U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,355,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Well then... I guess the minister of the church who said that because one guy wasn't following the church to the letter he would not have access to the charity of the church (food) and so his family became hungry and homeless was also just a bad seed!

Or how about the pastor that told my parents to marry at 19 so that I wouldn't be a bastard, then condemned them to 14 years of hell and his own counseling and all the while taking their money... was also just a bad seed...

Or the employee of the church who was fired for falling on hard times because her husband was laid off and they were not able to pay full tithes....

I could go on but as you can see... these are NOT isolated instances!
It seems like you are angry at the things that happened in your life and trying to put that label on everyone else. Grow up. I've had far worse things to happen to me but I don't look at my experiences and then label the world.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-17-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,099,546 times
I was a committed member of only two non-denominational Christian churches for 25 years; the same amount of years I was married. After my marriage ended, I was shocked dismayed and astounded by what I witnessed.

My ex-wife and I were part of a group of seven married couples. We fellowshipped, shared dinners and outings for several years. We, the husbands, would from time to time get together to uplift and counsel each other. We were friends, but more so, we were brothers in Christ.

Once our marriage ended, I never again heard from any of these men; never again! I assumed our friendship and brotherliness would give these men cause to at least call to ask how I was doing during those first few months of hardship, loneliness and confusion. I never again heard from one of these men.

Now, here’s the biggest kicker, as stated, my brothers in Christ were nowhere to be found when I most needed them; true MIA’s. Where were they? Why did they not reach out to one who had been of one mind with them?

Despite this painful reality, God did not fail. He blessed me with two non-hypocritical, non-judgmental men who did not forget their brother. These men called me on a regular basis to simply ask if I had eaten that day, to ask how I felt, or to see if there was anything I wanted to get off my chest. Over the phone, I cried on these men’s shoulders several times as we tried to make sense of this situation.

So, who were these men? The first was a habitual pot smoker from New York City. While most of the time he called in a good state of mind, there were times when his reasoning was a little skewed while under the influence. Despite that, here he was making time for a friend in need on the other side of the continent.

The second man was an incarcerated felon. From prison, and when he gained phone privileges due to good conduct, this man would call me to see how I was doing. When he was unable to call, he would send handwritten letters. Upon his release from prison, I visited him. Like two prodigal sons, we embraced out of the deep concern we shared towards each other. We vowed our continued loyalty regardless of what else life decided to hurl at us.

This is possibly the most valuable lesson life has taught me. To state that I’m disillusioned towards the so-called church ‘brethren” is an understatement. Lesson taught, lesson learned. I’ve not gone back to church, nor have any intentions to return any time soon. I end with the following verse:

Psalms 55:12-14

Last edited by chacho_keva; 10-17-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 03:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,412,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
It seems like you are angry at the things that happened in your life and trying to put that label on everyone else. Grow up. I've had far worse things to happen to me but I don't look at my experiences and then label the world.
Nope just goes to show what happens when MAN leads...

Old 10-17-2009, 03:27 PM

7,789 posts, read 10,468,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
So, who were these men? The first was a habitual pot smoker from New York City. While most of the time he called in a good state of mind, there were times when his reasoning was a little skewed while under the influence. Despite that, here he was making time for a friend in need on the other side of the continent.

The second man was an incarcerated felon. From prison, and when he gained phone privileges due to good conduct, this man would call me to see how I was doing. When he was unable to call, he would send handwritten letters. Upon his release from prison, I visited him. Like two prodigal sons, we embraced out of the deep concern we shared towards each other. We vowed our continued loyalty regardless of what else life decided to hurl at us.
For some reason your post makes even June recall that bible passage:

"Blessed are the meek,the poor in spirit, for they shall..."

Quite interesting.

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-17-2009 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 03:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,050,785 times
Quote:
I was a committed member of only two non-denominational Christian churches for 25 years; the same amount of years I was married. After my marriage ended, I was shocked dismayed and astounded by what I witnessed.

My ex-wife and I were part of a group of seven married couples. We fellowshipped, shared dinners and outings for several years. We, the husbands, would from time to time get together to uplift and counsel each other. We were friends, but more so, we were brothers in Christ.

Once our marriage ended, I never again heard from any of these men; never again! I assumed our friendship and brotherliness would give these men cause to at least call to ask how I was doing during those first few months of hardship, loneliness and confusion. I never again heard from one of these men.

Now, here’s the biggest kicker, as stated, my brothers in Christ were nowhere to be found when I most needed them; true MIA’s. Where were they? Why did they not reach out to one who had been of one mind with them?

Despite this painful reality, God did not fail. He blessed me with two non-hypocritical, non-judgmental men who did not forget their brother. These men called me on a regular basis to simply ask if I had eaten that day, to ask how I felt, or to see if there was anything I wanted to get off my chest. Over the phone, I cried on these men’s shoulders several times as we tried to make sense of this situation.

This is possibly the most valuable lesson life has taught me. To state that I’m disillusioned towards the so-called church ‘brethren” is an understatement. Lesson taught, lesson learned. I’ve not gone back to church, nor have any intentions to return any time soon. I end with the following verse:

Sadly, that has been my experience, too.

My husband was actually called down from the pulpit - for what? For having a close-cropped BEARD. Oh, how awful. Note: we weren't even MEMBERS there. We were visiting! Needless to say, we never went back.

It's so pathetic and sad, but you would probably find more compassion by approaching a random group of strangers, than a church full of "Christians."

Whatever, the Lord is not confined by walls made with human hands.

He will send someone to you...if you want Him to.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I think there is a lesson that we must all learn from. We must stop putting church people on a pedal stole and understand that they are just people with flaws.

There are people in the world who never attend church, might be doing crack, might be homeless, but they might be the very person that God places in your life to speak a word into your heart.

I do say this, please don't allow people to run you away from church. You might have to find another church, but remember that people are not perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect church.

I sometime have to over look some of the people in my church. I love my church, but everyone there does not have a good attitude. But I don't let that stop me from going to church to worship my God. So, be encouraged and strengthened, because sometimes our walk with God can be hard sometimes.

Just like those people who called and checked up on you, make sure you are showing the love of Christ through you. They might not can make it to a church, or might not even know Jesus, so you could be the very person that they learn about the love of Christ through you.

Disfruté de su puesto, hasta la próxima vez. ( For moderator, this says, I enjoyed your post, until next time) didn't want you to think this is something bad.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:52 PM

7,789 posts, read 10,468,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
For example why is it we can never ever ask the kind of controversial questions we ask here at church? The church should be equipped to answer these questions. Why is it heretic to voice doubts and questions that a fellow believer or non believer for that matter may have? Why shove them under the carpet? Is that not phoney?
Upon reading the OP, June's very first thought was "If June was ever to bring herself to actually join a church, you could darn well bet that it would be one that she was not only comfortable with, but welcoming of such questions!"

From what June has been told, such questions exist in believers attending churches all the time. --And that more often than not, the very questions posed above are also pondered by fellow Christians who attend church regularly.

-They're just not articulated.

Take gentle silent care.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-17-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM

435 posts, read 1,049,983 times
Oh by the way you guys, I am also a christian, and I love Jesus a freaking lot. But every now and then I wonder if my christianity or my view of it is the same as some church folks, or even if we worship the same Jesus. It's like this holier than though attitude. Man I hate that. No one is better than another. Jesus came to die for all. And He forgave the sins of all. Whether I choose to accept His gift or not does not mean that He loves one any less or more. We are called to Love, even our enemies. The AGAPE love. Unconditional. Loves you no matter who you are, what you have done, where you have been. Not the hypocritical love that hides behind the "love the sinner, hate the sin" statement, while you actually judging the sinner. Lol. I tell you. And I am not supporting sin here. Getting the message of Jesus to really reach and touch peoples lives could easily happen if we loved like He did. It makes sense now that Jesus mostly criticized the religious leaders of His time and place. Something about religion that is not right, and here and now you have it again. Lol.

Last edited by Timothylogan3; 10-17-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 05:26 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,099,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I think there is a lesson that we must all learn from. We must stop putting church people on a pedal stole and understand that they are just people with flaws.

There are people in the world who never attend church, might be doing crack, might be homeless, but they might be the very person that God places in your life to speak a word into your heart.

I do say this, please don't allow people to run you away from church. You might have to find another church, but remember that people are not perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect church.

I sometime have to over look some of the people in my church. I love my church, but everyone there does not have a good attitude. But I don't let that stop me from going to church to worship my God. So, be encouraged and strengthened, because sometimes our walk with God can be hard sometimes.

Just like those people who called and checked up on you, make sure you are showing the love of Christ through you. They might not can make it to a church, or might not even know Jesus, so you could be the very person that they learn about the love of Christ through you.

Disfruté de su puesto, hasta la próxima vez. ( For moderator, this says, I enjoyed your post, until next time) didn't want you to think this is something bad.
Miss Shawn, with all due respect, I am completely done with "Churchianity." As previously stated, in my experience, LOYALTY is thicker, deeper, and stronger than any religious bond we "think" we might share with others.

The LOYALTY that my two childhood friends and I share is greater than anything found in church. In addition, given my experience, there is no way under the sun that I would have the audacity to suggest that they go to "church!" If anything, I'd suggest the complete opposite!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Miss Shawn, with all due respect, I am completely done with "Churchianity." As previously stated, in my experience, LOYALTY is thicker, deeper, and stronger than any religious bond we "think" we might share with others.

The LOYALTY that my two childhood friends and I share is greater than anything found in church. In addition, given my experience, there is no way under the sun that I would have the audacity to suggest that they go to "church!" If anything, I'd suggest the complete opposite!
No, you don't have to recommend them to church, that is why I said you might be the only person that they see to experience the love of God. That is what I meant by allowing God to use you.

You may be the only person that they experience in that way. Some people may never go to church, but may experience the love of God in you. That is all I am saying. I don't push church down people throats because I realize that everyone does not attend church.

When I talk and minister to people that I come in contact with, I understand that they don't attend church or even want to go. So, I try to show them the love that Christ has for them, through me. I try to meet and help people where they are at, and not condemn them.

When you reach out to people in this way, you often find out that most of these people that you are coming in contact with might know more than you think, and most use to attend church.

But just be you, love people, and show the love of Christ through you, and you will be a blessing to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or