Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,450,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
Yes, I have asked others to pray for me.

However, I know that when I pray I can pray directly to Jesus Christ and He hears my prayers. There is a verse in the scripture which says the prayer of a righteous person is powerful.

In James 5:16 we are told, "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
So, we should pray for each other. We are not told to pray to the virgin Mary or to any other saints who are not alive. I choose to believe in the word of God.
we are not praying TO them, we are asking that they pray WITH us--see the link i posted for your answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM

also catholics believe that the saints are all not alive---

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM

216 posts, read 602,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i seem to recall someone complaining that catholics confess their sins to a preist--this statement that i underlined is a contradiction to that.
yes we ask for saints prayers on our behalf. i have witnessed small and large miracles thanks to saints that have prayed on our behalf.
I come before God to confess my sins. The problem I have with confessing my sins to a priest is that only God can forgive our sins.
Can a priest forgive sin?
Absolutely not. Only God can forgive our sins.

Also we are not told to confess our sins before a priest or minister. Instead it simply says to confess our faults to each other.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 PM

dont you think as a christian that time would be better spent trying to find those who have lost their faith and help them get it back, instead of arguing with other believers about HOW we worship the same God?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
dont you think as a christian that time would be better spent trying to find those who have lost their faith and help them get it back, instead of arguing with other believers about HOW we worship the same God?
I agree. I think we can learn and inspire one another. The scriptures tell us to prove everthing. Therefore, before we accept anything we must prove it what the word of God has to say about this matter. We also are told to rebuke one another in the word of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:21
"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Secondly. An excellent verse that that the Holy Spirit touch me on.
2 Timothy 2:15: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

2 Timothy 2:16: "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,355,980 times
First let me say up front that I am an atheist but I grew up in a religion that identified itself as christian. They also spent alot of time pointing their finger at other religions, saying they are not christian, they don't know the real message, they don't worship the real god so forth and so on.

Personally, I believe people should concentrate on their own lives, if doing this leads you to a religion, you have to live your life the way you think is right. I can't imagine pointing your finger at others and thinking you know what is in their heart is how we are supposed to live our lives here on earth.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM

756 posts, read 2,569,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
My guess is that the author of the post above has been indoctrinated with a kind of Catholic hate. I say this as a non-catholic. She is throwing doodie on the wall to see what sticks. Its fairly transparent.

My quess is the author will read my posts and then reply in kind with a whole bunch of scripture and possibly some links to Youtube.. cause Jesus just loves Youtube. Next will be some link to an fundamentalist apologetics website and then the author will more than likely post that they just want to save us because the author knows everyone so well that they feel like they have the right to tell us that their way of thinking is the only way. Thats just a guess.. maybe I'm wrong... but I'd take my odds on being right to Vegas anytime.

I'm sure you understand that not all protestants think this way...
I thought the author asked for clarification?????

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
I agree. I think we can learn and inspire one another. The scriptures tell us to prove everthing. Therefore, before we accept anything we must prove it what the word of God has to say about this matter. We also are told to rebuke one another in the word of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:21
"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Secondly. An excellent verse that that the Holy Spirit touch me on.
2 Timothy 2:15: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

2 Timothy 2:16: "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."
instead of quoting, can you just say outrite what you are thinking? that way you leave no room for interpretation and err...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
instead of quoting, can you just say outrite what you are thinking? that way you leave no room for interpretation and err...
I am quoting from the scriptures so that others can check up on me.

Also, the word of God has preference over my words. I can write anything but without any proof,
Why should anyone believe it?
We need to prove all things. Even the words of a priest or minister must be tested according to the scriptures.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM

but i would sometimes just like to read people opinions rather than see them constantly quoting the bible.
if you must quote, then elaborate with your own words. this is not a thesis--this is a forum. now if you were throwing out facts and figures, i would expect proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity