Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,506 times

Advertisements

Do you think obese Christians who live lives of gluttony, indulging their taste buds and uncontrolled appetites, are sinning?
Why or why not?
(Please don't derail the thread with posts like "oh I know this girl who has hypothyroidism" --- I think most of us are aware that there are some {but rather few} legitimate medical conditions that can cause obesity, or the appearance of same. I am referring to people who are Christians, but who choose to INDULGE themselves with food, and are fat.)

Now, are they "living a sinful life?

Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,181,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Do you think obese Christians who live lives of gluttony, indulging their taste buds and uncontrolled appetites, are sinning?
Why or why not?
(Please don't derail the thread with posts like "oh I know this girl who has hypothyroidism" --- I think most of us are aware that there are some {but rather few} legitimate medical conditions that can cause obesity, or the appearance of same. I am referring to people who are Christians, but who choose to INDULGE themselves with food, and are fat.)

Why or why not?
Gluttony truly is a sin and I feel it everytime I eat a huge mexican meal (I just Loooooove Mexican) and then I get that lust in my heart for that delicious chocolate dessert (because I just Loooooooove chocolate too) and I'm not fat....just pleasingly plump

Seriously...it's a sin because most use food to fill a void that only God can fill...it's just idolatry in a different form. We have the means to quit eating when we are full but some choose to ignore it and keep on.....like we all do at Thanksgiving

Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,290,497 times
Quote:
Why or why not?

Why or why not?
So how do you define "too much", or "indulge".

Is one cookie too much? or is it three, or ten?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I think what I meant is pretty obvious. I think we all know what "obese" means. It means FAT.

It means habitually shovelling food down your gullet until you are OBESE; not being able to control your appetite and you wind up like a blimp.

Clear enough for you?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I usually guage by my posterior....if I need a wide load sign....it may be too much

Just kidding....we all can recognize when we've had too much to eat. Just think about how you feel after a big Thanksgiving dinner...most of the time I have to unbuttom my pants I've eaten so much.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
My granddaughter and I just came back from a very long and leisurely Chinese meal at our favorite Chinese restaurant..Boy I am just full of sin right now..Had to unsnap my jeans just to drive home

Overindulging in a good meal now and then at a favorite restaurant
with my beloved daughters and/or granddaughters is to me....heavenly

Yes, we are all a few pounds over the accepted weight charts..Big. Beautiful, healthy, active, God loving girls

5,261 posts, read 7,621,843 times
Quote:
I think what I meant is pretty obvious. I think we all know what "obese" means. It means FAT.

It means habitually shovelling food down your gullet until you are OBESE; not being able to control your appetite and you wind up like a blimp.

Clear enough for you?
wow...how awfully insensitive this thread is...and reading this post...even worse......

...do you even care if you may be hurting someone...?...obviously not.

7,874 posts, read 14,105,645 times
I do think it's sin, and I think we're all guilty to some extent.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Clear enough for you?
I truly think people who engage in this behavior have other issues...food is just what they use to make them feel better for the short term. The trouble is you feel even worse after you eaten like a porker. I imagine it's no different for the drug addict or the alcoholic. It's being used to dull the pain of whatever is bothering them....a void I truly feel can only be filled by God.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,290,497 times
Quote:

Clear enough for you?
No it's not clear.
I know very obese people who eat less than skinny people.
I know skinny people who eat large amounts.
I know people who are overly srupulous, and are obsessive about their intake.
I know people who are full of joy and love God's creation and all of it's gifts who absolutley make eating inspirational
So, no. I still don't know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity