U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
 
20,338 posts, read 15,721,845 times
Reputation: 7482

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Do you see how the use of the term 'day" by our Lord is talking about us seeing the sun?
Didn't you read the entire post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Matt. 28:1 as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week.
Does not talk about the sun

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning of the first day of the week.
Does not talk about the sun

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulcher.
Does not talk about the sun

John 20: Now on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark,
Does not talk about the sun

But we are not left without any hint as to what time it was,,,Just look at:
MARK 16:2
"Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
"

SO!!!!!!
So it looks like I was right after all...

So, while the other verses listed were still kinda 'in the dark" about what time it was, Mark is very sure that it was just after sunrise!!!!!

just after sunrise!!!!!
just after sunrise!!!!!
just after sunrise!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:52 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Didn't you read the entire post?
well, I read this part :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
So now along comes Mary as it begins to dawn toward the first day of the week (Sunday) while it was still dark. So in fact, night time has not gone. It is still dark.
So under this scenario, there never was a third period of daylight. There never was a third day. It just doesn't work.
and I have proved that part is in error...

so well....Im mean I looked up the Text and the sun was up,

Yes, it was still dark, but the sun was up! so the idea that it was night is just dead wrong
Jesus never said he would rise at night,,,that too is another thing people get wrong....

and, the idea im talking about is still the correct one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 PM
 
20,338 posts, read 15,721,845 times
Reputation: 7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
well, I read this part :

and I have proved that part is in error...

so well....Im mean I looked up the Text and the sun was up,

Yes, it was still dark, but the sun was up! so the idea that it was night is just dead wrong
Jesus never said he would rise at night,,,that too is another thing people get wrong....

and, the idea im talking about is still the correct one...
No. John 20:2 says that the stone had already been taken away by the time that she got there while it was still dark.

Guess we'll just have to disagree. But you might look at the link I gave that gives the reasons why it occurred on Wednesday. Including the Passover occuring on Thur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:47 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No. John 20:2 says that the stone had already been taken away by the time that she got there while it was still dark.

.
yes it was dark because the sun had just come up!

this is shown in :

MARK 16:2"Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb"

go look it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No. John 20:2 says that the stone had already been taken away by the time that she got there while it was still dark.

.
yes it was dark because the sun had just come up!

this is shown in :

MARK 16:2"Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb"


So the girls got on their way to the tomb that morning just after sunrise...

go look it up!

Once again, Im always right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
But you might look at the link I gave that gives the reasons why it occurred on Wednesday. Including the Passover occuring on Thur.
as I have said before,,,,

I got no problem with the day of the cross happening on Wednesday...

my concern is the totally in error argument dealing with the term "day' that many use...

It simply is not supported by the words and context of Jesus....

My point is this:
If your argument hangs on the use of the term "day" and you have interpreted that to mean 24 hours?...you are in error.

Also, if your argument is such that you believe when Jesus said that he would rise "On the third day" to mean 72 hours later?...you are in error....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM
 
20,338 posts, read 15,721,845 times
Reputation: 7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
as I have said before,,,,

I got no problem with the day of the cross happening on Wednesday...

my concern is the totally in error argument dealing with the term "day' that many use...

It simply is not supported by the words and context of Jesus....

My point is this:
If your argument hangs on the use of the term "day" and you have interpreted that to mean 24 hours?...you are in error.

Also, if your argument is such that you believe when Jesus said that he would rise "On the third day" to mean 72 hours later?...you are in error....
Look at it this way: it says three days and three nights. That means three separate 24 hour periods each consisting of a day and a night.


Day One) a day and a night

Day Two) a day and a night

Day Three) a day and a night

Since nights are included in the prophecy of Jonah in Matthew 12:40, that's what we have to go by.

And that means a Wednesday crucifixion.

It seems though that people are always going to disagree on this. It's not an essential doctrine. It doesn't affect salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,494,835 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Look at it this way: it says three days and three nights.


That means three separate 24 hour periods each consisting of a day and a night.
ahh,,,now we come to the main sticking point.
This one phrase "3 days and 3 nights" is the driving force many people have to find some way, ANYWAY to get 72 hours of grave time into the story.

The 3 days-3nights is the cause for a lot of people getting totally mixed up about and convincing them of arguements that if they would only backup and look up, they would see are a bit silly.

Heres a hint...
3 days and 3 nights....It not talking about 72 hours

let me point out one thing first...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That means three separate 24 hour periods each consisting of a day and a night.
Do you see the way you have written "That means..."?
My question is..."Who says?"

I dont remember that being an unquestionable law of Biblical interpretation...

at best you can say, "I guess that means..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 PM
 
20,338 posts, read 15,721,845 times
Reputation: 7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
ahh,,,now we come to the main sticking point.
This one phrase "3 days and 3 nights" is the driving force many people have to find some way, ANYWAY to get 72 hours of grave time into the story.

The 3 days-3nights is the cause for a lot of people getting totally mixed up about and convincing them of arguements that if they would only backup and look up, they would see are a bit silly.

Heres a hint...
3 days and 3 nights....It not talking about 72 hours

let me point out one thing first...

Do you see the way you have written "That means..."?
My question is..."Who says?"

I dont remember that being an unquestionable law of Biblical interpretation...

at best you can say, "I guess that means..."
In Genesis 1 it says:

There was evening and there was morning. One day.

There was evening and there was morning. A second day. (NASV)

And since in Matthew 12:40 it goes to the trouble of including the word night in with the word day, the meaning is clear. Three nights means there has to be three periods of darkness along with the three periods of day time hours.

If someone says to you that something is going to happen three days from now, you understand that he means three 24 hr. periods of time. It's no different with the Bible.

I don't know why anyone would want it to be one way or the other, except that it has become a matter of tradition to celebrate a good Friday. And by the way, neither Easter or Christmas are authorized by the Bible. But I guess that's another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top