U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

40,090 posts, read 26,755,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I wouldn't consider it a loss if you never did post in this forum again, to be honest. I'm not sure I've ever seen a nice comment from you to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I would! Why would you say that to anyone here, I mean really now. That is uncalled for. I don't wish for anyone to stop posting here. We can all co-exist.
It would seem the Pastor has lost all composure and Christian charity (also known as agape love), Heartsong. It happens when you think you know the ONLY truth and others don't agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I would only say that to people that act in particularly mean-spirited ways toward me. I don't mean to imply that anyone shouldn't post here, by all means, they have every right. But I tire of the "smartest guy in the room" attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe you need to look in the mirror - after taking off your rose-coloured glasses.
I would echo Trout's suggestion, Vizio.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,636,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It would seem the Pastor has lost all composure and Christian charity (also known as agape love), Heartsong. It happens when you think you know the ONLY truth and others don't agree with you.
I'm sorry if you consider it to be uncharitable to actually tell someone that they're full of hot air. You should read the Bible sometime. Sometimes the apostle Paul had some rather harsh words.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if you consider it to be uncharitable to actually tell someone that they're full of hot air. You should read the Bible sometime. Sometimes the apostle Paul had some rather harsh words.
Umm...you are now advocating the very thing you complained about up thread.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-31-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe you need to look in the mirror - after taking off your rose-coloured glasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Again . . . I would echo Trout's suggestion, Vizio.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
HotinAZ expressed in the first line of his above post exactly what June was thinking:

If one is truly a Christian, then why in the world would the world hate you?

In short: There would be no reason to. (The operative words here being "truly" a "Christian.")

P.S. ~"So simple even an atheist can get it!"...
Well, I know some Christians who claim to hate me. Does that count ?

No offense to the OP but this is a good example of what we call "quote mining" and taking words in a book out of context. The writings mentioned by the OP are proceeded with a command to Love one another, specifically agape (Greek αγαπατε) which would indicate a reciprocal love, within a group (greek αλληλους). Love each other. Outsiders may not share in this reciprocity. They may, but they may not. If someone from outside of the group does not love those within the group, then the context of this teaching would apply.

There are a number of Right wing Christians who have expressed a deep hatred of me, I respond by showing them charity and love. This would either disprove the entire writing above OR it shows that true Christian commands are either not followed, or perhaps do not apply outside of a select group.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM

32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Jesus said this to his disciples:

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me." John 15:18-21

This reward is promised to those who are hated for Christ's sake:

"Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets." Luke 6:22-23

According to John, it is easy to discern the children of God and the children of the devil:

"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you." 1 John
3:10-13

Donna Kupp

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets." Luke 6:26
Jesus pointed out who the persecutors(the world) where, and it was not the tax clloctors, publicans and prostitutes, it came from the religious establishment because they hated what he came in......... Grace and truth towards those hated by the religious establishment. Now if you are hated for being loving, gracious and merciful, then you might just have something to complain about.

35“The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37Last of all, he sent his son to them. ‘They will respect my son,’ he said.

38“But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him and take his inheritance.’ 39So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus pointed out who the persecutors(the world) where, and it was not the tax clloctors, publicans and prostitutes, it came from the religious establishment because they hated what he came in......... Grace and truth towards those hated by the religious establishment. Now if you are hated for being loving, gracious and merciful, then you might just have something to complain about.

35“The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37Last of all, he sent his son to them. ‘They will respect my son,’ he said.

38“But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him and take his inheritance.’ 39So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.
Go back to a previous thread which I posted in which a certain member of a certain Baptist church in Florida complained that I paid for a man's breakfast one morning when he suddenly found himself a dollar short of the bill. I have this thing about letting people go hungry. It is unacceptable to me.

Of course, someone who does not even have the money like I do to help others complained. Some one who does not embrace charity and forbearance towards his fellow man.

I have been told by others that I am a very kind individual. (Do not mistake my kindness, though, for weakness.) I am attempting to brag so do not mistake this story as such.

I have had to wonder if the religious establishment hates me because, for one, they don't make any money off of me, and two, I exist in a charitable peaceful life outside of their circle. What if I embodied the ideals of their faith without the doctrines, dogma and membership? What if I did not profess to their faith, but I nevertheless provided the fruits of a good tree. Some will say this is not possible, but clearly, it is. Proof of that is in the works, the reality.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM

32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Go back to a previous thread which I posted in which a certain member of a certain Baptist church in Florida complained that I paid for a man's breakfast one morning when he suddenly found himself a dollar short of the bill. I have this thing about letting people go hungry. It is unacceptable to me.

Of course, someone who does not even have the money like I do to help others complained. Some one who does not embrace charity and forbearance towards his fellow man.

I have been told by others that I am a very kind individual. (Do not mistake my kindness, though, for weakness.) I am attempting to brag so do not mistake this story as such.

I have had to wonder if the religious establishment hates me because, for one, they don't make any money off of me, and two, I exist in a charitable peaceful life outside of their circle. What if I embodied the ideals of their faith without the doctrines, dogma and membership? What if I did not profess to their faith, but I nevertheless provided the fruits of a good tree. Some will say this is not possible, but clearly, it is. Proof of that is in the works, the reality.
Unfortunately the religious establishment thinks there is no good in anyone unless you become a christian.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 AM

20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Unfortunately the religious establishment thinks there is no good in anyone unless you become a christian.
Many have become the victims of Religiosity, which condemns mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or