Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times

Advertisements

The Apostle Paul asked this very important question of twelve saved disciples of Christ, at Ephesus.

Acts 19:1-6

(1) And it came to pass, that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts, came to Ephesus, and finding certain disciples,

(2) He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

(3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's Bapism.

(4) Then Paul said, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

(5) When they heard this, they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.

(6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, and the Holy Ghost came on them, and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

What is it for?

Power for service, "But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost has come upon you." (Acts 1:8)

Power in witnessing, not only in words, but in claiming healing, deliverance, in prayer, in understanding the Word and power to overcome sin and live a victorious life.

Acts 9:17-19

(17) And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house, and putting his hands on him, said, Brother Saul, the Lord (even Jesus that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest) hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

(18) And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales, and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

(19) And when he had received meat, he was strengthened.

Should you speak in tongues?

Yes, this is important! This is a gift from God, why should you refuse it? To refuse tongues is to refuse to yield yourself completely to God. If you will not yield completely, you cannot be used completely. It is important that you speak in tongues.

Who is it for?

Only for the 'born again' Christians. The Holy Spirit is not available to the world (the unsaved).

John 14:16-17

(16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever,

(17) Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

If you are not sure you are born again, be sure, before you seek the baptism. When you have truly become one of God's children, then "Your heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him." (Luke 11:13)

It is not only for the Apostles, or Jews, or people who lives in the days of the Apostles, but for all saved people in every age.

Acts 2:38-44

(38) Then Peter said unto them. Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are adar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

(40) And with many other words did he testify and ezhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

(41) Then they that gladly received his word, were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

(42) And they contiued stedfastly in the Apostles doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

(43) And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the Apostles.

(44) And all that believed were together, and had all things in common,

It is for all Christians that want a righteous life. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6)

God Bless you.
Verna.

Moderator cut: deleted.

Please know that the mods moderate.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-17-2009 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
It is the understanding of Latter-day Saints that John the Baptist held only the Aaronic/Levitical Priesthood which has the authority to baptize with water, but does not have the authority to bestow the Holy Ghost. The Lord's Apostles held the higher Melchizedek Priesthood which can baptize with both water and the spirit ("confirmation" "baptism by fire.")

As the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times was being ushered in following the appearance of God the Father and Jesus Christ to their chosen prophet leader in the early 1800's in America, John the Baptist appeared as a resurrected being, laid his hands on the head of Joseph Smith and one other, and bestowed upon them the Aaronic Priesthood. A while later, Peter, James, and John also appeared and restored the Melchizedek Priesthood and the apostolic sealing power, again by the laying on of hands on the head of the recipient, as it is always done.

Today, soon after baptism by immersion in water, each person so baptized is also confirmed by the laying on of the hands of two or more worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders and commanded by that priesthood authority to receive the Holy Ghost. Those who live worthily can thus enjoy the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit.

Every Melchizedek Priesthood holder in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can trace their priesthood authority back to Jesus Christ through Peter, James, and John. So, in our beliefs, the Holy Ghost has been bestowed properly as it was done anciently. But each individual who has been confirmed can of course choose to offend or reject the Holy Spirit by their behavior and thought choices. Sincere repentance and forsaking of sin can bring the Spirit back in a manner that is felt unmistakeably.

That's how it's done among the Latter-day Saints.

Last edited by justamere10; 10-17-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Well, I remember a time when I would try to read the bible and couldn't understand what was in it or who the people were. I was a child and wanted to read the bible, but didn't have the Holy Spirit. Then one day, it was likea light came on and it just maid perfect sense.

My baptism was by immersion in water, but I do know of some people who are only baptised by the sprinkle of water.

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly as to what will be of topic. But thought I would atleast give my two cents.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
mod]

Orphaned
[/mod]

I grew up in a pentecostal environment and they baptized with the Holy Spirit regularly... as in all the time.

People spoke in tongues and fell down lifeless at the touch of the minister... It was all very weird and made me very uncomfortable.

Moderator cut:

Deleted due to response to 'orphaned' statement.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-17-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Thank you justamere10. That was very interesting. When I saw your post, I looked up LDS, (for the first time) just to get a glimpse of your beliefs. I intend to go back and read further...there were some things I read that I agree with..anyway...thank you for your response to my OP...
I probably should have posted a link to an official LDS website because a search often brings up hundreds of anti-Mormon sites that teach everything except the truth about our beliefs.

Here are a couple of reliable sites for information about the religious beliefs and practices of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

Living Apostles testify of Jesus Christ the Son of God:

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Basic beliefs, free Book of Mormon, live chat with an LDS missionary:

Mormon.org - Home

Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I remember a time when I would try to read the bible and couldn't understand what was in it or who the people were. I was a child and wanted to read the bible, but didn't have the Holy Spirit. Then one day, it was likea light came on and it just maid perfect sense.
Hello Miss Shawn,

I had this same experience concerning understanding the Bible...and The Holy Spirit has even enlightened His Word more as time goes by...it's wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn
My baptism was by immersion in water, but I do know of some people who are only baptised by the sprinkle of water.
There are two different types of baptisms Miss Shawn...I don't know if you are aware of that or not...but if you are not, I would be glad to explain them to you. One is a baptism by water, which is a physical act of faith. The other, (the one which I speak of in this thread) is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost...which is spiritual...and full of power for the believer who walks in obedience to God's Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn
I am not sure what you are looking for exactly as to what will be of topic. But thought I would atleast give my two cents.
I appreciate your "two cents"......and you are right on topic!

In Christ,
Verna.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM

218 posts, read 311,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post

Baptism means to submerse in water not sprinkle as some religions teach incorrectly. Submerssion is biblical. The Holy Spirit fell upon the Lord Jesus in the form of a dove when He went to the Jordan river to be baptized by John the baptist.

When you are born again John 3:3 you becom spirit filled and one with the body of Christ.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:24 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
Baptism means to submerse in water not sprinkle as some religions teach incorrectly. Submerssion is biblical. The Holy Spirit fell upon the Lord Jesus in the form of a dove when He went to the Jordan river to be baptized by John the baptist.

When you are born again John 3:3 you becom spirit filled and one with the body of Christ.
I understand that being submersed in water is not being sprinkled. But I know of people that were baptised by on the sprinking of water.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Yes.
I have been baptized by immersion, and I have also received the baptism of the Holy Ghost, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues.
It is a gift to the believer; it is scriptural.
The Lord still does, everything that He did, in the new testament.
He has not changed.
Yes, I have received the infilling of the Holy Ghost, and I have been slain in the spirit many times.
I loved the singing and joyous worship of Pentacostal churches, but I was never acceptable to them, because I wore make-up and jeans (GASP!)
Of course, there are "nondenomination" churches, that are not affiliated with any demonination and so they usually don't put that sort of condemnation on you.
It is a marvellous gift, yes.
But it is only the beginning......

If you truly have a heart for God, you are not just concerned about yourself and your own gifts and what you receive; you care about others.

It is more blessed to give, than to receive.

Plus, the Lord said this:

Quote:
Matthew 7
15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
And.......in Galatians we learn:

Quote:
Galatians 5
14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
It is more than speaking in tongues, for that is a gift to us.
Our calling is to be a gift to others.
When we love others as we love ourselves, then we know we are in the right place.
Sad to say, but I've seen people that can speak in tongues all day long, but wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.
We are called to love others as ourselves.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Yes.
I have been baptized by immersion, and I have also received the baptism of the Holy Ghost, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues.
It is a gift to the believer; it is scriptural.
The Lord still does, everything that He did, in the new testament.
He has not changed.
Yes, I have received the infilling of the Holy Ghost, and I have been slain in the spirit many times.
I loved the singing and joyous worship of Pentacostal churches, but I was never acceptable to them, because I wore make-up and jeans (GASP!)
Of course, there are "nondenomination" churches, that are not affiliated with any demonination and so they usually don't put that sort of condemnation on you.
It is a marvellous gift, yes.
But it is only the beginning......

If you truly have a heart for God, you are not just concerned about yourself and your own gifts and what you receive; you care about others.

It is more blessed to give, than to receive.

It is more than speaking in tongues, for that is a gift to us.
Our calling is to be a gift to others.
When we love others as we love ourselves, then we know we are in the right place.
Sad to say, but I've seen people that can speak in tongues all day long, but wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.
We are called to love others as ourselves.
Thank you Sundance for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity