U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,855,093 times
Reputation: 1302

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Umm... no offence - but I don't think you understand what a drug addiction is. Are people who have a drink once in awhile alcoholics?
Umm ... no offense ... I don't need to be told by people what I do and don't know about drug \ alcohol addition people, especially who don't know a **mn thing about my background. FYI I dealt with drug \ alcohol addition people at a hospital, helping police officers and counselors of addicts. Every one has always some version of "on occassion and in moderation".

There is no such person as "on occassion and in moderation" marijuana non-addict. There is only degrees of addition in moderation.

The same with alcohol. A person who gets relaxed from using alcohol is using it as stimulant. This person will eventually need more to get relaxed. Eventually becoming a addict.

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-18-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,223,909 times
Reputation: 22098
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Umm ... no offense ... I don't need to be told by people what I do and don't know about drug \ alcohol addition people, especially who don't know a **mn thing about my background. FYI I dealt with drug \ alcohol addition people at a hospital, helping police officers and counselors of addicts. Every one has always some version of "on occassion and in moderation".

There is no such person as "on occassion and in moderation" marijuana non-addict.
Um... I have friends that smoke marijuana once or twice a year. And you consider them to be drug addicts??? My father smoked marijuana about 3 times in his life - was he an addict? And for that matter - while I have known alcoholics - I have never known a marijuana addict. Everyone I know of that smoked or smokes marijuana can take it or leave it on any given day.

Maybe you don't need to be told anything - but you also don't need to be telling others anything either. I could tell you that, given your cursing at me - you need some anger management help! How can you call her a drug addict based on one post in a thread online where she says that she smokes pot on occasion??? Ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 33,471,547 times
Reputation: 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well there is one teeny-tiny problem with it......it's ILLEGAL.
Good point. I think 1 Peter 2:13-15 is salient.

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men"

I think that submission to human institutions for the Lord's sake is equivalent to obeying the law, reporting to the draft board, taking the census, paying your taxes, etc. etc. and a real argument could be made the the Bible elevates breaking the laws of the land to sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,149,987 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Yep, no link to cancer, thanks for sharing that. It has many other health benefits, read about the case of Steve Kubby. Steve Kubby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,149,987 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Good point. I think 1 Peter 2:13-15 is salient.

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men"

I think that submission to human institutions for the Lord's sake is equivalent to obeying the law, reporting to the draft board, taking the census, paying your taxes, etc. etc. and a real argument could be made the the Bible elevates breaking the laws of the land to sin.
Would turning in people who helped fugative slaves in the pre-cival war days have made your list? It was illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 33,471,547 times
Reputation: 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Would turning in people who helped fugative slaves in the pre-cival war days have made your list? It was illegal.
It's interesting that you say "my list". I think the underlying notion is that you must submit to governmental authority because God put the authority in place to create law, therefore the law is an extension of God's will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,134,304 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Is smoking marijuana a sin?......

Yes. I saw how it affected kids in H.S...how incoherent and non-logical their answers were, how messed up their personal lives became. It was not uncommon for a teacher to ask "been smoking marijuana" ... other kids thought it was a joke.

Most often the kid would respond just like what you did .."on occassion and in moderation....just like you drink a beer or wine in moderation....to RELAX!!!"

You need help ChristyGrl .... get help .... you have a drug addiction.
Dude...you are totally whacked...trying to compare a grown adult (who smokes once every blue moom) to a bunch of frackin idiot teenagers.

I hate to break it to you pal...but I'm far from a DRUG ADDICT. The last time I smoked a doobie was roughly a year and a half ago....and before that, probably two. Did you not read or comprehend my post at all????

Personally, I think you need help if you took what I said about occassional use as meaning I'm a drug addict or perhaps you just need to enroll in a reading comprehension course...you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,855,093 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Um... I have friends that smoke marijuana once or twice a year. And you consider them to be drug addicts??? My father smoked marijuana about 3 times in his life - was he an addict? And for that matter - while I have known alcoholics - I have never known a marijuana addict. Everyone I know of that smoked or smokes marijuana can take it or leave it on any given day.

Maybe you don't need to be told anything - but you also don't need to be telling others anything either. I could tell you that, given your cursing at me - you need some anger management help! How can you call her a drug addict based on one post in a thread online where she says that she smokes pot on occasion??? Ridiculous!
The same reason you think I need anger management....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,855,093 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Dude...you are totally whacked...trying to compare a grown adult (who smokes once every blue moom) to a bunch of frackin idiot teenagers.

I hate to break it to you pal...but I'm far from a DRUG ADDICT. The last time I smoked a doobie was roughly a year and a half ago....and before that, probably two. Did you not read or comprehend my post at all????

Personally, I think you need help if you took what I said about occassional use as meaning I'm a drug addict or perhaps you just need to enroll in a reading comprehension course...you decide.

First off I'm not your pal.

Second you wrote the post....get better writing skills.

Third ... I stand by what I wrote. "There is no such person as "on occassion and in moderation" marijuana non-addict."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,223,909 times
Reputation: 22098
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The same reason you think I need anger management....
My point was I don't think you need anger management! My point was that I don't know anything about you except what you say in your posts - and I hardly think that I could learn something like that about you from a few words that you say online. The fact that you swore at me shows that I angered you - but just because someone gets angry at something does not mean they need anger management. Just like just because someone smokes a joint once in awhile does not make them a drug addict. Which brings me back again to my point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top