U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times

Advertisements

Gluttony is a lust of the flesh, which is a sin: Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life. Its all sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM

303 posts, read 485,756 times
You mean christians..........ha ha

Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 710 times
being overweight does not happen overnight. It is gradual. Dieting makes it worse. Also some medication (as in my case) causes weight gain. Obese people are usually not proud of it and i have to agree with a previous post (it is an addiction) i am more and more and more aware of this fact. I am seeking God for help in the name of Jesus to conquer it. All else has failed. God is leading me to say a prolonged prayer of thankfullness before every meal and this is changing my attitude to food and i am beginning to feel that food is not to be abused. Us overweight people have been accustomed to treating food as bad. Our rebellious nature or sin nature kicks in and we say i'm having it anyway. Does anyone see where im am coming from.

I'm only a couple of months into this, so it is a bit early to gauge results, but it is the way the Lord is leading me.

hope this is of some help to others
yours in Christ

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjones View Post
being overweight does not happen overnight. It is gradual. Dieting makes it worse. Also some medication (as in my case) causes weight gain. Obese people are usually not proud of it and i have to agree with a previous post (it is an addiction) i am more and more and more aware of this fact. I am seeking God for help in the name of Jesus to conquer it. All else has failed. God is leading me to say a prolonged prayer of thankfullness before every meal and this is changing my attitude to food and i am beginning to feel that food is not to be abused. Us overweight people have been accustomed to treating food as bad. Our rebellious nature or sin nature kicks in and we say i'm having it anyway. Does anyone see where im am coming from.

I'm only a couple of months into this, so it is a bit early to gauge results, but it is the way the Lord is leading me.

yours in Christ

Hi magjones, I just wanted to say I hope all goes well. I am sure it must be difficult. I don't have much advice, just wanted you to know that I hope you succeed with your goals.
Peace to you..
sparrow

Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,974,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjones View Post

yours in Christ
You are off to a good start. I believe that God does for us what we can't do for ourselves, when we pray, but He doesn't do for us what we can do for ourselves. Therefore, it is incumbent upon us to educate ourselves about the demons we are fighting. I suggest you rent "Food, Inc" Once I saw it I never had another temptation to eat at McDonald's again. I also started to learn about how to find real nourishing foods as opposed to the poisonous foods that are so prevalent in the American diet. "Foodmatters" is another great rental you should not miss - it will show you how to eat in a way that will properly nourish you so you won't have the monumental urges to overcome and you will feel satisfied. You are not a bad person, you are a sick person trying to get well.
Continue to pray and continue to learn

Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM

594 posts, read 1,138,406 times
Come on, the gluttony is not in the bible, actually the origin of the 7 deadly sin is not the bible.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,394,958 times
I know that we are all make by God and some of us come out different because of the genes we are dealt . 30,000 genes... I have thought how thin people think it is so terrible that people can be fat.

I know some thin people who eat and eat and never gain a pound. Others who work at trying to be thinner starve themselves to lose a pound only for their body to fight to gain it back.

Could it be that God made some heavier to make sure that someone makes it through a famine to keep his creation going?

I don't know why some can drop the weight and eat a box of cookies and a half gallon of ice cream at one sitting and lead a stationary life.

I can't judge anyone. Too many factors which is in God's wisdom .

Why aren't all people in wheel chairs fat? They get NO exercise. The thin ones must have the skinny gene.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 AM

200 posts, read 210,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Precisely.

Who knew, after all this time, that one could convert as the result of something as simple as a Twinkie?

Yes, folks, God does work in mysterious ways! 'Amen' to golden sponge cake with sweet, white filling!
Since we're reviving this old thread, my suggestion is throw the Twinkies in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Nothing better!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Come on, the gluttony is not in the bible, actually the origin of the 7 deadly sin is not the bible.
People really should actually read the bible before they presume to talk about what is and is not in it ...

Proverbs 23:20-21
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Proverbs 23:21
For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Proverbs 23:2
And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite.

Deuteronomy 21:20
And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’

Psalm 78:18
They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved

Proverbs 23:20
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat,

I could continue, but that is enough for now ... Yes according to the bible gluttony is a sin. It is mentioned far more often than homosexuality, that is for certain!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Why Going to Church Can Make You Fat - - TIME Healthland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or