U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-13-2007, 11:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 8,285,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Adventists will tell you that Satan was an angel who fell from grace and was cast out INTO the world...

I have to say that I don't know where they get that information from, whether its based on their interpretation of something in the bible or if its from their prophet Ellen White.
Ah......are you Christian? ***confused***

Satan, Lucifer, what ever you want to call him, was a fallen angel....that is not a Seveth Day Adventist creation.....that is part of the basic Christian theology.....it's biblical. The book of Ezekiel covers some of it....but it's spread over several others as well.

I would really be shocked (well, maybe not surprized though) that a Christian wouldn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-13-2007, 01:29 PM

253 posts, read 401,615 times
Well, I would consider it pretty obvious that Catholics are Christians. They are the people who preserved the Bible for centuries when it was falling everywhere else. Now, I am not a Catholic, nor do I agree with all of their teachings, but the fact that almost every Christian denomination is a protestant from the Catholic faith, I consider it quite obvious that they are Christian, or else none of the others are.

What is with this everybody saying that somebody else is not a true Christian, shouldn't we be focusing on whether or not we are true Christians? Christ himself spoke of not paying attention the the mote in a brother's eye when we ourselves have a beam in our own.

Unread 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM

954 posts
The problem maniac, is that everyone believes that only they have "the truth". Atheists, Christians, Hindi, Pagans, JW, Catholic.......all think that people who don't believe as they do are wrong. What I will say is that there is an awful lot more arguing and fighting about who's right and who's wrong between theists than there is amongst atheists.....and anyway, what would we have to discuss if we all thought the same?

Unread 05-13-2007, 02:08 PM

253 posts, read 401,615 times
Yes, but what is so hard about being nice? It's not nice to tell a Christian that they are not a "true" Christian, and it's not right if you believe in Christ because it is for him to judge and not us. If we all just speak calmly then things will be better.

Unread 05-13-2007, 04:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 10,299,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
When I say "learned" that doesn't mean I had to learn it in theology. I think one "learns" more by example and observing others...and this is exactly where I draw my conclusions. Let me guess...I'm completely WRONG!? Am I wrong about Catholics (and was misinformed by other Catholics?) or am I wrong about Christianity? Or perhaps maybe the Catholic church where I live is wrong?
I agree, most of us learn what little we know about religions by watching those who profess to be religious.

And its very easy to suggest if someone were to learn about christianity by my actions, I would be VERY careful how I behave! And if I were to judge christians by what I have read on these forums, I would be both disgusted and reassured.

The catholic faith is no different. All the more reason for us to learn to conduct ourselves in appropiate ways. I know I am farr from perfect. I think you, kawgz550 have always been very kind and respectful to me. And I thank you for it. It helps me to overcome my "early" experiences with christians.

Unread 05-13-2007, 04:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,235,361 times
I always thought that some Cathloics did not consider those who are not in their denomination to be real Christians..my first boyfriends mother was a devoted Cathlolic, she used to pray every day that he would break up with me, cause I would not join his church and our children would go to hell, I guess her prayers won, we never married, but I often wonder how hellish my life would of been if we did! TO her, me being non-catholic was worse than hell itself!

Unread 05-13-2007, 04:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 9,369,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
TO her, me being non-catholic was worse than hell itself!

To her, that was a dealbreaker!

Unread 05-13-2007, 04:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,235,361 times
Oh she used to "try"get him to get me to go to church with him, she ruined our relationship, helped it deteriate in a big way, always talked bout our potential children going to hell in a handbasket!

Unread 05-13-2007, 05:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 9,369,185 times
pghpanative - I don't think it was divine internvention (ie the lady praying!) that broke up the two of you it was human intervention! Geez! You're lucky you got out ... let somebody else handle her! With that said, I hope you have moved on with this beak up.

Unread 05-13-2007, 05:49 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,415,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I always thought that some Cathloics did not consider those who are not in their denomination to be real Christians..my first boyfriends mother was a devoted Cathlolic, she used to pray every day that he would break up with me, cause I would not join his church and our children would go to hell, I guess her prayers won, we never married, but I often wonder how hellish my life would of been if we did! TO her, me being non-catholic was worse than hell itself!
Many Catholics believe that. After I left the Catholic church certain members of my family literally disowned me.
They believe they are the one true church, and that is official teaching. Christians are not considered their brothers but separated brethren.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity