U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM

30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times

Advertisements

Sundance i remember this thread now . No one forces us to fill our faces , if we know we need to lose weight and keep filling our faces surely that is willfully sinning , well i think it should mean that to the commandment keepers.

To be honest i couldn't care less if you are slim jim , or have an ass like the back of a greyhound bus , that's between you and God and nothing to do with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,772,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
wow...how awfully insensitive this thread is...and reading this post...even worse......
...do you even care if you may be hurting someone...?...obviously not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Oh PUL-LEEZE, give me a break. Pointing out the hypocritcal behavior of mainstream christianity is not "hurting someone," and I find it extremely IRONIC that YOU, of all people, would object to anyone's feelings being hurt. Good grief, you must be joking........or delusional, I'm not sure which.....

You are trying to derail this thread.

I'm not attempting to "hurt someone's feelings," I am trying to illustrate, that mainsteam Christianity and the church at large overlooks certains sins, like gluttony, whilst being obsessively concerned about the lives of others, so do me a huge favor and please do something productive because I see through you like a pane of glass.
Exactly,sundance. Funny how some,so called christians, love to tell people about all their sinful ways but then all of a sudden when their sin is revealed,it`s a different story! Hypocritical indeed!
I find it more than ironic that verna would be criticizing anyone on here about bringing up sinful behavior and worried about hurt feelings. She is the queen of criticizing people,their actions, and beliefs..good grief.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:18 PM

580 posts, read 632,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Do you think obese Christians who live lives of gluttony, indulging their taste buds and uncontrolled appetites, are sinning?
Why or why not?
(Please don't derail the thread with posts like "oh I know this girl who has hypothyroidism" --- I think most of us are aware that there are some {but rather few} legitimate medical conditions that can cause obesity, or the appearance of same. I am referring to people who are Christians, but who choose to INDULGE themselves with food, and are fat.)

Now, are they "living a sinful life?

Why or why not?
Bible Dictionary
Glutton

(Deut. 21:20), Heb. zolel, from a word meaning "to shake out," "to squander;" and hence one who is prodigal, who wastes his means by indulgence. In Prov. 23:21, the word means debauchees or wasters of their own body. In Prov. 28:7, the word (pl.) is rendered Authorized Version "riotous men;" Revised Version, "gluttonous." Matt. 11:19, Luke 7:34, Greek phagos, given to eating, gluttonous. Just info.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,860,111 times
Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.”

The argument can be made that if one can't control their "appetites" (in all forms) then they are also uanble to control their wickedness and evil thoughts, gossip, etc...

Gluttony is not just about food.. but in material possessions.. So.. yes.. someone who is a glutton when it comes to food is a sinner and will go to hell.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,199,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.”

The argument can be made that if one can't control their "appetites" (in all forms) then they are also uanble to control their wickedness and evil thoughts, gossip, etc...

Gluttony is not just about food.. but in material possessions.. So.. yes.. someone who is a glutton when it comes to food is a sinner and will go to hell.
ROTFLMAO !!! ...

This is so funny! And so ridiculous at the same time ... ! I tell you what we are all doomed and Christ died for nothing if what most many people on this forum believe is true. Christ died for all sin, but if you sin your going to hell ... Just think about the irony!

Some of you people are insane ...

Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,405,821 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
ROTFLMAO !!! ...

This is so funny! And so ridiculous at the same time ... ! I tell you what we are all doomed and Christ died for nothing if what most many people on this forum believe is true. Christ died for all sin, but if you sin your going to hell ... Just think about the irony!

Agreed Ironmaw.

Itz, didn't Christ's sacrifice on the cross atone for the sin of gluttony? What you said above is essentially saying Christ's death on the cross didn't work and didn't finish anything.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Agreed Ironmaw.

Itz, didn't Christ's sacrifice on the cross atone for the sin of gluttony? What you said above is essentially saying Christ's death on the cross didn't work and didn't finish anything.
I agree Lego but what i have issue with is legalists who are gluttons and use their legalism on others. Isn't this a classic case of get the plank out of our own eye first , so we come to the realization that we accept one another as Christ as accepted us.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-07-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,405,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I agree Lego but what i have issue with is legalists who are gluttons and use their legalism on others. Isn't this a classic case of get the plank out of our own eye first , so we come to the realization that we accept one another as Christ as accepted us.
Yep I agree.

Many Christians are quick to condemn others for certain "really bad" sins; homosexuality comes to mind here. But then they ignore their own sins of gluttony and pride. Pride is the sin that EVERYONE commits, but gluttony is a close second.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM

478 posts, read 637,535 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
ROTFLMAO !!! ...

Eh, I think "Insane" is a bit of a strong word- perhaps "illogical" or even "hypocritical" might be more apt. But then the old saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind...I think both of the above posts are disturbingly ironic. What I find curious is that neither of you understand why the other is both right, AND wrong at the same time...that is, assuming you are both Christians? See, that's the nature of the christian religion. It CONTRADICTS ITSELF CONSISTENTLY. So really, if you're both full-on serious christians, then you're both right. Do neither of you see that?!? How can you tell someone that they're wrong for thinking they'll go to hell for sinning when that's a core belief of a good lot of christian denominations, with bible quotes to support what they believe? And as well, for those who believe that jesus died for our sins then, likewise, it would stand to reason that for whatever ills we commit that we are forgiven no matter what (though in some cases specific reparations are expected before that can happen), right?!? Seriously, I don't get what either of you, nor what a good lot of you here who have previously posted are saying here regarding "sin" and "hell" and all that. Jesus was crucified because a bunch of jerks who didn't understand him and felt threatened by him found it best suited for their society that he be put to death and so, now, because of what he said while dying on the cross, under duress, it is now everyone's "excuse" for wrong-doings and a means for supposed automatic forgiveness. I see that just AS absurd, if not moreso, than someone thinking that they will go to hell for doing whatever it is they know to be ethically "wrong". Me- I think we as sensible, intelligent and caring human beings need to take responsibility for our own actions and understand that we reap what we sow. But the most important thing to realize upon making mistakes is NOT that we need forgiveness for them, but that we need to LEARN from them and make the necessary reparations as best we can so we can refrain from making more mistakes and, in turn, become the best humans we know how to be. Which I would say means being as close to god as you can possibly be, right? Whether you're christian or not I've always understood that to be the one common tenet that ALL religions have, so that's why I don't understand the whole living in fear and "if I do 'this bad thing' then I'm gonna go to hell" lifestyle, nor do I understand the "I will try not to 'sin' but if I do, and then maybe 'confess' or apologize it's OK since Jesus died for my sins" lifestyle either. I can't speak for any of you, but I do know people who seriously believe that the "less than scrupulous" things that they have done will be automatically forgiven JUST because they believe the whole Jesus martyr thing.

So sure, in regard to the subject of the thread- go ahead and eat five too many cookies and wash them down with a milkshake and have a bag of chips an hour later- and whatever else. Be a fat slob. Is it a "sin"? Will you go to "hell"? Well, when you're carrying around weight equivalent to two of yourself- DO EITHER OF THOSE QUESTIONS REEEEALLY MATTER??!? No. Because you are living in your own hell and have reaped what you've sown. And if anyone of you reading this happen to be overweight or, perhaps obese, I just hope that you aren't so ridden with guilt that you allow anyone else to judge you- you already do that to yourself, and I guarantee you don't deserve half of the punishment you give yourself- you deserve to REWARD yourself NOT with food, but with love, honor and respect. And upon doing so your body will reflect your self image at its best. And I'd think that what I just said is more along the lines of what Jesus would also say (perhaps more eloquently) if he could- and I'd bet my life that if he were face to face with you he'd NEVER use the words "sin" or "hell". Both are words of ugliness and fear and the jesus I know and love was pretty vehemently against both- especially since that's what got him crucified.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or