U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 PM

7,791 posts, read 10,473,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Do as June did!

Precisely.

Who knew, after all this time, that one could convert as the result of something as simple as a Twinkie?

Yes, folks, God does work in mysterious ways! 'Amen' to golden sponge cake with sweet, white filling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM

702 posts, read 846,520 times
Beware the moving fence posts. Natural foods are good for you, which would include Twinkies in their natural state. It's only deep-fried Twinkies that are sinfull.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 AM

55 posts, read 69,155 times
we must all remember that we are all works in progress and if a person is overweight does not necessarily mean they are guilty of gluttony rather they have never learned to properly balance their diets which in america is high in fats. never judge a person by the way they look for you are not to be a judge only the father is. by the way i know more people who glutton them selves and have very little weight problem than i know gluttons who are overweight.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

30,350 posts, read 20,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoneer View Post
we must all remember that we are all works in progress and if a person is overweight does not necessarily mean they are guilty of gluttony rather they have never learned to properly balance their diets which in america is high in fats. never judge a person by the way they look for you are not to be a judge only the father is. by the way i know more people who glutton them selves and have very little weight problem than i know gluttons who are overweight.
Never judge a person no matter what, would be better.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 AM

302 posts, read 467,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Sorry to jump in here but what is covetous about eating? It's not like the covet the bodies of others who eat, wanting them for themselves.. It's not like you say "I must have that piece of food so that I can eat it"... you just eat it cuz it tastes good. So gratifying the taste buds is a commandment?

Thou shalt not gratify your taste buds!

The thing is that the food we have may not agree with some peoples bodies. Celiacs have a hard time digesting wheat, diabetics have a hard time absorbing sugar...

Celiacs tend to stay away from wheat and the massive amount of wheat that is out there is hard for them. Diabetics have to eat sugar in order to keep the brain energized let alone all that other stuff carbohydrate calories are for. So it is doubly hard for them because most of the left over sugar that their bodies can't absorb is stored as Fat.

Obesity has more to do with the type of food you eat than the amount you eat.

Do you agree that you could eat an enormous amount of vegetables and not get fat? compared to the amount of sugary, processed foods it would take?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13

For example, these are commandments of God:

"Thou shalt not steal."

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." Exodus 20:17

Food does not have anything to do with the kingdom of God unless it offends our conscience; causes a brother to stumble --or we refuse to share it with the least of Christ's hungry brethren.

With the resurrection of Christ, Jews and Gentiles can become fellow citizens of the kingdom of God. Since all men are descendants of Noah, we have this common blessing in the matter of food:

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat." Genesis 9:3-4

This is my point: there is nothing wrong with using common sense in what we eat; but when diet is attached to our duty to God, and becomes a matter of salvation, it is "another gospel". (1 Timothy 4:5) Paul said:

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." Romans 14:17

Donna Kupp

P.S. When God created us with taste buds, he said that it was very good.

" And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good ..." Genesis 1:31

God wants us to eat the food that He has provided with joy and thanksgiving.

dk

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,973,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13

For example, these are commandments of God:

"Thou shalt not steal."

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." Exodus 20:17

Food does not have anything to do with the kingdom of God unless it offends our conscience; causes a brother to stumble --or we refuse to share it with the least of Christ's hungry brethren.

With the resurrection of Christ, Jews and Gentiles can become fellow citizens of the kingdom of God. Since all men are descendants of Noah, we have this common blessing in the matter of food:

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat." Genesis 9:3-4

This is my point: there is nothing wrong with using common sense in what we eat; but when diet is attached to our duty to God, and becomes a matter of salvation, it is "another gospel". (1 Timothy 4:5) Paul said:

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." Romans 14:17

Donna Kupp

P.S. When God created us with taste buds, he said that it was very good.

" And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good ..." Genesis 1:31

dk
Now that I can wholeheartedly agree with

Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,052,631 times
Quote:
Nothing I posted contradicts that. Personally, I have more joy eating food when I know I am the master of my appetite, and am consuming food that is good for me, and I am not ruled by food but vice versa.

Our bodies use food as fuel. We should take care of our bodies, in gratitude for our health, and we need to master our appetites, not be at the mercy of same.

What you put unhealthy food into your mouth, it lasts only seconds on your taste buds - but when you deliberately consume healthy, wholesome food, you gain not only nourishment for your body, but the happy knowledge 24/7, that you are taking care of yourself and the health the Lord has blessed you with.

I think He is pleased when we "do all things unto the Lord." No way around it.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 PM

302 posts, read 467,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Nothing I posted contradicts that. Personally, I have more joy eating food when I know I am the master of my appetite, and am consuming food that is good for me, and I am not ruled by food but vice versa.

Our bodies use food as fuel. We should take care of our bodies, in gratitude for our health, and we need to master our appetites, not be at the mercy of same.

What you put unhealthy food into your mouth, it lasts only seconds on your taste buds - but when you deliberately consume healthy, wholesome food, you gain not only nourishment for your body, but the happy knowledge 24/7, that you are taking care of yourself and the health the Lord has blessed you with.

I think He is pleased when we "do all things unto the Lord." No way around it.
I have no problem using common sense in matters of food and health. Nevertheless, we must be very wary...

The combining of food, fitness ideas with spirituality has resulted in "other gospels" such as the Colossian heresy and the present day "Gospel of Health Reform."

The apostle Paul has given us this warning:

"Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein." Hebrews 13:9

Donna Kupp

Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,052,631 times
Quote:
the present day "Gospel of Health Reform."
Never heard of it; apparently it hasn't caught on too well.....are you referring to the gov. trying to reform the health care system?

Don't really see the connection, hard to understand anyone taking issue with temperance and taking care of oneself, especially as temperance IS a fruit of the Spirit:

Galatians 5:22-23 (King James Version)

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Temperance being defined as "the trait of avoiding excesses, abstaining from excess."

Additionally, we are told:

Philippians 4:5
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Simply no reasonable, logical, or scriptural support for gluttony; and there are myriad scriptures to support controlling the lusts of the flesh.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 770 times
Default The body is the temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What makes me laugh is those on here who say they don't sin and that any sin they do commit is in ignorance , tell me this .

If you are overweight and obese how can you be ignorant when you look in the mirror ?

Doe this not prove if you want to start judging others by the Law your own sin will find you out.
It is really wrong to be obese and be a Christian. Of course, then we have to define what obese is. I believe if you are so fat you can no longer have sex with your spouse, then you are obese. If you are so fat, you can not bend down and pick trash off the floor you are obese. Now this get to the heart of the matter. Doctors will make a fortune off of your obesity. If you are diabetic, they will want to give you an intestinal surgery, which will effect your entire nervous system. It will or at least scientists state your brain can decline. So what do you want your food or follow God's will. Proverbs states the glutton and the drunkard will inherit poverty. A nice present to inherit I say. We can pray and read the Bible, but to follow God requires action. Noah built a boat. Moses led his people, and Jesus instructed on the parable of the talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or