U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,121,603 times

Advertisements

Basically, as I see it, there are traditional Christians and evangelical Christians. Traditional Christians value an educated clergy & seminarians are required to study the Bible, Church teachings, theology, liturgy for 4 yrs after graduating from college. Less traditional Christians value a lay-oriented approach where pastors don't have to have an education or an ordination. There is no real authority other than a particular congregation's belief in a literal interpretation of the Bible [Creationism].

The sacraments of baptism and holy communion are considered symbolic events rather than a personal experience of God to man/woman. Most Christians believe that the clergy are set aside to guide the lay folk in our faith in Jesus Christ. They are responsible [like a shepherd to his flock] to watch over us and lead us into a greater understanding of our responsibility to love others as we love God. The holy water of baptism cleans us from sin. In the Mass we receive the nourishment of bread and wine that becomes the very Body & Blood of Christ. The priest doesn't give us anything other than what God provides us through his servants, the clergy.

Like many have expressed, the majority of Christians would never offend another believer in Jesus to make a biblical assertion. It appears a minority within the Church disagree with the overwhelming beliefs of most Christians.

The attack is not on the Roman Catholic church but all Christians who profess the faith expressed in the Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian creeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,433,718 times
Frankly I think its extremely offensive to make a judgement like this that for example Catholics or any other religion are not christian. No one knows what is in these peoples heart.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM

545 posts, read 1,277,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
So I've never heard this before until I started reading posts in this forum: that many Christians don't consider Catholics Christians. Yes, I've heard of other religions but my question is the Catholic religion. Why aren't Catholics Christian in some of you Christians' point of view?

My husband is Catholic so I asked him and he's never heard of this either. Can somebody respond to this?
REPLY: Catholicism differs from what the Bible says on many points. Here is a comparison between the Catholic Catechism and The Bible : 'Understanding Roman Catholicism' by Rick Jones - Table of Contents

Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM

469 posts, read 698,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Like many have expressed, the majority of Christians would never offend another believer in Jesus to make a biblical assertion. It appears a minority within the Church disagree with the overwhelming beliefs of most Christians.

The attack is not on the Roman Catholic church but all Christians who profess the faith expressed in the Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian creeds.
I think you are too intellegent to respond to these airheads. The Catholic church has been around for nearly two thousand years. Has a tradition, culture and spirituality in the west second to none. These individuals foam at the mouth, because they can not compare. Most have only been around for 150 years or less. But we let them be, nothing is lost, nothing is gained.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 PM

545 posts, read 1,277,709 times
How biblical is Roman Catholicism ?? Answer to the following is a resounding 'No' :

1. Is Mary being sinless in the Bible.
2. Is Mary being Queen over all things (from heaven), in the bible.
3. How about, the Treasury of Merits teaching, that a dead catholic in
1222 a.d can contribute to your ongoing salvation?
4. How about Praying with Beads for salvation
5. Salvation thru a church.?
6. Reconciliaton necessary to a church .
7. Baptism necessary to erase original sin.
7. Baptism necessary to get into any church
8. An instance of a Priest in the NT doing 'anything' ?
9. Can Mary save us in the Bible
10. An instance of the name of a church forgiving sins
11. Bowing to Statues. Kissing them too.
12.Mary as intercessor
13. Doing the eucharist to help the deads salvation
14. Doing the Eucharist to preserve from sins
15. Earning Indulgences in the NT ?
16. earning indulgences in the OT ?
17.Praying repititiously a mantra , in the NTor OT?
18. Making statues
19. Purgatory in the NT.? Your enclyopedia says 'NO'.
20. Last rites given so one can be 'completely conformed to Christ' in
the NT?
21. A Pope who speaks total truth in a High Chair in the NT?
22. The sin of presumption in the NT?
23. Carrying a crucifix around all the time in the NT?
24. Doing works of penance to self atone in the NT?
25. The scapular invention in the NT?
26. Marion apparitions in the NT ?
27. Anyone praying to the Saints (the APostles after they died) in the
NT?
28. Not eating Meat on Fridays in the NT?
29. Popes burning Bible believers in the NT???
30. Anyone being called 'a Pope or Nun' in the NT?
31. The Simon Stock saga, in the NT ?
32. Canonization of Saints in the NT after they died ?
33. Mary answering prayers around the globe, in the NT after she died
(or 'taken up'). ?
34. Mary assumed to Heaven in the NT?
35. Jesus calling Mary , Queen over all things while on earth, in the
NT?
36. Someone calling mary sinless, in the NT?
37. Mandatory celibacy of Disciples or APostles in the NT ?
38. Any mention of extra-biblical means of salvation, in the NT?
39. Any mention of 'ongoing redemption for one to complete on his own',
in the NT?
40. Traditions and Church Leaders EQUAL to Gods Word, in the NT?
41. A select few men required to interpret Gods Word, in the NT, for ALL
people ?
42. Any mention of a Cardinal in the NT?
43. Any mention of a Confession Box in the NT ?
44. Any example of a person actually making a confession to a Priest
dressed in a fancy robe in a Box...in the NT or OT ?
45. Any mention of Genesis being a 'myth' in the NT?
46. How about any mention of God creating the universe using Big Bang
Survival of the Fittest scenario, or anything simular in the least...in
the NT?
47. How about Jesus NOT making any statements regarding Creation, Noah,
the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or Jonah and the Whale as actual events,
in the NT???
48. How about an instance whereby we should 'submit our total will and
intellect to Church Leaders'. , in the NT?
49. How about any mention NOT to check out all teachings in accordance
to Gods Word...in the NT?
50. How about Christ or any other person in the NT...declaring that
'christ only opened a door to heaven' when he was present on the cross
..and did not complete redemption nor salvation ?
51. How about missing a mass sends you to hell, in the NT ??
52. Was any sin unforgivable in the NT, except rejecting Gods free
gift/dying without Christ ?
53. How about baptizing of infants in the NT?
54. How about baptizing ANY child of any age...in the NT?
55. How about the repentent thief on the cross with Jesus, having 'a
desire' for water Baptism and to do good works, in the NT?
56. How about ANY church in the OT or NT declaring that an anethema will
fall on a person , for believing Christ for salvation by Faith alone ?
57. How about ANY person making the sign of the cross on themselves in
the NT?
58. How about Mary as 'MOther of the Church' in the NT?
59. How about ANY person in the NT, exalting Mary and / or giving her
such grand adulation and praise , and making statues in her honor ???
60. How about ANY prayer of any kind TO Mary for anything or any reason
, in the NT ?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:30 PM

4,891 posts, read 11,980,281 times
WHYYYYYYY are you all so against Catholics?! we Believe in God, we follow the new testament and we try to follow the 10 commandments. just because we dont yell at people, tell them they are all going to hell for not worshipping in our way, etc, it means we are not Christians?
hate to tell you, but the way you are acting is not very Christian like. i doubt God would like it too much--
i think you extreme "christians" just like to think you are the only ones that have an "IN' with God---i doubt it though

Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 PM

How biblical is it to judge your fellow man?

"Judge not that ye be not judged."

This from an atheist.

Anyone wonder why I won't have anything to do with people who CALL themselves christians??

Old 04-26-2008, 11:20 PM

4,220 posts, read 10,179,679 times
You are right Mcfarren. When I asked this question, I knew I'd get a variety of responses but a lot of them have been based on judgement and not "factual". I put factual in quotes b'c I wasn't expecting "cold hard facts" per say but dang, this post has definitely solidified my opinion that Christians are so judgmental.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You are right Mcfarren. When I asked this question, I knew I'd get a variety of responses but a lot of them have been based on judgement and not "factual". I put factual in quotes b'c I wasn't expecting "cold hard facts" per say but dang, this post has definitely solidified my opinion that Christians are so judgmental.
I am not Catholic and never have been but the thing I like about them is I have never had a Catholic try to shove their ideas down my throat or turn on other christians and claim they aren't christian. They have a more live and let live attitude.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM

469 posts, read 698,280 times
Roman Catholics as well as those who practice ancient religion traditions such as the Khaballa (early Jewish tradition), Hindi gurus, and theTibetan monks, have always used, Motion, Dance, Ritual, Chant prayers and sounds to elevate the spirit. They enable the participants have a taste of the incomprehensive world of God. The limited human senses allow limited awareness, such as balance a check book or perform other mundane tasks, but are not enough to get a glimpse of what God is about. Remember Jesus said "I am not of this world", and that "the kingdom of God is within us". The ancients have always known that. Therefore, it is impossible to be part of god by being "ordinarily logical."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity