (the rich man dressed in fine linen etc.) but squander what they are given by God, will suffer for it, and their inheritance is given to another.

By "real" do you mean "literal"? Spiritual fire is just as "real" as literal everyday fire and can also bring agony and torments.

None of this proves an everlasting hell in either literal or spiritual fire.
Indeed, and im sure the Jews that rejected Christ in that time also suffered intense agony at the destruction of their temple and their being dispersed among the gentile nations, and ever since that time up to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity