U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,489,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I'm curious. Who exactly decides what is a false teaching? Since everyone thinks they are right and all preachers can take a single portion of scripture and mold & shape it to say what they want it to say.
The Bible would be the only standard as to what is error and what is not.

Billy is in-line with several Bible teachings so this video does not show him preaching error.

had Billy talked about a believer in Islam finding God via Islam that had nothing to do with Christ, then Billy would be in error.

That would be an error because the Bible clearly tells us that salvation is from the Jews, and that there is only one way to the Father, and that is by Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,239,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I'm curious. Who exactly decides what is a false teaching? Since everyone thinks they are right and all preachers can take a single portion of scripture and mold & shape it to say what they want it to say.
God's pure, holy Word decides. If it isn't written in the Bible, in Scripture, it is absolutely false.

I believe that the ability to understand His truth as He intends it, comes from the Holy Spirit's anointing upon the eyes and heart of the reader...there are some that just cannot wrap their mind and heart around it and understand it in all of it's truth.

There is only One God, and One Truth...no molding or shaping required...just reading and understanding with a pure heart and a right mind by the Holy Spirit.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,644,369 times
Absolutely right! and everyone thinks Billy Graham is Mr. soul winner/greatest evangelist. People don't be blind.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Billy is Mr soul winner.....we (and I) were blessed by God to have lived when he did and got to hear him in person.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

30,252 posts, read 20,001,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Billy is Mr soul winner.....we (and I) were blessed by God to have lived when he did and got to hear him in person.
I take it you allowed your Missus out for the day then Alan ?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I take it you allowed your Missus out for the day then Alan ?
yah, I bought her some shoes....

Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,760,204 times
Looking at the Transcript below, Billy states some things which sound plausible but when dissected, they are not scriptural ; Billy is certainly one of our best Preachers of all time...but in his later years he succumbed to a watered down salvation message versus when he used to boldly preach 'youre lost without Christ alone' :

1. There is no Body of Christ outside of The Christian Faith.
2. People dont belong to the Body of Christ unless they have made a conscious decision to recieve Christ and his finished work applied to thier sins. We send Missionaries into the world to preach this message so they can be saved and become part of the Body of Christ. There is no such thing as universal salvation.
3. God calling people out of a different Religion, does NOT save them. They must make a conscious decision to accept Christ.
4. Its not enough to realize you have a void in your heart to be saved. Salvation comes by hearing the Word of God preached and a definitive action to move on that by the Hearer.
5. Living a life apart from a Community who does things differently , doesnt qualify for salvation. And beleiving there is a God isnt enough to save either.

Transcript from this show:

http://www.ondoctrine.com/10grahab.htm

And here is the content of the transcript:

Dr. Schuller: "Tell me, what is the future of Christianity?"
Dr. Graham: "Well, Christianity and being a true believer, you know, I think there's the body of Christ which comes from all the Christian groups around the world, or outside the Christian groups. I think that everybody that loves Christ or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time. What God is doing today is calling people out of the world for His name. Whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world, or the non-believing world, they are members of the body of Christ because they've been called by God. They may not even know the name of Jesus, but they know in their hearts they need something that they don't have and they turn to the only light they have and I think they're saved and they're going to be with us in heaven."
Dr. Schuller: "What I hear you saying is that it's possible for Jesus Christ to come into a human heart and soul and life even if they've been born in darkness and have never had exposure to the Bible. Is that a correct interpretation of what you're saying?"
Dr. Graham: "Yes it is because I believe that. I've met people in various parts of the world in tribal situations that they have never seen a Bible or heard about a Bible, have never heard of Jesus but they've believed in their hearts that there is a God and they tried to live a life that was quite apart from the surrounding community in which they lived."
Dr. Schuller: "This is fantastic. I'm so thrilled to hear you say that. There's a wideness in God's mercy.
Dr. Graham: There is. There definitely is."

The conversation above occurred between Billy Graham and Robert Schuller, who is the pastor of the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California and founder of the Hour Of Power television program. The interview was broadcast on May 31, 1997 on the Hour of Power television program, titled "Say 'Yes' To Possibility Thinking," program #1426.

Last edited by 007.5; 10-16-2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM

a person that kneels in prayer, is never far from God...God is always there listening to him....
and God is always drawing the person to Himself....always...

To us in the church, we are held to a much higher standard than they born to never know of the name of Christ...

Our standard is that we have the duty to reach out to others with the Word.

To the people born outside the reach of the church, their standard is to respond to the "light" that God has given them to respond to....

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
a person that kneels in prayer, is never far from God...God is always there listening to him....
and God is always drawing the person to Himself....always...

To us in the church, we are held to a much higher standard than they born to never know of the name of Christ...

Our standard is that we have the duty to reach out to others with the Word.

To the people born outside the reach of the church, their standard is to respond to the "light" that God has given them to respond to....
Praying to God ,kneeling to God, is not enough to be saved. For,there is no other name in which we must be saved : Christ. Lots of people believe and pray to God, but its not enough.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM

Again,,,,take a person that is born in an area of the world that will never be reached in his lifetime by the Christian church...

Is the person doomed? ,
without any hope at all?

Does a truck have to drive up and drop off a load of bibles before God can do anything to help these people?...NO!!!!!

We are the body, the arms and legs of Christ, but we are not GOD!
God is already there, in the hearts of the people looking to him in prayer..

The fact is, that the person would not be searching for God unless God had already moved the person's heart to begin that search.

The story of Salvation is not "We take the first step to God"
Rather the real story is that God takes the first step and moves in our lives,,,He draws us closer to himself.

Therefore, the person born outside the reach of the current church is still well within the love and hand of God.
That person kneels in prayer and comes face to face with the same God I find in my prayer life.

And that God is drawing us to himself.

I have an advantage, and that is both a blessing and a curse.
I have to answer for the blessings I have received to a higher standard that the people born away from the church's reach.

They have to answer to the light God has given them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity