Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
So I've never heard this before until I started reading posts in this forum: that many Christians don't consider Catholics Christians. Yes, I've heard of other religions but my question is the Catholic religion. Why aren't Catholics Christian in some of you Christians' point of view?

My husband is Catholic so I asked him and he's never heard of this either. Can somebody respond to this?

i believe every single word that the Bible says. and the Bible is the only thing we can base our salvation upon. it doesn't necessarily matter what "denomination" we claim. we get so stuck on proving a point about what our denomination thinks that we don't wear the name of Christ or what His Truth says. Romans 10:9 says, "that if you confess with your mouth "Jesus is Lord!" and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Salvation is only found in Jesus Christ alone. not through mary. not through earning your way by good works and such. it's found solely on the faith and trust one places in Jesus Christ. knowing that you are guilty before God because you have sinned against only him. and by the blood that Jesus shed on the cross, he paid the fine for us so that we can get to heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Isn't the Catholic Bible somewhat different than the Protestant Bible? Maybe that's what you're referring to. Clearly they're both Christian but I know that the Ten Commandments for example are worded slightly differently.
Do you consider leaving out "thou shalt make no graven image" slight?

Why do you think only Catholic crosses have a figure of Jesus on them?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
I think few non-RC Christians are aware that there are significant differences in the actual Bibles of different Chrsitian faiths. For starters, the Catholic OT Bible includes seven extra books -- often called the Deuterocanonical texts and are namely, Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch and 1 and 2 Maccabees -- which do not appear in most, if not all, Protestant OT Bibles. So, depending upon whose perspective you want to follow, these books can be considered "in addition" to the Bible if you are not RC.

Here's a source that provides a great starting point for those who wish to investigate this fact a little more:

Books of the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The original 1611 King James Bible included those books as well. It was not a Catholic Bible.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:05 PM

17 posts, read 63,125 times
Smile Wars and Religion, Virgin Mary

This is in response to an ealier post, I'm new to the posting quotes thingy.

Let's not forget that God didn't tell man to go to war (The Cursades), that was only mans doing. More specific, church politics at the time. If you read the Bible it preaches to love one another not kill. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't read the Bible or needs to re-read it. IMO

As far as Catholics go, I think the big mis-understanding is that they pray to the virgin mary. Exodus 20:4 talks about NOT bowing down to worship anything/anyone other than God. This is where the confusion comes in. IMO While Mary was a very important figure in the life of Jesus, there is no biblical evidence that was should pray to her. There are many other women who were considered "Blessed Women" in the Bible but we don't here about praying to them. The bottom line is, all worship should be directed to God alone through Jesus Christ. I'm no scholar, so if I'm wrong, by all means set me straight.

jb

Old 04-05-2008, 09:19 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
This thread just won't die! lol

It's almost impossible to separate Christians from each other since there is a blend of catholism throughout the Church.

I come from a family that is evenly divided between Roman Catholic and Lutherans and have had the advantage, as a Catholic to closely observe the Lutherans at worship & in conversations with my Lutheran relatives.

First off, the "conservative" reformers in the 1500's were careful not to abandon the Catholic faith. Luther regrettably considered anti-baptists [Baptists] as non-Christian & encouraged Lutherans to persecute Baptists. He felt that the protestant reformation was going too far away from the historic church. The Lutheran reformation, like the Anglicans, was an effort to address the un-Christian practices of selling indulgences & emphasizing good works over the salvation that comes from Christ's sacrifice.

But Luther was very careful not to leave the Catholic tradition of Mass & worship. That's why it is awkward for some Protestants to worship in a Lutheran or Episcopalian church since they retain the customs of the ancient Church & are much closer to the Roman Catholics than most Protestant churches in the way they conduct worship [cross themselves, bow to the altar, chant, kneel, etc]. There are even Lutheran & Anglican rosaries, nuns & monks, archbishops, prayers for the dead, saints days/holy days, consider Mary the Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, ever-virgin, etc.

When you consider that the world-wide Roman Catholic church, Orthodox’s, Lutherans and Anglicans overwhelmingly outnumber all other Christians, then they could actually say that most Protestants are not real Christians in the tradition of the historic Church

Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
You know, I'm not Catholic, but I'm annoyed by this mentality. There are Bible beaters out there who believes that anybody who doesn't attend their church is not a real Christian. Sad if you really think about it.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do you consider leaving out "thou shalt make no graven image" slight?

Why do you think only Catholic crosses have a figure of Jesus on them?
There are actually two different traditions in Christianity regarding the Ten Commandments.

The one protestants follow was that by offered by the theologian Origen. The one Catholics follow is the one offered by St. Augustine. Origen's version contains the prohibition against graven imagery. St. Augustine's did not.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
The Schizm(Breaking apart from) the Catholic Church by the British had to do with One of the Kings(Henry the XIII, i think) wanted to divorce and remarry and The Pope(aka. the Bishop of Rome) would not grant him permission to remarry...So; Henry basically said, "I'll show you...I'll start the Church of England and I-the King-shall lead this church...
I think there was a little more to it than that.
I believe there were quite a few incidents of
"burning alive at the stake" for heresy that
got people a little riled up.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 PM

326 posts, read 1,107,753 times
Catholics follow the Cathechism. This is manmade unbiblical traditions such as praying to Mary, rosary prayers, Saints, praying in front of Statues... Christians on the other hand always have a bible in their hand when they go to church and their church follows the bible and doesn't make up any traditions. Christians stay strict to the word of God. PLEASE read the New Testament.
Here is what happened to me:
I was a Catholic for 25 years and was empty inside. It wasn't until I began reading the New Testament and got born again that Jesus filled me with his spirit and saved me. Please get a bible and start with the New Testament.
Here is my personal testimony.
While going to Berklee College of Music in Boston Ma I was going to church on Sundays but didn't feel close to God. I had a friend who told me she had a personal relationship with Jesus and that she was very close to him. I wanted what she had so I decided to give my life to God 09/13/2005 by saying the attached salvation prayer to Jesus giving him my life and repenting of my past sins and amazing things have happened.
happened. The holy spirit entered me and saved me. I then stopped going to my church that didn't follow the bible. (They had their own traditions...traditions of man.) I went to my friends Baptist/Pentecostal church and was praying in my mind for joy while the Pastor was talking about something totally different. The Pastor then suddenly said "Is there a Cory here? God just spoke to me that you are praying for joy!" I went to the front and he prayed over me. I never felt so much joy in my life. "You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound" Ps 4:7 ONLY God could hear thoughts. "The Lord knows the thoughts of man" Ps 94:11. " Jesus knew their thoughts" Mt 12:25 "Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said" Mt 9:4...Then a week later I had a strange dream and I cried to God to send someone to me to let me know that the dream was or wasn’t from him. I went back to church and the Pastor prayed over me and said "God told me he loves you and the dream wasn’t from him." God heard my prayer! Only God heard it! A few days later I tried to bring one of my teachers at college to Christ and she rejected him.. I ran home in tears and cried out to Jesus telling him that my teacher doesn’t know him but I do and love him. He then showed himself to me! Right there in my bedroom I had a vision of Jesus Christ himself!! I have never ever ever seen a face so beautiful in all my life. He glowed and was all in white and had such love in his eyes!! "Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions" Acts 2:17. Another thing that happened is I had a heart condition and a group of holy spirit filled people prayed over me and touched my heart and I felt electricity go into my heart and I was 100% healed of my heart condition! Jesus healed me!
All this happened to me so I know God is real and that the New Testament is real and Christ is the ONLY way to heaven. This is real! How else would the things that happened to me happen??!!!!! and God has put in my heart to tell people he is coming soon. He loves everyone and wants everyone to be with him. If you are without holy spirit and have not given your life to Christ you will be left behind for all eternity. What if he comes tonight? Will you be without holy spirit? When he comes again (the rapture) the whole world will see him coming down from heaven. The born again holy spirit filled believers (the redeemed)will go up with him to live with him forever and everyone else will be left behind to Satan. Please, all you have to do is say this prayer out loud to Jesus with your heart and you will get the holy spirit, your past sins will be erased in your book in heaven, and your name will be written in God’s book of life. You are then promised eternity in heaven rather than eternity in hell. Do you know how long eternity is? It’s FOREVER! Don’t worry, here is the prayer to say out loud to God:
I believe in God and is his son Jesus Christ. Jesus I believe you are Lord and you died on the cross to cleanse me of my sins, and I believe you rose again on the third day. In this moment I am asking you to forgive me of every sin that I have ever committed in my life. I am sorry. Jesus, I have made the decision to hand over my life to you. I give you all my life and will follow you the rest of my life. I invite you into my heart. Please come into my heart and put your holy spirit in me. Please wash away the sins of my past with your precious blood and make me new. I give you all my mind, heart and soul. Please make me new through your holy spirit. Please help me discover what your will is for my life. Please take my life and guide me for the rest of my life by your holy spirit. I surrender to you Lord Jesus. Thank you for my salvation. Thank you because I have just been saved and am now your child. Amen ? Turn page over ????
Now that you have been saved from fire and will go to an eternal PARADISE, you will need to find a BIBLE BELIEVING BIBLE FOLLOWING CHRISTIAN church!!! Now that you have the holy spirit, read the New Testament. Your eyes will be open so you will understand. I am so happy I’ll see you in heaven! The devil just LOST YOU!!!! :-) You now belong to the kingdom of heaven and are God’s child! Go to this website and see what you just saved yourself from.? Mary K Baxter A Divine Revelation of Hell Heaven To see where you are going if you hand over your life to Christ visit this link!! ? A Divine Revelation of Heaven by Mary K Baxter
You can get a FREE bible mailed to you!!!...Visit one of these links!FREE New Testament
Free New Testament Home Page (http://www.freenewtestament.com/ - broken link) or Road to Salvation - Free New Testament Bible Request or Requesting A Free Bible or Free New Testament Bible - GracePoint Church or Request Your Free New Testament Bible - Get Your Free Bible or Email- KenMoss@JesusIsTheChrist.org to request bible.
FREE Whole Bible--- Soul Winning, Biblical Discipleship, Witnessing, God, Evangelism, Christian Dating (http://www.soulwinners.com/main.cfm?ID=13 - broken link) FREE-Read whole Bible online!-- The Holy Bible or King James Bible FREE King James Version Of The Bible with the Apocrypha for FREE
Attend FREE Gospel Bible Institute...FREE room, board ,meals ? Call 724-327-5454
? Here are some bible passages for you to start you off!! ?
Ephesians 1:13....."And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised holy spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession-to the praise of his glory."
John 3:16-----For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Romans 5:1,5.."Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
Romans 10: 9,10....."If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and our justified, and it is your mouth that you confess and are saved."
Luke 11:27......."As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you." He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the words of God and obey it."
1 Timothy 2:5.."For there is one God and ONE mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"
Acts 4:12....."Salvation is found in no one else, for there is NO other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
Matthew 24:35 & Mark 13:31.."Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." Jesus Christ
Jesus loves you so much that if you were the only person in the whole world, he would have died just for you. ? Please pass this on to your friends and family Love, Corinne
Only by getting born again and inviting Jesus into your heart and giving him all your life can you be saved and promised heaven and this has to be a personal decision you make at the age to make this decision. It says it right in the bible in John. PLEASE get a bible and start reading it. You need to start by reading the New Testament. A good place to start is the book of John.

Email me at corking@live.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot
First, this is NOT the place for those who want to bash Catholics. I only want discourse based on something I experienced while at Mass/Church.

I went to Mass at a parish I rarely go to. While waiting in the entry area, they had some leaflets I was looking at. One was entitled "Hell Exists and You Might Just Go There." I picked it up and read through it, quickly. Essentially, it talked about hell being a reality and it also added that praying the Rosary, including certain indispensible intermediate specific words of prayer, was essential to salvation. It was put out by one particular religious order. It made me fairly mad because it harkened back to the Catholic grammar school message of "you are basically bad kids" that is no longer "in vogue."

A couple of things:
(1) Do you still see the Catholic church, of which I am a member, as selling the "you are bad" scenario....I thought they were moving away from this....I mean, right now, churches are losing so many people that they can't be pushing this message
(2) How do you deal with the splintering of the Church by various orders? (As if the splintering between Christian sects wasn't already bad enough). Some orders push the Rosary and others do not. I once had a penance/atonement changed on me by a priest from another order because he disagreed with the previous priest's penance (which I brought up because I still hadn't done it because there were some logistics issues...not a big deal, really). There is this canyon between the liberal and the conservative, even within our own Church.

Catholics, or those familiar with Catholicism that aren't here to bash it, please chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
So I've never heard this before until I started reading posts in this forum: that many Christians don't consider Catholics Christians. Yes, I've heard of other religions but my question is the Catholic religion. Why aren't Catholics Christian in some of you Christians' point of view?

My husband is Catholic so I asked him and he's never heard of this either. Can somebody respond to this?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
By MONTANAGUY

The problem people had with Kennedy was not that he was a Roman Catholic! Like Truman said: "I have no problem with him The problem I have is with the POP"! Big Daddy Kennedy was a big time organized crime boss! The Kennedys up until today still recieve monetary proceeds from the sale of every bottle of scotch and wiskey.

Mormons are not Christians! Mormons follow the book of Mormon not the Judeo-Christian Bible! The Book of Mormon says Jesus and Luicfer are brothers and joint creators of the world! On the other hand The Bible says that Jesus and only Jesus is the sole creator! Jesus Christ is the sole creator of Man the World and Universe!
People did indeed have a problem with Kennedy being Catholic. They were afraid a Catholic
President would have too much allegiance to the Pope. Many people left Europe to get away from Catholic persecution (Puritans for example) and the last thing they wanted was to live where a Catholic was in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity