U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,943,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
So is it me or what, but why are church folks such hypocrites? I mean really. For example why is it we can never ever ask the kind of controversial questions we ask here at church? The church should be equipped to answer these questions. Why is it heretic to voice doubts and questions that a fellow believer or non believer for that matter may have? Why shove them under the carpet? Is that not phoney? I wont even go into the exclusivity, the being all nice attitude, and not listening, I mean really really really listening, rather than just having the LETS CHANGE EM OR CONVERT EM agenda and attitude they have to any non believer that comes to them. I mean for cryin out loud is this the Gospel of Christ or what? I dont think so. Or am I wrong here?
It is a hard thing to change the attitude of another person in or outside of a church. If u really want answers to hard questions u should pray and ask God, spend time in the Word and make it ur practice to listen for HIS voice. If u seek answers from men or church folk only u may never be satisfied. We as human being cannot change our fellow man, but we can change ourselves. Michael Jackson has a song that says something like "u have to start with the man in the mirror... asking him to change his ways." Once u make changes, u will see things from a different perspective and maybe the attitude of the church folk won't be such a problem for u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
This has not been my experience.
I've had many stimulating debates with priests, monks, sisters, and fellow layman.
I always felt it was encouraged.
Except for discussions on women priests, John Paul II said it was off the table for discussion

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,971,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Except for discussions on women priests, John Paul II said it was off the table for discussion

Well I never had the opportunity to speak with him.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 AM

435 posts, read 1,050,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
It is a hard thing to change the attitude of another person in or outside of a church. If u really want answers to hard questions u should pray and ask God, spend time in the Word and make it ur practice to listen for HIS voice. If u seek answers from men or church folk only u may never be satisfied. We as human being cannot change our fellow man, but we can change ourselves. Michael Jackson has a song that says something like "u have to start with the man in the mirror... asking him to change his ways." Once u make changes, u will see things from a different perspective and maybe the attitude of the church folk won't be such a problem for u.
sun queen I am not wanting answers to hard questions here, you are totally missing the point my dear. I am merely voicing my frustrations with the church as a fellow christian, just like Christ did with the church of His age, and Paul did in his time. Is that so wrong? That when something is very wrong you open your mouth and point it out. Should I say nothing and shut myself up with the reflection of my own inadequacies. Come on lady. How are we ever to grow if none says something. Huh? This is how we've grown as a church though out the last 2000. And I will stand by this the church, nay, congregations these days lack the love of Christ. Amen!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
sun queen I am not wanting answers to hard questions here, you are totally missing the point my dear. I am merely voicing my frustrations with the church as a fellow christian, just like Christ did with the church of His age, and Paul did in his time. Is that so wrong? That when something is very wrong you open your mouth and point it out. Should I say nothing and shut myself up with the reflection of my own inadequacies. Come on lady. How are we ever to grow if none says something. Huh? This is how we've grown as a church though out the last 2000. And I will stand by this the church, nay, congregations these days lack the love of Christ. Amen!
Well said Timothy....why is it that people don't feel they have the right to question those who are supposed to be leading them? And why do the leaders feel the people have no right to question them?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,495,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
It is a hard thing to change the attitude of another person in or outside of a church. .
Impossible I would say...LOL

I know a few girls who posted on-line where they complained that their husbands "Never changed" and that has led to problems in their marriage.

My answer to them is - "Are you nuts?"
+++

I know of others who act all ticked-off at some Christians and try to complain that the Christians did not live up to their little standard of what the Christians should be like.

My answer to that line of thinking is - "I Dont care"
I simply dont care that people dont live up to some guy's standard of what everyone should be like.
That other guy's standard?...that's his standard, not mine.

You want to know the real truth of what is our "christian standard"?

Here it is...
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

There, that is how we Christians are to act.
When we are offended, when we are harmed, we are to not let that force us to strike back.
+++

But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you;

In the real world, this standard of Christian behavior works out as thus ;

When someone, ( lets say on an Internet Forum such as this one), starts to attack you personally, when they criticize you, make fun of you, try to gather everyone against you, then we as Christians are to not allow this type of harmful action directed against us to force us to answer back in kind.

We are to work to the goal of being above such petty people.

And by setting a personal standard of behavior that is free of such bitter personal attacks we will show our brothers a higher path to walk along.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
to my wife, I gave a vow,,,

to my friends?...no such vow.
none.
zip.

And to your brothers in Christ??? Any vows to those with whom you are suppose to be of one mind???

Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
And to your brothers in Christ??? Any vows to those with whom you are suppose to be of one mind???
no....no such vow.

To my wife I have given my word that I will remain at her side until death.

To my drinking buddies?...they go home to their wives as I go home to mine....and it then is clear to us all where our hearts are...LOL

Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
no....no such vow.

To my wife I have given my word that I will remain at her side until death.

To my drinking buddies?...they go home to their wives as I go home to mine....and it then is clear to us all where our hearts are...LOL
Again, thank you for confirming the obvious.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 AM

Yes,
one should remember to always keep things in context.
Its a bit silly to pretend tears because you might sit alone on a Friday night compared to the marriage failing.

I mean really, think about it....

Last edited by alanMolstad; 11-02-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or