Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
People really should actually read the bible before they presume to talk about what is and is not in it ...

... I could continue, but that is enough for now ... Yes according to the bible gluttony is a sin. It is mentioned far more often than homosexuality, that is for certain!
Gluttony is 'mentioned' in the Bible as are fruit trees.

The Bible does not say that gluttony is a sin, nor does it say that having fruit trees is a sin.

Homosexual acts are however an abomination.

The Bible is very clear about what 'sins' are.

Feel free to post any passages that you think may say that gluttony is a sin, but if you stopped first to read them you would see that the Bible does not call it a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Gluttony is 'mentioned' in the Bible as are fruit trees.

The Bible does not say that gluttony is a sin, nor does it say that having fruit trees is a sin.

Homosexual acts are however an abomination.

The Bible is very clear about what 'sins' are.

Feel free to post any passages that you think may say that gluttony is a sin, but if you stopped first to read them you would see that the Bible does not call it a sin.
The scriptures I quoted above are clear enough to anyone who is honest with themselves ... people can pick cheries all they like. Just about anything done in excess is a sin, and lsut for food is no different than lust for sex or money or power or drugs ... And we all have to deal with the lust of the flesh. We are all sinners, the hard part is being honest and humble enough to own up to the fact.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Gluttony is to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste.

Anyone can be gluttonous.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
If anyone has ever read the testimony of Mary K. Baxter and has seen her in interviews, she's more of a heavy-set woman. But she continues to have visits from the Lord and I suspect he hasn't told her anything about that. And I think there is a cut-off area for what constitutes as gluttany in God's eyes. I think those people who are over 1000 pounds on the tv documentaries that can barely breathe and walk are the ones who are commiting gluttany. Not someone that eats a little bit more than your average person and is a bit bigger.

Besides any of that, a christian being overweight is the least of anyone's problems when there are millions of souls out there that need saving. And for the record, Mary K. Baxter isn't the only woman that is heavy-set that I have heard have visits from the Lord. There is this black woman on Youtube that has been receiving visions from God every few weeks on the rapture and other events. When I get home, I will post her videos. She is heavyset as well but that didn't seem to stop the Lord from rapturing her in her vision.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If anyone has ever read the testimony of Mary K. Baxter and has seen her in interviews, she's more of a heavy-set woman. But she continues to have visits from the Lord and I suspect he hasn't told her anything about that. And I think there is a cut-off area for what constitutes as gluttany in God's eyes. I think those people who are over 1000 pounds on the tv documentaries that can barely breathe and walk are the ones who are commiting gluttany. Not someone that eats a little bit more than your average person and is a bit bigger.

Besides any of that, a christian being overweight is the least of anyone's problems when there are millions of souls out there that need saving. And for the record, Mary K. Baxter isn't the only woman that is heavy-set that I have heard have visits from the Lord. There is this black woman on Youtube that has been receiving visions from God every few weeks on the rapture and other events. When I get home, I will post her videos. She is heavyset as well but that didn't seem to stop the Lord from rapturing her in her vision.
wow.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,482 times
Quote:
People really should actually read the bible before they presume to talk about what is and is not in it ...

Proverbs 23:20-21
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.
it doesn't say it is a sin... does it?
but you might be poorer...

Quote:
Proverbs 23:21
For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.
You posted it again??? why??

Quote:
Proverbs 23:2
And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite.
Very different when you put the whole sentence instead of half of it..
When you sit to dine with a ruler,
note well what[a] is before you,
2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 21:20
And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’
Not saying glutton is a sin.. just that his son is a glutton and a drunk

Quote:
Psalm 78:18
They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved
Nothing to do with glutton, it doesnt say it is wrong.

Quote:
Proverbs 23:20
Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat,
Same as the first 2,
and what you wrote is
19 Listen, my son, and be wise,
and set your heart on the right path:
20 Do not join those who drink too much wine
or gorge themselves on meat,
21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor,
and drowsiness clothes them in rags.

Ok, so if you eat or drink to much you might end up poor, not in hell..

Quote:
I could continue, but that is enough for now ... Yes according to the bible gluttony is a sin. It is mentioned far more often than homosexuality, that is for certain!
Please continue since you havent shown anything yet...
except half clips...
Where does it say is a sin again???

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The scriptures I quoted above are clear enough to anyone who is honest with themselves ... people can pick cheries all they like. Just about anything done in excess is a sin, and lsut for food is no different than lust for sex or money or power or drugs ... And we all have to deal with the lust of the flesh. We are all sinners, the hard part is being honest and humble enough to own up to the fact.
I am not certain what cherries has to do with the OP.

Allow me to repeat myself.

Did you have one Bible passage, just one passage, where you think it says that gluttony is a sin?

You have not posted any Bible verses which say it is a sin so far. Yet you keep making the claim that the Bible says it is a sin.

So do you have a Bible passage, just one passage, where it says that gluttony is a sin?

This is not meant to be a difficult question.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not certain what cherries has to do with the OP.

Allow me to repeat myself.

Did you have one Bible passage, just one passage, where you think it says that gluttony is a sin?

You have not posted any Bible verses which say it is a sin so far. Yet you keep making the claim that the Bible says it is a sin.

So do you have a Bible passage, just one passage, where it says that gluttony is a sin?

This is not meant to be a difficult question.
Don't think there is one

Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Don't think there is one
The Bible has 613 Laws. Gluttony is not among them.

There are also a handful of things that are repeatedly told to us as being 'abominations' [seriously bad things].

On the other hand, there are also a few things which are not sins, but simply advised against. Debt is a good example.

Many people prefer to ignore the Word of God, insisting instead to make it up as they go.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Genetics plays a huge part in what a person is going to look like. After all we can't expect a Saint Bernard to look like a poodle.

If we look even at peoples faces we see big differences in eyes , nose and mouth and head shape.

Hollywood dictates what everyone should look like. It is boring to say the least . I get tired of looking at these so called pretty people of today.. they all look alike to me.

The movie stars of yesteryear were all so different and all so beautiful and handsome to me. Plus I look at the soul of a person and they can become so beautiful regardless of what they look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity