U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,758,222 times
Reputation: 1791

Advertisements

I came across this video on youtube recently and am grieved what im hearing Billy Graham, of all people , declare. The actual Transcript is listed on the rightside of the video :
YouTube - Billy Graham Denies Jesus Is The ONLY WAY To The Father

What are your thoughts on this ? We certainly need to test ALL teaching in light of what The Bible really says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,407,598 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I came across this video on youtube recently and am grieved what im hearing Billy Graham, of all people , declare. The actual Transcript is listed on the rightside of the video :
YouTube - Billy Graham Denies Jesus Is The ONLY WAY To The Father

What are your thoughts on this ? We certainly need to test ALL teaching in light of what The Bible really says.
I think Billy Graham has done a lot of good in his life, and I think he is just realizing or saying that its not up to himself to say where or to who God will reveal himself.

I think the red text at the beginning of the video is a little over the top. Billy Graham never actually said there is "another way" to heaven. What he said was that God can call people from anywhere in the world, whether that is out of Christianity or any other religion. If God calls someone, they will come to Christ. That is not "preaching another way". That is simply acknowledging that God can call whoever He wants. God can bring people to Christ in ways we cannot imagine. God can do the impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,237,179 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I think Billy Graham has done a lot of good in his life, and I think he is just realizing or saying that its not up to himself to say where or to who God will reveal himself.

I think the red text at the beginning of the video is a little over the top. Billy Graham never actually said there is "another way" to heaven. What he said was that God can call people from anywhere in the world, whether that is out of Christianity or any other religion. If God calls someone, they will come to Christ. That is not "preaching another way". That is simply acknowledging that God can call whoever He wants. God can bring people to Christ in ways we cannot imagine. God can do the impossible.
...Wow legoman!......I actually agree with you......LOL!...can you believe it..??!!

I believe that a person who has never read the first word of the Bible...or has never heard of the name of Jesus can be saved...God is God afterall...He can do anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
 
5,738 posts, read 4,584,813 times
Reputation: 4160
Verna and Legoman... I was going to rep you both but it said I must spread some around. Oh well. It's the thought that counts, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,237,179 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Verna and Legoman... I was going to rep you both but it said I must spread some around. Oh well. It's the thought that counts, eh?
Thank you sparrow......I consider myself rep'd by you and I appreciate it very much......God is so awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,109,802 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Verna and Legoman... I was going to rep you both but it said I must spread some around. Oh well. It's the thought that counts, eh?
My sentiments as well . . . hey Sparrow!!!! Blessings, Lifesigns64
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,488,348 times
Reputation: 241
I think the person who wrote all them video comments about Billy needs to back-up and think about this subject a little more.

Im going to share with you a far better way to view this subject:


Lets pretend you are born in a 3rd world country.
That you grew up in Islam or Buddhism.
That you are never going to hear of the world "Jesus"...or the word "Christ" in your whole life.

What chance do you got?

The answer is....
That while you are a long way off from the Body of Christ (the church) you are not far off from meeting your Lord.
Lets say you are a good kid, and you want to seek the face of the Lord.
The fact that you do, already is an outward sign that God is already at work in your heart, drawing you closer to himself.

You kneel down in prayer.
Guess who is there with you as you kneel?.....Jesus is!

When you pray guess who listens to every word you pray?.....Jesus does.

So the truth is that the unbeliever out in the farthest wild bush, is just as close in prayer to Jesus as I am sitting in church.

My advantage, (being a member of the Body of Christ) is also my obligation.
The more advantages I have been given by the Lord, the more asked of me.
My walk is held to a far higher standard than the walk of someone who did not receive my advantages.

So, this means that the unbeliever who grows up steeped in the teachings of Islam is still going before the same Jesus in prayer as I do when I pray.
And this same Jesus is at work in the other person's heart as much as he is in mine.,,,,or even more as there is likely more to do there (Im a bit boring)

So to sum it all up
The other person kneels in prayer and the same Lord I serve hears their prayer.
And the same Lord that loves me and gave his life for mine, is reaching out to that other person.
The prayers of the un-Christian are heard and answered by the same God I worship.
There are not different Gods
There is only one God.

So Billy is not talking about a different path to salvation apart from Jesus.
Billy is just admitting that the same Jesus that hears my prayer, is also at work in the lives of others, drawing them closer to himself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,815,750 times
Reputation: 701
Default Who decides?

I'm curious. Who exactly decides what is a false teaching? Since everyone thinks they are right and all preachers can take a single portion of scripture and mold & shape it to say what they want it to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,407,598 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I think the person who wrote all them video comments about Billy needs to back-up and think about this subject a little more.

Im going to share with you a far better way to view this subject:


Lets pretend you are born in a 3rd world country.
That you grew up in Islam or Buddhism.
That you are never going to hear of the world "Jesus"...or the word "Christ" in your whole life.

What chance do you got?

The answer is....
That while you are a long way off from the Body of Christ (the church) you are not far off from meeting your Lord.
Lets say you are a good kid, and you want to seek the face of the Lord.
You kneel down in prayer.
Guess who is there with you as you kneel?.....Jesus is!

When you pray guess who listens to every word you pay?.....Jesus does.

So the truth is that the unbeliever out in the farthest wild bush, is just as close in prayer to Jesus as I am sitting in church.

My advantage, (being a member of the Body of Christ) is also my obligation.
The more advantages I have been given by the Lord, the more asked of me.
My walk is held to a far higher standard than the walk of someone who did not receive my advantages.

So, this means that the unbeliever who grows up steeped in the teachings of Islam is still going before the same Jesus in prayer as I do when I pray.
And this same Jesus is at work in the other person's heart as much as he is in mine.,,,,or even more as there is likely more to do there (Im a bit boring)

So to sum it all up
The other person kneels in prayer and the same Lord I serve hears their prayer.
And the same Lord that loves me and gave his life for mine, is reaching out to that other person.
The prayers of the un-Christian are heard and answered by the same God I worship.
There are not different Gods
There is only one God.

So Billy is not talking about a different path to salvation apart from Jesus.
Billy is just admitting that the same Jesus that hears my prayer, is also at work in the lives of others, drawing them closer to himself...
Many paths to Jesus. One path to heaven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,488,348 times
Reputation: 241
I fixed the spelling errors...read it again...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top