Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times

Advertisements

Reaching Out To People...

We have something other people need...and what is it that make the angels in heaven rejoice?

Winning souls for Christ!

How do we do this?

By example! The best way we reach out to others is the way that we live...how do we respond to others? That person who is so annoying to you...how do you respond to them?...do good to those who spitefully use you and say terrible, false things against you...look what they did to Jesus...and he said to the Father, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Blessed are they which suffer for the Name of the Lord.

I want to talk about reaching out to people...and not quitting because of the pressure that comes against you from the world...

...has anyone ever fished?

Luke 5:

(1)And it came to pass, that as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Genesareth,
(2)And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fisherman were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
(3)And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him, that he would thrust out a little from the land: and he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
(4)Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
(5)And Simon answering, said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
(6)And when they had done this, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes, and their net brake:
(7)And they beckened unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so they began to sink.
(8)When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
(9)For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken.
(10)And so was also James, and John the sons of Zebedee, which were patners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not, from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
(11)And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

In a miraculous taking of fishes, Christ shows how he will make Peter and his partners fishers of men.

A few keys to be a good fisher of men:

1. Go where it is deep (v.4)...push out of your comfort zone to reach out to other people...the eyes of the Lord roam to and fro searching for the faithful...someone He can use.
We can fish with a pole or a net. Fishing with a pole will get us one type of fish. Fishing with a net, we'll catch "stuff" we didn't need to catch...but you also catch all types of different fish. As Christians, we cannot just pick and choose...launch out with your nets...who's the bait?...we are!...our actions, attitudes and words...our love, is the bait...when we are walking in love...we are walking in all the power of God...preaching the Gospel to the world.
God wants us to go deeper..stop picking and choosing.

2. Let down your nets (v.4)...unless we cast something out, we can not expect to catch anything...we must make ourselves available to be used by God...and God will not use us if we have a bad attitude...he will not use us for our ability, He will use us for our availability. We cannot take ourselves out of the equation...IT'S OUR MISSION!...not to condemn...but to tell the truth in love...as hard as it may be for some to swallow the truth, tell it anyway...out of your love for them.
Some will never have a good attitude, they want others to change and they can't even change themselves.

Are you available to be used by God? People are so hungry to learn about eternity...but they will reject the presentation if you are not giving it in love...the one's who even reject your presentation that is given in love, and lash out at you in anger and hostility...these need to hear it the most...and they aren't mad at you, they are mad either at themselves, or they are mad at God, because what you are giving them is the Word of God. The messenger, the disciple is responsible to tell the truth, in the Spirit of Christ.

3. We worked all night, and caught nothing (v.5)... Don't ever assume that you're done. Before we talk to people about God, we must talk to God! We are God's workmanship...and He'll continue to construct us.

Doesn't it seem that when you pray for people, they get even worse sometimes?

4. "...but if You say so..I'll let down my net..." (v.5)...Preaching the Gospel! And this is the Gospel...

Mark 16
(15)And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.

(16)He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved, but he that believeth not, shall be damned.

Whatever He asks you to do..do it.

5. Don't give up! They took Jesus' word and followed His instruction.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received His Word, were baptized: and the same day were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 4:4 Howbeit, many of them which heard the Word, believed, and the number of the men was about five thousand.

We are the bait!!!...recruit partners! (v.7)...In the secular it is good for businesses to compete...For the body of Christ, competition destroys the Church. People around you, that you come into contact with, should be exalted when you live for the Lord.

6. Do not be afraid! (v.10)...fear is the biggest thing that keeps us from sharing Christ with others. When we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, and speak through us...afterwards, when we have time to think about what was said earlier...you'll think, "Where did that come from?" It was the Spirit, not us.

IMPORTANT!!!...Get into the word, the Bible, because you never know...the Lord is looking for those who are faithful, who study and show themselves approved.
Would we fear handing out money to other people? I wouldn't..I would love to be able to do that! So how can we fear sharing the Gospel...? What price can you put on the saving Word of God?

7. Be prepared to forsake all (v.11)...and as soon as they landed, they left everything...money (from the gigantic catch!)...cars...(or camels)...property...great worldly wealth. Would we be able to lay it all down?

If anyone is to follow Me, he/she is to lay everything down...and follow Me.
Prepare to forsake all...What price can you or I put on eternal life?

God Bless you,
Love,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
It is too bad such extraordinary zeal and such a loving nature has been corrupted by a heinous and evil doctrine into the opposite of what it seeks to be. Love is the message . . . the only message. Love God and each other. All else is man-made hubris and fear-mongering for obedience to man-made rules and doctrines in institutions of power and control.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Reaching Out To People...

We have something other people need...and what is it that make the angels in heaven rejoice?

Winning souls for Christ!

How do we do this?

By example! The best way we reach out to others is the way that we live...how do we respond to others? That person who is so annoying to you...how do you respond to them?...do good to those who spitefully use you and say terrible, false things against you...look what they did to Jesus...and he said to the Father, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Blessed are they which suffer for the Name of the Lord.

I want to talk about reaching out to people...and not quitting because of the pressure that comes against you from the world...

...has anyone ever fished?

Luke 5:

(1)And it came to pass, that as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Genesareth,
(2)And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fisherman were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
(3)And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him, that he would thrust out a little from the land: and he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
(4)Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
(5)And Simon answering, said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
(6)And when they had done this, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes, and their net brake:
(7)And they beckened unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so they began to sink.
(8)When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
(9)For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken.
(10)And so was also James, and John the sons of Zebedee, which were patners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not, from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
(11)And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

In a miraculous taking of fishes, Christ shows how he will make Peter and his partners fishers of men.

A few keys to be a good fisher of men:

1. Go where it is deep (v.4)...push out of your comfort zone to reach out to other people...the eyes of the Lord roam to and fro searching for the faithful...someone He can use.
We can fish with a pole or a net. Fishing with a pole will get us one type of fish. Fishing with a net, we'll catch "stuff" we didn't need to catch...but you also catch all types of different fish. As Christians, we cannot just pick and choose...launch out with your nets...who's the bait?...we are!...our actions, attitudes and words...our love, is the bait...when we are walking in love...we are walking in all the power of God...preaching the Gospel to the world.
God wants us to go deeper..stop picking and choosing.

2. Let down your nets (v.4)...unless we cast something out, we can not expect to catch anything...we must make ourselves available to be used by God...and God will not use us if we have a bad attitude...he will not use us for our ability, He will use us for our availability. We cannot take ourselves out of the equation...IT'S OUR MISSION!...not to condemn...but to tell the truth in love...as hard as it may be for some to swallow the truth, tell it anyway...out of your love for them.
Some will never have a good attitude, they want others to change and they can't even change themselves.

Are you available to be used by God? People are so hungry to learn about eternity...but they will reject the presentation if you are not giving it in love...the one's who even reject your presentation that is given in love, and lash out at you in anger and hostility...these need to hear it the most...and they aren't mad at you, they are mad either at themselves, or they are mad at God, because what you are giving them is the Word of God. The messenger, the disciple is responsible to tell the truth, in the Spirit of Christ.

3. We worked all night, and caught nothing (v.5)... Don't ever assume that you're done. Before we talk to people about God, we must talk to God! We are God's workmanship...and He'll continue to construct us.

Doesn't it seem that when you pray for people, they get even worse sometimes?

4. "...but if You say so..I'll let down my net..." (v.5)...Preaching the Gospel! And this is the Gospel...

Mark 16
(15)And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.

(16)He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved, but he that believeth not, shall be damned.

Whatever He asks you to do..do it.

5. Don't give up! They took Jesus' word and followed His instruction.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received His Word, were baptized: and the same day were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 4:4 Howbeit, many of them which heard the Word, believed, and the number of the men was about five thousand.

We are the bait!!!...recruit partners! (v.7)...In the secular it is good for businesses to compete...For the body of Christ, competition destroys the Church. People around you, that you come into contact with, should be exalted when you live for the Lord.

6. Do not be afraid! (v.10)...fear is the biggest thing that keeps us from sharing Christ with others. When we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us, and speak through us...afterwards, when we have time to think about what was said earlier...you'll think, "Where did that come from?" It was the Spirit, not us.

IMPORTANT!!!...Get into the word, the Bible, because you never know...the Lord is looking for those who are faithful, who study and show themselves approved.
Would we fear handing out money to other people? I wouldn't..I would love to be able to do that! So how can we fear sharing the Gospel...? What price can you put on the saving Word of God?

7. Be prepared to forsake all (v.11)...and as soon as they landed, they left everything...money (from the gigantic catch!)...cars...(or camels)...property...great worldly wealth. Would we be able to lay it all down?

If anyone is to follow Me, he/she is to lay everything down...and follow Me.
Prepare to forsake all...What price can you or I put on eternal life?

God Bless you,
Love,
Verna.
Eternal life seems to be a prize to be won... sad very sad! Sad that you think the only thing to live for is death... I live for life not death...

sad very sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity