U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,647,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How do you even function!!!

Believe me it's hard. LOL! Seriously if there is one thing I am addicted to it would be nicotine, because let's face it, nicotine is extremely physically addictive. Marijuana is not! I suppose you could be psychologically addicted, but then again you could be "addicted" to Doritos!

Sooner or later I'm going to quite smoking (cigarettes). I haven't quite found what works for me yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,118,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
And I will everytime. I seen and have to deal with people and have a close friend (LT policeman) who would have a different opinion about the destructiveness that results from under estimating drug addictions.
You think the police gives a rat if a person says "on occassion and in moderation" even if that's once, once a year, or once a day?

I have been on a jury dealing with this same issue that this "oh so innocent" teacher was convicted of addiction and all his so called "freinds" defense..."on occassion and in moderation." His "friends" had your attitude, which if somebody would have gotten in his face about it, would probably prevented what destroyed that guy's career.

I care about my neighbor....
Dude...you need to get a serious grip on reality here. Not everyone who has an occassional drink or smokes an occassional doobie is an alcoholic or a drug addict. If you honestly think that...then you have a serious problem and very little education in the area of addiction. I have extensive experience dealing with, counseling and helping treat drug addicts and alcoholics...99% have deep psychological and emotional trauma that is the underlying cause of their addiction and very few become actual addicts due to occassional use.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,118,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Believe me it's hard. LOL! Seriously if there is one thing I am addicted to it would be nicotine, because let's face it, nicotine is extremely physically addictive. Marijuana is not! I suppose you could be psychologically addicted, but then again you could be "addicted" to Doritos!

Sooner or later I'm going to quite smoking (cigarettes). I haven't quite found what works for me yet.
My name is Christy and I'm a Chocoholic......

Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,121,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
And I will everytime. I seen and have to deal with people and have a close friend (LT policeman) who would have a different opinion about the destructiveness that results from under estimating drug addictions.
You think the police gives a rat if a person says "on occassion and in moderation" even if that's once, once a year, or once a day?

I have been on a jury dealing with this same issue that this "oh so innocent" teacher was convicted of addiction and all his so called "freinds" defense..."on occassion and in moderation." His "friends" had your attitude, which if somebody would have gotten in his face about it, would probably prevented what destroyed that guy's career.

I care about my neighbor....
So trying something once makes you a drug addict? Um... okay.
It doesn't sound like you care about your neighbor - it sounds like you are judging your neighbor. There is a difference between trying something once and being a drug addict. Now, don't get me wrong - if it is something like cocaine - I don't think you should try it even once - and I have yelled at my friends for doing just that. However, that still didn't make them drug addicts. In case you are unaware - here is the definition of addiction.

Main Entry: ad·dic·tion
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\
Function: noun
Date: 1599
1 : the quality or state of being addicted <addiction to reading>
2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

I don't see where it says that trying something once or twice means that you are addicted. Now - some people do lie about how often they do drugs when they are addicted - however - that does not mean that everyone that has ever done any drug lies about it. When some people say they have only tried something once or only do something a few times a year - sometimes they mean it!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM

580 posts, read 632,167 times
These are just a few scriptures on drinking and most of this the Lord is speaking of drinking in excess and some consequences. If the Lord came for me, I would not want to be drunk or high. Be prepared for Jesus at any moment.

I think this is a discernment from God for each believing heart.
Also, some believers are weaker in these areas of life and we should encourage them as the Spirit leads, so they may be strengthened in the Lord and not weakened by an earthly substance.

Proverbs 23
19 Listen, my son, and be wise,
and keep your heart on the right path.
20 Do not join those who drink too much wine
or gorge themselves on meat, 21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor,
and drowsiness clothes them in rags.

29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
30 Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly! 32 In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper. 33 Your eyes will see strange sights
and your mind imagine confusing things. 34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging. 35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
They beat me, but I don't feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"

Isaiah 5:11
Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.
Isaiah 5:22 Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks,
Habakkuk 2:15
"Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbors, pouring it from the wineskin till they are drunk, so that he can gaze on their naked bodies.
Matthew 24: 48But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I do, it is the one already presented on this thread. If you read the chapter you will find that Paul gives examples of sins which are committed in the body, such as sexual immorality. Such sins are committed with YOUR OWN body, not the body of Christ. And he says to honor God with your body. Do you honor God with your body when you have sex with a prostitute? No, you don't. Do you honor God when you draw toxic smoke into your lungs in order to cloud your mind? No, of course you don't.

1 Corinthians 6:19-25 . 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

LOL

That is hillarious.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the chapter!

You could not take a verse further away from the context than what you just did.

Verse 1: get along as a group

Verse 2 judge among yourselves within the group

Verse 4 workings of the group

verse 5 begging that there must be one wise person in the group

verse 6 group

verse 8 you are brothers

Do you see any trends here?

Of course you can only see them if you read the context.

verse 11 you [the group] have been washed of unholiness

verse 12 talking about who has power over others within the group

verse 13 our food and our physical bodies will both be destroyed, but the group of us was made for The Lord, and The Lord is for the group of us.

verse 14 God raised Our Lord and God will raise 'us'.

Do I really need to do this?

You are so funny!

Verse 15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, ...

Verse 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he shall be one flesh.

verse 17 as we are one body so are we one spirit

Nice try though, assuming that you have never read a Bible

Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,118,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

That is hillarious.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the chapter!

You could not take a verse further away from the context than what you just did.

Nice try though, assuming that you have never read a Bible
Great post, context!

That is a good example about why I started this thread. The curse of the verse

Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM

214 posts, read 456,580 times
1Corinthians 3:17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

When I became a Christian I didn't know that smoking was a sin. It seemed every time I opening my Bible I would open to that verse above and come under great conviction.

I knew that the Lord was talking to me about quiting smoking but I had smoked for many years and it was hard trying to quit.

I kept trying and praying and one day a man of God pointed a finger at me and said, "Take those cigarettes out of your pocket. God is going to deliver you from cigarettes.

I took the pack out and tossed it away. I was instantly delivered and had no withdrawal pains of any kind and no wish to smoke again.

Keep praying, repenting and ask God for help. He will help you to quit.

David

Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
:12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
:13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or