Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,864,836 times

Advertisements

VOTF is probaly the most consevative of all the groups out there that some may question.
Their slogan is "Keep the Faith, Change the CHURCH"

Voice Of the Faithful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM

28 posts, read 40,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"I think you are implying that a new convert is more likely to be fired up about the church"

And you think that is a bad thing? I don't.
No, I don't either. Why else would you ask if I was a new convert? Should Jesus be the role model of women? That is a strange question. I think it is a very weird question. Is Jesus not the savior of all? If so, he has taught us to strive to be holy men of faith and also holy women of faith. Weird question. If even Jesus is unacceptable to certain women....geeezzzzz.......then I would point to his mother. Mary is the perfect example of a Holy Woman.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,864,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RC View Post
No, I was not aware the Church has said NO to Medjugorie. I knew the Church had not said yes and has used caution and discretion. I thought the Church simply said the long lines for confession and the many conversions were what really mattered rather than the miracles which have occasionally took place. The messages have been nearly identical in all three.

I have not heard that much said on it, so there is an outside chance I could be wrong.
I was much into Medjugorie back in the 80's, my mother was buried with a Miraculas Medal from Medjugorie I had given her, it was said to have turned from silver to a gold in color when exposed to the sun event people had witness.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM

28 posts, read 40,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I have not heard that much said on it, so there is an outside chance I could be wrong.
I was much into Medjugorie back in the 80's, my mother was buried with a Miraculas Medal from Medjugorie I had given her, it was said to have turned from silver to a gold in color when exposed to the sun event people had witness.
I am sorry for your loss. That is cool your mother was buried with the Medal. I have heard of such occurences such as what you mentioned. I know people who went there and they saw extraordinary events that changed them forever. Did you or your mother ever go there? I did not ever go but like you, I was interested and paid attention to some of what was going on. Not so much in the last 10 years. Maybe it would be cool to start a new thread asking anyone who has gone there to comment.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,542 times
Default you do to worship and pray to mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar9 View Post
Well, I'm Catholic, too, and I have learned that many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians do believe that Catholics aren't Christian. They believe we worship Mary and are idolators, among other things, which is not true.

I could probably find a few websites to send you to that state this from their perspective.
i went to a catholic school and church, don't tell me you don't pray to mary (praying is a form of worship) because catholics do, at least every may they do!! Catholics care too much about folloing rules and traditions and all those superficial things, but they don't have a true close relationship with God, which is the main part of Christianity.
simply put, catholics do worship mary, and claim she was sinless, not true, mary was a normal human just like you or me and had faults as well. the only faultless person to walk the earth was Jesus

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have heard people of many different religions say that another religion (not just Catholic) are not Christian because...then they would rattle off something. I stopped listening.

I wish people would STOP hijacking definitions...the definition of Christian is to believe in Jesus Christ...its that simple, there are no qualifiers on it.

I find it repugnent how judgemental people are with respect to saying that. I have said this in another thread, ones belief in Jesus Christ and relationship with him is not for someone else to judge...doing so makes them a hypocrite. These people should read over what Matthew 7 has to say about this.
Ok first off you just contradicted yourself by saying "I wish people would STOP hijacking definitions...the definition of Christian is to believe in Jesus Christ", and second off your definition is not even close, heres the real one, back in the bible when jesus was collecting his disciples, he referred to them as christians due to the fact they followed him, christian means follower of christ, not believer, and regarding the whole catholic thing, back in the dark ages catholics used fear to basically rob people, with the whole "if you don't pay you can't get into heaven", what a load of crap, jesus back in his day used whips to drive those kind of people out of his temple, so in my opinion they are as far away as muslims to being christians. and on top of all the other things you said that are false, you completely took matthew 7 out of context, he was referring to how people lived their lives (like the harlot he befriended) not how people worshiped him. do some thinking and researching before you open your trap.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauM208 View Post
Ok first off you just contradicted yourself by saying "I wish people would STOP hijacking definitions...the definition of Christian is to believe in Jesus Christ", and second off your definition is not even close, heres the real one, back in the bible when jesus was collecting his disciples, he referred to them as christians due to the fact they followed him, christian means follower of christ, not believer, and regarding the whole catholic thing, back in the dark ages catholics used fear to basically rob people, with the whole "if you don't pay you can't get into heaven", what a load of crap, jesus back in his day used whips to drive those kind of people out of his temple, so in my opinion they are as far away as muslims to being christians. and on top of all the other things you said that are false, you completely took matthew 7 out of context, he was referring to how people lived their lives (like the harlot he befriended) not how people worshiped him. do some thinking and researching before you open your trap.
Christian, yes, follower of Christ. However, as far as I know, Jesus never used the term Christian. That term was used by outsiders (Romans, Jews, etc.) to group the folks following Jesus.

Apparently, you think Jesus was powerless or was a liar based on your other comments. You may want to reread Matthew 16:13-19.

Oh, and by the way, you have such a sweet disposition.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM

95 posts, read 162,399 times
This is a 3 year old thread that I couldn't & wouldn't read thru all the posts since some were blatant excuses to bash Roman Catholics. I am not Catholic but apparently know more about the Church of Rome than many other posters. The Christian church has many many denominations which is sad but that's the way it is. The Roman Catholic church is no more or no less Christian than any Protestant or Orthodox group. There was only one Christian church for over 1000 years when the Eastern & Western church separated over a few issues, primarily the role of the pope. It was almost 500 years later that the Reformation occurred. So for 1500 years Christians were basically Catholics [either Roman or Orthodox].

Some Protestants broke from the Western Church but did so in a conservative way; thus we have Anglicans and Lutherans who resemble Roman Catholics more they many Protestant denominations. But both Lutherans and Anglicans have never rejected the Christian faith of the apostles and retained the traditional worship and the historic episcopacy [though some American Lutherans do not adhere to that polity].

The splintering of the Christian church continued all the more after the Reformation and now there are so many different Protestant groups that it is confusing.

But we are all Christian.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
What else other than the Bible would Catholics base their religion on? If this question goes with your point of view according to the latter sentence then don't worry about answering it!

One more for whoever:

According to what I know from my husband, Catholicism is the first Christian faith and all other Christian religions evolved from Catholicism. Is he the only one that thinks that?

I'm soooo confused.
That's certainly my understanding. But really, why care what other people think? No matter which denomination of Christianity you are, you can find another denomination that thinks you're not Christian, your denomination is wrong, and that you're going to Hell.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's certainly my understanding. But really, why care what other people think? No matter which denomination of Christianity you are, you can find another denomination that thinks you're not Christian, your denomination is wrong, and that you're going to Hell.
I don't know if you meant the last statement as "in general" or b'c I quoted my husband but just for the record, he doesn't think that at all. Honestly, I don't even remember how I even started asking this question except that I think I heard one side say "Catholics aren't Christian" and my husband saying, "WTH? Catholocism was the first Christian religion!" Knowing very little about religion I was curious to hear other opinions.

With that said, it's pretty amazing, I think, that this thread is still going on. Every once in a while, it pops up. It's weird that people read posts that far back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity