U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,665,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Go back to a previous thread which I posted in which a certain member of a certain Baptist church in Florida complained that I paid for a man's breakfast one morning when he suddenly found himself a dollar short of the bill. I have this thing about letting people go hungry. It is unacceptable to me.
One of the fundamentalists on CD told me I was wrong to buy cups of coffee for the homeless. His "reason" was because I was doing it on my own and not as a member of a church. I got quite the lecture.

I can't recall my response. I may have asked him if he wanted the name of the park these people live in so his church could start feeding them the "right" way.

When I read his response I hated the system of belief that would cause someone to judge (and criticize!) someone else for their decision to hand a homeless human being a cup of hot coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM

32,225 posts, read 21,111,453 times
Quote:
Go back to a previous thread which I posted in which a certain member of a certain Baptist church in Florida complained that I paid for a man's breakfast one morning when he suddenly found himself a dollar short of the bill. I have this thing about letting people go hungry. It is unacceptable to me.

Of course, someone who does not even have the money like I do to help others complained. Some one who does not embrace charity and forbearance towards his fellow man.

I have been told by others that I am a very kind individual. (Do not mistake my kindness, though, for weakness.) I am attempting to brag so do not mistake this story as such.

I have had to wonder if the religious establishment hates me because, for one, they don't make any money off of me, and two, I exist in a charitable peaceful life outside of their circle. What if I embodied the ideals of their faith without the doctrines, dogma and membership? What if I did not profess to their faith, but I nevertheless provided the fruits of a good tree. Some will say this is not possible, but clearly, it is. Proof of that is in the works, the reality.
Well i think you are one cool cat

Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 951,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One of the fundamentalists on CD told me I was wrong to buy cups of coffee for the homeless. His "reason" was because I was doing it on my own and not as a member of a church. I got quite the lecture.

I can't recall my response. I may have asked him if he wanted the name of the park these people live in so his church could start feeding them the "right" way.

When I read his response I hated the system of belief that would cause someone to judge (and criticize!) someone else for their decision to hand a homeless human being a cup of hot coffee.
One of my former Pastors turned away beggars at the church and told them to go get a job. It was the Fundmentalist Baptist church,, the last church I ever attended. It disgusted my husband because he was always preaching about giving regularly in the offering.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:19 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,975,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry if you consider it to be uncharitable to actually tell someone that they're full of hot air. You should read the Bible sometime. Sometimes the apostle Paul had some rather harsh words.
Oh THAT'S a valid argument, being that Paul was more or less a nutjob.....

Seriously, if Paul said the day was light and the night was dark, I would go check it out for myself before believing anything he said.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
One of my former Pastors turned away beggars at the church and told them to go get a job. It was the Fundmentalist Baptist church,, the last church I ever attended. It disgusted my husband because he was always preaching about giving regularly in the offering.
I was attending an afternoon Latin Mass once in a very affluent city. The Latin Mass, when performed with choir, music and such, it a work of art.
We were parking and I saw this beggar stop in front of the car. I told the wife to ignore him. Turns out he just wanted to know what time the Mass started, and he was there in the service. He was possibly not a homeless person, in spite of his appearance, he was in fact on a bike, so perhaps he was just environmentally minded.
What happened was the priest proceeded to tell everyone how it is not our position to judge others. He pointed out that God loves everyone, saying "even the most wretched, poor person God loves as much as He love you." Needless to say, I learned something and I have refrained from commentary and judgement of others because I do not know their situation.

Of course when I tell that story to fundies, they say "That is not true. God loves me/us but not anyone else"

Which is why my charitable giving to fundie groups last year was exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents. And everyone else, including the SPCA got a whole lot.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM

20,402 posts, read 9,831,311 times
I was at a Harvest Christian Fellowship Church helping the Pastor on a cold rainy night which turned to snow, when a man entered the front door, drenched and shivering. After a short conversation with the Pastor the man walked-out, back into the cold night. I was on the other side of the church, but overheard them, and intercepted the man walking down the sidewalk through the back door, which led to an alleyway. I invited him in, and told him we had to get him out of his wet clothes. The Pastor made his way to where the man and I were, making the statement: 'We cannot help him tonight.'

"I donít know who we are? But now is the only time we have."

The Pastor assumed that he was a drunk, who was merely looking for a handout.
However, he was actually on the verge of mild to moderate hypothermia.

There is more that could be said, but many pass out their judgments without ever walking in the other personís shoes.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 951,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I was at a Harvest Christian Fellowship Church helping the Pastor on a cold rainy night which turned to snow, when a man entered the front door, drenched and shivering. After a short conversation with the Pastor the man walked-out, back into the cold night. I was on the other side of the church, but overheard them, and intercepted the man walking down the sidewalk through the back door, which led to an alleyway. I invited him in, and told him we had to get him out of his wet clothes. The Pastor made his way to where the man and I were, making the statement: 'We cannot help him tonight.'

"I don’t know who we are? But now is the only time we have."

The Pastor assumed that he was a drunk, who was merely looking for a handout.
However, he was actually on the verge of mild to moderate hypothermia.

There is more that could be said, but many pass out their judgments without ever walking in the other person’s shoes.

That's a very sad thing to read, and apparently not an uncommon event.

Last edited by Heart_Song; 09-01-2014 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Just remember, the world will not hate you because you are a Christian. The world might hate you because you are an arrogant, condescending, judgmental and hateful A-Hole, but not because you are a Christian.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 PM

20,402 posts, read 9,831,311 times
Quote:
Just remember, the world will not hate you because you are a Christian. The world might hate you because you are an arrogant, condescending, judgmental and hateful A-Hole, but not because you are a Christian.
That's putting it mildly.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,332,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I have only read the last page of this thread, but this is crazy. I do not belong to any church now, and I am not sure what religion that would make me, but I was raised in a Catholic family and I never encountered stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or