U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,236,416 times
foma wrote:
Quote:
When you say "that kind of attitude" what do you mean? That people think Catholics aren't Christians?
Yes, that's what I'm getting at or maybe I should say they're not perceived as the right kind of Christians. I think some of this might even be based on ethnic perceptions as well. During the 1800's the Irish who were mainly Catholic were looked down on by many Americans (my ancestors are mostly Irish) and Italians and Spanish speaking nations were also perceived in a different manner. In fact a century ago it was a pretty big thing when two people with different religious background wanted to marry. It was frowned upon by many. Thankfully things have improved since those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 PM

2,952 posts, read 104,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
What else other than the Bible would Catholics base their religion on? If this question goes with your point of view according to the latter sentence then don't worry about answering it!

One more for whoever:

According to what I know from my husband, Catholicism is the first Christian faith and all other Christian religions evolved from Catholicism. Is he the only one that thinks that?

I'm soooo confused.
Foma ask some of the Catholics that post on this forum, because one of them told me specifically that the Bible was not the only source.
And what on earth do you mean "if this question goes with your point of view? what question. I believe you asked the question. . .

Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

199 posts, read 727,466 times
The Catholic Church relies on Scripture AND Tradition. Both come from God.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."

Only the protestants since the Reformation insist that only Scripture is necessary to know the Word of God.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,249,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Foma ask some of the Catholics that post on this forum, because one of them told me specifically that the Bible was not the only source.
And what on earth do you mean "if this question goes with your point of view? what question. I believe you asked the question. . .
Well I know I posted that I don't believe the bible is the actual word of God, but that is a personal belief not a Catholic one. As far as I know there aren't any other sources other than the bible that Catholics get their doctrine from. Maybe you can clarify what sources you are talking about? Maybe you are mixing us up with Mormons (who I also believe to be Christian) who also use the Book of Mormon for their doctrine?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

No, I am not mixing up the Mormons and Catholicis. I am very aware of the Book of Mormon and the two religions are very different. I will look back and try to find the posts.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 PM

205 posts, read 510,702 times
This issue has bothered me, why is it people think the Bible came about on its own without someone compilling it in the first place? And the fact that self-interpretation has really gotten Protestantism nowhere except a couple thousand denominations and counting. So if the Catholics formed the first group of Christians, how can some people exclude them from being Christian?

I'm not saying only Catholics are Christians by any means. I think there are really good Christians in every denomination. I'm really more interested in the theology than who's really Christian among all the Christian (incl. Catholic, Orthodox) churches.

That said, I don't understand how tradition can be excluded and have everyone (or church elder) interpret the bible for themselves and/or their congregation.

The bible is not an easy read, let alone an easy interpretation. How can you trust your church elder or yourself to interpret it and be correct?...I know, I know, the holy spirit is guiding you. But wouldn't the holy spirit want to guide everyone together, as a Christian "body" as opposed to an "individual"?

Last edited by linkbr; 05-08-2007 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM

489 posts, read 534,675 times
I'm a Catholic and ran into this insistence we are not Christian about 9 years ago after I moved to the south. Historically it is a completely inaccurate statement since Catholicism was the denomination created by the first followers of Christ. Most of the other Christian religions practiced in the US began after Martin Luther began his movement against Catholicism. His followers mainly disliked the hierarchial nature of the Catholic church. Like all Christian religions, the Bible is the basis for all the beliefs of the Catholic church. Where you may be getting confused is that unlike other Christian religions, the Catholic religion follows a catechism created by a commission of Cardinals and Bishops. This catechism, as mentioned above, includes the Living Tradition of the church. Here is what the Catechism says in the Prologue:

"A catechism should faithfully and systematically present the teaching of Sacred Scripture, the living Tradition in the Church and the authentic Magisterium, as well as the spiritual heritage of the Fathers, Doctors, and saints of the Church, to allow for a better knowledge of the Christian mystery and for enlivening the faith of the People of God. It should take into account the doctrinal statements which down the centuries the Holy Spirit has intimated to his Church. It should also help to illumine with the light of faith the new situations and problems which had not yet emerged in the past."

Catholics are very much Christians! Thanks for an interesting thread!

Last edited by ellar; 05-08-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 PM

4,215 posts, read 9,953,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Sorry spunky1 ... I was a little ambiguous in that statement!

What I meant was, does the question I asked, "What else other than the Bible would Catholics base their religion on?" go against your view that some things "isn't best debated on an internet forum", like Catholicism? If it is, you didn't have to answer it and I would understand.

I'm sorry ... you seemed a little frustrated and annoyed. I didn't mean anything insulting ... I think I just didn't word the question right!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM

I can't understand how one who says they are a Christian doesn't believe the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible is the only source, the only book God gave us. It is His word, and the word we live by if we are Christians and want to follow him.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,236,416 times
Isn't the Catholic Bible somewhat different than the Protestant Bible? Maybe that's what you're referring to. Clearly they're both Christian but I know that the Ten Commandments for example are worded slightly differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity