U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:13 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Dear Betsey,

No problem, June's happy to answer:

1- June was drafted.

2- June doesn't think it's a matter of any 'argument' that would or could help her to "make a decision for Christ Jesus.' At the moment, June honestly doesn't have a clue how she could or would make that decision. (That's an honest/real answer.)

3- June has the feeling you are asking her something that she can't honestly answer...How could June possibly 'know' that Jesus Christ = "God?" June has read and read and read the bible, but trust me: Belief is not the cognitive process you all might think it is.

Take gentle honest care,

-June

Appreciate your honesty. Thank you June and goodnight. Betsey is turning in for the evening. See you in the rise.......God spare life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Quote:
Dear lifesign,

Damn right June does!

She keeps it locked up in her Super Secret Moderator Lock Box, accessible only by cryptic combination codes derived from carefully formulated scriptural verse and passage numbers.

Take gentle secret care,

-June

Your a pisser . . . (can we say that on the Christianity forums?)

Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
1. Antlered Chamataka
2. Antlered Chamataka
3. Antlered Chamataka
4. Antlered Chamataka
5. Antlered Chamataka
6. Antlered Chamataka
7. Antlered Chamataka
8. Antlered Chamataka
9. Antlered Chamataka
10. Antlered Chamataka and June 7th (This spot is tied)

This was what I suspected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,982 times
Quote:
Dear Troop,

Something tells June Sartre might not agree with you. June's not so sure that she agrees with you, either. June feels it has more to do with man's response to that "change over time" than it has to do with anything else.

P.S. Oh, and don't leave Kierkegaard out of the equation!

Take gentle existential care,

-June
I don't want to intrude on this conversation but it's so interesting. Since you invoked Kierkegaard--who said that belief in God, like love, is beyond rational accounting--when it comes to the stalemate of intuitions, belief vs. non-belief, do you think belief is reasonable? I suppose that's a point-blank question, but I have been curious since you've expressed that certain expressions of belief are "intriguing".

To follow up, if Life is cognition and the human response is weighted towards general benefit over any religious conception of Ultimate Divine Value, then could you consider religion (not any particular one, just itself as a noun) a collaborative cognitive strategy? Do you believe religion (not any particular one, just itself as a noun) has value?

This line of questioning engenders a lot of other questions, so I'll stop. But I know you know it's not hostile; rather it's the kind of stuff I was hoping to get to when I first started reading these forums.

Finally, do you think an "Atheists and Theists Who Love To Garden" thread could bring this forum together?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,580,552 times
June, Do you have a favorite (childhood maybe?) memory you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have a thing for people's favorite memories... esp. those from childhood. It makes me feel kind of giddy being let in on them. (btw..if this is too personal, I totally understand. I'm a pretty private person so if someone says "too personal" I'm like... ok, no don't worry..no need to explain. I totally, completely understand! lol.)

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,771,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
June, Do you have a favorite (childhood maybe?) memory you wouldn't mind sharing?

I have a thing for people's favorite memories... esp. those from childhood. It makes me feel kind of giddy being let in on them. (btw..if this is too personal, I totally understand. I'm a pretty private person so if someone says "too personal" I'm like... ok, no don't worry..no need to explain. I totally, completely understand! lol.)

I was talking to my sister and a friend the other day and we started talking about our earliest memory. Off the top of my head I could remember back to kindergarten. But as I lay in bed that night and started thinking about it and really concentrating, I could really go back further. I have a visual memory of standing in my crib and looking over the side and calling for my mother. A friend of my parents was staying with us at the time and I remember him walking by the door of my room and stopping at the door to talk to me when I was calling out for my mom. I have no idea how old I was but I couldn`t have been more than 2 yrs old. I have other memories from around that time as well. I wonder how far back a person can go in their underdeveloped brain and have recall.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:19 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I don't want to intrude on this conversation but it's so interesting. Since you invoked Kierkegaard--who said that belief in God, like love, is beyond rational accounting--when it comes to the stalemate of intuitions, belief vs. non-belief, do you think belief is reasonable? I suppose that's a point-blank question, but I have been curious since you've expressed that certain expressions of belief are "intriguing".

To follow up, if Life is cognition and the human response is weighted towards general benefit over any religious conception of Ultimate Divine Value, then could you consider religion (not any particular one, just itself as a noun) a collaborative cognitive strategy? Do you believe religion (not any particular one, just itself as a noun) has value?

This line of questioning engenders a lot of other questions, so I'll stop. But I know you know it's not hostile; rather it's the kind of stuff I was hoping to get to when I first started reading these forums.

Finally, do you think an "Atheists and Theists Who Love To Garden" thread could bring this forum together?
Dear Bunjee,

Ah, such very intriguing questions! Having just dragged her wearing 'just June' butt out of bed, June will give your queries her best barely-awake-yet shot!

1- Does June think 'belief' is reasonable? -Yes. For anyone other than herself, she would have to say that she does. Now admittedly, there is something terribly intriguing about that statement, but hopefully June can explain. June would begin by stating the obvious: Since mankind crawled out of the cave, and somehow managed to stand on his own two feet, man has somehow managed to seek out, to find, and to perpetuate belief in something outside of himself. June is nothing if not pragmatic at times. As such, she cannot help but think that that which is truly unreasonable is not going to endure. We humans just simply won't have it. However, the presence of belief as evidenced by the various world religions dating back to ancient times has to account for something, somehow, in having proved adaptable in ongoing existence.

Now, 'reasonable' is a very intriguing concept, as is 'belief.' Let's face it: in her most unintelligent, superficial sense, June would be the first to admit that belief is just as unreasonable as it is reasonable. June says that due to the fact that belief is perpetuated by something else, namely, 'faith.' June supposes that faith is more or less the 'secret active ingredient' in belief (along with a few other things perhaps thrown in) as let's face it: There is something that is also fundamentally irrational (and thus, unreasonable) about the notion of believing in something that is unseen, intangible, unprovable, and at best, only intuited. So her final (short answer) is that June regards belief as being both reasonable and unreasonable.

2- If Life is cognition, could June consider religion (as a 'noun') a collaborative cognitive strategy? --Nope. Unless you are using the term 'cognition' in the same sense that the Hindus tend to think/define it: Whereby 'consciousness' is the fundamental basis of what their belief is rooted in. June would tend to lean in the direction of saying that obviously, consciousness is the starting point for just about everything in man. In order for man (other than June, that is) to engage in faith, much less a belief system, man must be first and foremost conscious of himself, and in some way conscious of that which is 'not himself.'

June does not think that religion is a 'cognitive strategy' at all. Speaking strictly for her 'just June' self, June can tell you that there is no way that she can 'think her way' into believing. June suspects if she could somehow manage to do that, she'd have done it by now. We also would not have the need for a 'believing mod' and thus, we'd have to give Miss Blue to boot. Either that or Miss Blue would have to undergo a 'crisis of faith' such that she ended up losing her faith, thereby switching mod roles. What a shame that would be. Would God really wish to sacrifice one of his children for the sake of another? -June thinks not! So June is therefore grateful of the fact that religion is not in any sense a 'collective cognitive strategy.' June suspects that your God is somehow 'intuited by' creation. To possess a spiritual aspect or nature does not in any real sense strike June as either cognitive or thus, 'rational.' P.S. June, like yourself, also hoped to find questions/threads like the questions you have asked her when she first signed onto this tour of duty. And actually, if memory serves her correctly, there was a time when in fact, there was some discussion similiar to the above...

3- Does June think an "Atheists and Theists Who Love To Garden" thread would bring this forum together? June is -hands down- all for anything that could bring this forum together. June is a ridiculous optimist in her (unreasonable/irrational) belief in mankind's ability and deeply rooted desire for precisely that! However, as much as June would absolutely endorse an "Atheists and Theists Who Love To Garden" thread, June has to be honest with you: Miss Blue would have to moderate that sucker, as June hates to garden. June is "garden illiterate" and has a very deficient 'gardening IQ' index. That's because -truth be told- atheists make extremely poor gardeners. --They just never managed to get that 'vine and branches' thing, and as such, pruning and nurturing something as irrationally unreasonable as a marigold is simply beyond their inherent capacities. Some things are better left to others. Knowing one's limitations is a good thing.

Take gentle belief-seeking care,

-June

Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Dear sparrow,

June finds your question quite compelling, and to be honest with you, she is just grateful that you did not specifically ask her "What is your earliest 'just June' memory" as we shrinks hate to have our methodology turned back on ourselves. That is in large part due to the fact that we shrinks are all nuts.

June's favorite childhood memory: When June was just a 'just June' little June, somewhere around 3 years of age, she remembers being outside, all bundled up in her June snow suit. June was, no doubt, even more adorable even back then, playing for the first time in the snow as her Big June father shoveled the driveway in the aftermath of a snow storm. June's father carved her out a snow cave amid the huge pile of snow that he had shoveled. June has the distinct memory of crawling inside the snow cave, and sitting there cross legged. This was no doubt in some odd way the beginning of her 'just June' nonbelieving soul, as June was totally captivated by this event. June remembers sitting there, surrounded by the 'whiteness' of it, almost colorless in it's being so absolute. More than that, however, June remembers how she felt the intense cold that emminated off the walls of that snow cave, and how she no doubt felt the affective contrast between the cold that her little June body was absorbing, along with the sense of warmth that the presence of her father outside the cave provided. All sound was muffled within the cave, and for a moment, June existed in a white, absolute world of absorbed cold, with only the love of the father to keep her warm. Both the cave -in it's confinement- along with that presence enabled June to feel very held. And loved. She faded into that in her little three year old June mind, and for a brief time, was utterly content amid the colorless, absolute silence. June misses her father...but his memory remains encapsulated in her heart..

Take gentle memorable care,

-June

I need to tell you, and this is the absolute, honest truth: As I am writing this, I am glancing out the window next to my computer.

It's snowing outside. The 'first snow' of the season.

It's presence is bringing on unreasonable and irrational thoughts in June.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-16-2009 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,486,807 times
I believe the balloon boy story was fake....
I think the dad came up with the whole story as just TV hype.

What do you think?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I believe the balloon boy story was fake....
I think the dad came up with the whole story as just TV hype.

What do you think?
Dear Alan,

June thinks there was more than enough hot air to go around in that one!

June's thinkin' of gettin' herself her own hot air balloon. That way, June could soar way up into the sky and soar with the geese. Whatdya think?

Take gentle hoaxing care,

-June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or