U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,237,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Donna writes:

Rather than repent of their sins, workers of iniquity are always ready to oppose and accuse the conduct of the righteous. For example, we have the Pharisees and Lawyers who refused the message of John the Baptist that called them to the fruits of repentance that reflected an amended life --and said he had a devil ...

Jesus said: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!" Luke 7:33-34

In context, let us consider the verse that you quoted ...

"When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat. Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words." Proverbs 23:1-8

The purpose of the dinner had nothing to do with hospitality, or friendship. The ruler's dainty meats were a deceitful meal intended to serve his agenda. The purpose of even one dainty morsel was to tempt the man to covet.

Covetousness is the sin --not food.

Donna Kupp
..and, yet again, as usual, they take scripture out of context...just so they can try to use it to their advantage to hurt someone...typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,390,644 times
Quote:
Donna writes:

Rather than repent of their sins, workers of iniquity are always ready to oppose and accuse the conduct of the righteous. For example, we have the Pharisees and Lawyers who refused the message of John the Baptist that called them to the fruits of repentance that reflected an amended life --and said he had a devil ...

Jesus said: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!" Luke 7:33-34

"When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat. Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words." Proverbs 23:1-8

The purpose of the dinner had nothing to do with hospitality, or friendship. The ruler's dainty meats were a deceitful meal intended to serve his agenda. The purpose of even one dainty morsel was to tempt the man to covet.

Donna Kupp
Sorry to jump in here but what is covetous about eating? It's not like the covet the bodies of others who eat, wanting them for themselves.. It's not like you say "I must have that piece of food so that I can eat it"... you just eat it cuz it tastes good. So gratifying the taste buds is a commandment?

Thou shalt not gratify your taste buds!

The thing is that the food we have may not agree with some peoples bodies. Celiacs have a hard time digesting wheat, diabetics have a hard time absorbing sugar...

Celiacs tend to stay away from wheat and the massive amount of wheat that is out there is hard for them. Diabetics have to eat sugar in order to keep the brain energized let alone all that other stuff carbohydrate calories are for. So it is doubly hard for them because most of the left over sugar that their bodies can't absorb is stored as Fat.

Obesity has more to do with the type of food you eat than the amount you eat.

Do you agree that you could eat an enormous amount of vegetables and not get fat? compared to the amount of sugary, processed foods it would take?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM

1,895 posts, read 4,041,886 times
Quote:
..and, yet again, as usual, they take scripture out of context...just so they can try to use it to their advantage to hurt someone...typical.
Now, that wasn't a very nice thing to say, Miss P. I think that was a bit nasty......

By the way, PASS THE TWINKIES.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,450,484 times
Long before page 7 of this thread, June found herself becoming very, very hungry. June proceeded to eat. Thus, June now feels guilty, and is thinking she should head over to moderate the "Guilt" thread once again.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,907,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
wow...how awfully insensitive this thread is...and reading this post...even worse......

...do you even care if you may be hurting someone...?...obviously not.
I think unfortunately, because obesity has become so epidemic, we need to stop being so PC and start confronting these issues, hurtful or not. These people are killing themselves because they can't moderate their behavior and stop eating. I don't personally subscribe to the notion of "sin" but I can see why it would be deemed sinful(if you are Christian) because you are not consentrating on God if you are totally preoccupied with something(food, drugs, ect) outside of yourself. Religion is supposed to be the "substance" you are addicted to, not food. This is only an opinion based on observation as I am not a Christian.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,450,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Proverbs 23:2

Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.

Oh for goodness sake, shouldn't one at least try Over Eaters Anonymous first!?

Take gentle caloric care...

Last edited by june 7th; 10-18-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 AM

30,201 posts, read 19,986,915 times
Quote:
Donna writes:

Donna Kupp
Lmao.

You are defending gluttony how you accuse gay's of defending homosexuality.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-18-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,043,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Question: People always comment on how skinny I am. It's insulting. At least I think it is. It's like being called fat. However, I have an aversion to eating constantly.. I eat when I am hungry. So is there a bible verse that says to be too skinny is a sin?

Because I think people are people, and we are our own worst enemy!

Some people "gorge" themselves and others "starve" themselves.

I am not an anorexic by any means, but what about anorexics? Where is the bible verse that says that is wrong?

Do we need one?

Do we really need the verses to know that starving oneself is also bad or that eating until you want to puke is bad...

or is it that the laws and verses seem to be used by man to condemn each other? I doubt there are any overweight people who ponder the passages about gluttony before grabbing a twinkie or two!
I actually posted the scripture for those who wanted to know what the Bible says about Gluttony.....
I believe it is between the individual and God...........
I didn't post the scripture to justify if it is a sin or not. Gluttony as I have always understood it to be a form of greed and as we all know that doesn't just pertain to food....imo!

Blessings

Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,043,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Long before page 7 of this thread, June found herself becoming very, very hungry. June proceeded to eat. Thus, June now feels guilty, and is thinking she should head over to moderate the "Guilt" thread once again.
LOL....me too!!! It's funny how it does that!! I wonder if that is a sin....let me go check the Bible!!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM

30,201 posts, read 19,986,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Question: People always comment on how skinny I am. It's insulting. At least I think it is. It's like being called fat. However, I have an aversion to eating constantly.. I eat when I am hungry. So is there a bible verse that says to be too skinny is a sin?

Because I think people are people, and we are our own worst enemy!

Some people "gorge" themselves and others "starve" themselves.

I am not an anorexic by any means, but what about anorexics? Where is the bible verse that says that is wrong?

Do we need one?

Do we really need the verses to know that starving oneself is also bad or that eating until you want to puke is bad...

or is it that the laws and verses seem to be used by man to condemn each other? I doubt there are any overweight people who ponder the passages about gluttony before grabbing a twinkie or two!
Kat the point for me is you can make the scriptures say what you want to, to justify ourselves and condemn others.
I am sure if you looked hard enough you would find a scripture to say being skinny is a sin lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or