U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times

Advertisements

What makes me laugh is those on here who say they don't sin and that any sin they do commit is in ignorance , tell me this .

If you are overweight and obese how can you be ignorant when you look in the mirror ?

Doe this not prove if you want to start judging others by the Law your own sin will find you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What makes me laugh is those on here who say they don't sin and that any sin they do commit is in ignorance , tell me this .

If you are overweight and obese how can you be ignorant when you look in the mirror ?

Doe this not prove if you want to start judging others by the Law your own sin will find you out.

The majority of sins I commit, I'm fully aware of. Otherwise, where would the desire to repent come from.
And I take complete and total resposibility for them.

No scapegoats here.

It's the ones that I'm not aware of, that I pray for knowledge of.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM

30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
The majority of sins I commit, I'm fully aware of. Otherwise, where would the desire to repent come from.
And I take complete and total resposibility for them.

No scapegoats here.

It's the ones that I'm not aware of, that I pray for knowledge of.
Oakback i do not have an opinion about eating habits unless those who are obese and love condemning faults in others.

Those who are fault finders in others should first ask themselves,Does my bum look big in this ?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Proverbs 23:2
Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.

Proverbs 23:20-21
Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.

Proverbs 28:7
He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.

Duet. 21:20
And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a
glutton and a drunkard.

~"(Deut. 21:20), Heb. zolel, from a word meaning "to shake out," "to squander; and hence one who is prodigal, who wastes his" "means by indulgence. In Prov. 23:21, the word means debauchees" "or wasters of their own body. In Prov. 28:7, the word (pl.) is" "rendered Authorized Version "riotous men;" Revised Version," "gluttonous. Matt. 11:19, Luke 7:34, Greek phagos, given to" "eating, gluttonous."
Question: People always comment on how skinny I am. It's insulting. At least I think it is. It's like being called fat. However, I have an aversion to eating constantly.. I eat when I am hungry. So is there a bible verse that says to be too skinny is a sin?

Because I think people are people, and we are our own worst enemy!

Some people "gorge" themselves and others "starve" themselves.

I am not an anorexic by any means, but what about anorexics? Where is the bible verse that says that is wrong?

Do we need one?

Do we really need the verses to know that starving oneself is also bad or that eating until you want to puke is bad...

or is it that the laws and verses seem to be used by man to condemn each other? I doubt there are any overweight people who ponder the passages about gluttony before grabbing a twinkie or two!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,040,692 times
Quote:
or is it that the laws and verses seem to be used by man to condemn each other? I doubt there are any overweight people who ponder the passages about gluttony before grabbing a twinkie or two!
TWINKIE TERROR!

Hey, that would make an amusing movie........

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
Quote:
Oakback i do not have an opinion about eating habits unless those who are obese and love condemning faults in others.

Those who are fault finders in others should first ask themselves,Does my bum look big in this ?

Or, on the other hand,
as one looks in the mirror at their perfect glutious maximus,
in prideful glory.

But I can assure you, I don't suffer from that temptation

Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 6,438,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I'm not referring to body type - some folks are just "big-boned," as they say. Stockily-built. While others are more frail in their appearance. And I did not mention whether one is handsome or beautiful.

What I am getting at is, how can we, as Christians, those who battle against gluttony, and lose the battle repeatedly, how can we point fingers at anyone else, for any sin?

Some Christians rant 24/7 about gay people. We know, or at least, I believe, according to my understanding of scripture, that any sexual relations, outside of marriage, is sinful. And so, Christians point fingers at gay people, call them perverts, and so on......while some have not even mastered their own bodies, their own appetites, do you see what I am saying. I am not trying to insult anyone here, or put anyone down - just the opposite.

I am urging compassion for, we all are weak in one area in another. Is it really that difficult to understand?
No one who engages in gluttony should be pointing their fingers at others. I see it first hand; gluttony is just pathetic. Some people can't wear anything but stretch pants they are so big. The after church crowd often hits the buffets and just goes into a feeding frenzy like you haven't seen before.

I enjoy food and I have had to address my own gluttony problem. I can't attack the glutton for his sin. I don't attack anyone for theirs. It is the way of people. Repeat: It is the way of people. Not the Lord's way.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,387,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
TWINKIE TERROR!

Hey, that would make an amusing movie........
Hey! I think I have a strong case that Twinkies are Anti-Christ... After all, they are eternal when you eat them and on the shelf, and you think they love you but it is not the case, many have hips to prove it!!

Everyone step away from the Twinkies! They are evil. Twinkie Terror coming to theaters soon!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,906,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I truly think people who engage in this behavior have other issues...food is just what they use to make them feel better for the short term. The trouble is you feel even worse after you eaten like a porker. I imagine it's no different for the drug addict or the alcoholic. It's being used to dull the pain of whatever is bothering them....a void I truly feel can only be filled by God.
This is very true. I had a parent who was obese and she definetly ate for reasons other than nutrition, it was so hard to watch someone you love treat food like a drug, she was literally killing herself with food. She also had no real need to be spiritual but that's probably unrelated.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM

302 posts, read 466,970 times
Quote:
Proverbs 23

1 When you sit to dine with a ruler,
note well what [a] is before you, 2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

I couldn't careless how big and overweight you are , but like i said if you want to use the law to exalt yourself and condemn others , you will bring condemnation upon yourself through the very Law you are using to condemn others.
Donna writes:

Rather than repent of their sins, workers of iniquity are always ready to oppose and accuse the conduct of the righteous. For example, we have the Pharisees and Lawyers who refused the message of John the Baptist that called them to the fruits of repentance that reflected an amended life --and said he had a devil ...

Jesus said: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!" Luke 7:33-34

In context, let us consider the verse that you quoted ...

"When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat. Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words." Proverbs 23:1-8

The purpose of the dinner had nothing to do with hospitality, or friendship. The ruler's dainty meats were a deceitful meal intended to serve his agenda. The purpose of even one dainty morsel was to tempt the man to covet.

Covetousness is the sin --not food.

Donna Kupp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or