U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,889,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The Apostle Paul asked this very important question of twelve saved disciples of Christ, at Ephesus.

Acts 19:1-6

(1) And it came to pass, that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts, came to Ephesus, and finding certain disciples,

(2) He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

(3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's Bapism.

(4) Then Paul said, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

(5) When they heard this, they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.

(6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, and the Holy Ghost came on them, and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

What is it for?

Power for service, "But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost has come upon you." (Acts 1:8)

Power in witnessing, not only in words, but in claiming healing, deliverance, in prayer, in understanding the Word and power to overcome sin and live a victorious life.

Acts 9:17-19

(17) And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house, and putting his hands on him, said, Brother Saul, the Lord (even Jesus that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest) hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

(18) And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales, and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

(19) And when he had received meat, he was strengthened.

Should you speak in tongues?

Yes, this is important! This is a gift from God, why should you refuse it? To refuse tongues is to refuse to yield yourself completely to God. If you will not yield completely, you cannot be used completely. It is important that you speak in tongues.

Who is it for?

Only for the 'born again' Christians. The Holy Spirit is not available to the world (the unsaved).

John 14:16-17

(16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever,

(17) Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

If you are not sure you are born again, be sure, before you seek the baptism. When you have truly become one of God's children, then "Your heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him." (Luke 11:13)

It is not only for the Apostles, or Jews, or people who lives in the days of the Apostles, but for all saved people in every age.

Acts 2:38-44

(38) Then Peter said unto them. Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are adar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

(40) And with many other words did he testify and ezhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

(41) Then they that gladly received his word, were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

(42) And they contiued stedfastly in the Apostles doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

(43) And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the Apostles.

(44) And all that believed were together, and had all things in common,

It is for all Christians that want a righteous life. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6)

God Bless you.
Verna.

Moderator cut: deleted.

Please know that the mods moderate.
Verna, don't get confused and believe that the rituals matter. They were only TYPES meant to be instruction. For example, water baptism is not a requirement to be saved. Water baptism was just a TYPE of the Holy Spirit. God would not attach our salvation to that which is perishable or that which is not pure. Water in a lake is not pure. It is only meant to be an instruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:01 PM

5,261 posts, read 3,968,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Verna, don't get confused and believe that the rituals matter. They were only TYPES meant to be instruction. For example, water baptism is not a requirement to be saved. Water baptism was just a TYPE of the Holy Spirit. God would not attach our salvation to that which is perishable or that which is not pure. Water in a lake is not pure. It is only meant to be an instruction.
I totally agree with you Paul...

Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,889,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I totally agree with you Paul...
I love agreements.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,613,207 times
Default Humiliation

I was Pentecostal. WAS. They'd openly humiliate people who weren't talking in tongues during the whooping and hollering at the alter. They made it seem like you were defective and full of some horrible sin. A bunch of people would gather around you and practically push you to the ground praying for you! It was horrible.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I love agreements.
......me too!!! They're so refreshing once in a while aren't they...?... God Bless you!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 PM

23,092 posts, read 11,206,611 times
Receipt of the baptism of the Holy Spirit occurred for ALL of us when Jesus was reborn as Spirit after His crucifixion. All any of us can do is recognize its presence within us or not. That recognition occurs when we welcome and follow its promptings in love of God and each other.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Dear kat and DaniMae,

I understand how you both feel, having had the horrible experience you did...that was not of God...please, believe me, it wasn't of the right spirit...it was surely not the workings of the Holy Spirit...it was wrong. It was of the world...the unsaved, who were abusing something so precious. They abused it because they were not born-again Christians...truly born again Christians, working under the anointing of the Holy Ghost.

Satan will intervene and try to lead people into confusion...using techniques of false religions and teachings, and it is an abomination. But, because these people did not seek the true Holy Spirit...Satan had full license into that whole environment...very wrong... and what you both experienced was truly not of God.

This must be done through Jesus Christ, then it will be the most preciously anointed experience one could ever know. I truly am sorry that your experiences were wrong in that they hurt you...spiritually. I pray that one day, you will find out how beautiful it really is through the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,
Verna

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,613,207 times
Default Thanks Verna...But....

I've been down this road over and over....it lasted 14 miserable years. Church life was just one heart ache and disapointment after another. I don't think I can go through it ever again. I became burned out big time.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I've been down this road over and over....it lasted 14 miserable years. Church life was just one heart ache and disapointment after another. I don't think I can go through it ever again. I became burned out big time.
DaniMae...the Church is in your heart...no where else...the Holy Spirit inside of you is so gentle, sweet, and tender...follow your heart with the love I know you possess for God, your Father, your Creator...and you'll never be dissappointed again. It's in you...it truly is.

Love,
Verna.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM

218 posts, read 178,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I understand that being submersed in water is not being sprinkled. But I know of people that were baptised by on the sprinking of water.
Those people you know who were baptized by sprinkling of water must of done it in a religion that is not teaching true biblical baptism known as " The Believer's Baptism" just like John the baptist did which is by submersion not sprinkling.

The thief on the cross next to Jesus asked Jesus for forgiveness and Jesus replied saying today you will be with me in paradise. Jesus didn't say get off the cross and go down there and be baptized by submerssion or sprinkling it was his heart that he was looking at. Baptism is done out of biblical obedience when you publicly identify with Christ that you received His free gift of grace for eternal life and are letting others know you accept Him. You don't go to hell because you didn't get baptized but for not receiving Jesus in your heart because of non belief in His sacrifice on the cross and His resurrection which defeated all sin past, present, and future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity