U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,114,757 times
Reputation: 2840

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What masses?
The American Christian masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,837 posts, read 9,645,205 times
Reputation: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well there is one teeny-tiny problem with it......it's ILLEGAL.
So is exceeding the speed limit but I bet you do it...if only 'occasionally'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You think the police gives a rat if a person says "on occassion and in moderation" even if that's once, once a year, or once a day?
You think the police give a rat when they bang you for speeding and you claim that you only do it "on occasions and in moderation" even if that's once, once a year, or once a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,567,063 times
Reputation: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings....but we don't see the evidence of a whole lot of ONENESS amongst any of you.
Oneness is beyond sensory perception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,567,063 times
Reputation: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So is exceeding the speed limit but I bet you do it...if only 'occasionally'.

You think the police give a rat when they bang you for speeding and you claim that you only do it "on occasions and in moderation" even if that's once, once a year, or once a day?
Nope. They sure don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Reputation: 7449
It has been proven that there are many good uses for marijuana, and not just for use as an intoxicant. Why would God consider it a sin to take advantage of the many uses, whether it be medical, recreational, or for making paper, clothing and a possible alternate fuel source? He put the damn plant here obviously for a reason! Lets utilize it! Sure it may be illegal, but that is due to man made laws, and BS propaganda from those in society that want to impose their will on others for their own personal greed and gain! People need to do their research and stop buying into the BS like "Reefer Madness" and the other propaganda out there. Believe it or not, there ARE a lot more responsible users of pot than not, just like there are drinkers! The only reason it is a big deal, is because it is illegal. Just because it is illegal that doesn't make it right that it is. How many other stupid laws do we have in this country? And there are plenty of Christians, who are very loving, caring and hard working individuals who partake in it's use, who cause no harm to anyone else around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The American Christian masses.
I see. No, your assumption is incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17560
Basing church doctrine on civic law is very shaky ground.

Consider these things:
Opiates, Cocaine, Marijuana, alcohol, slavery, wife beating, child discipline, polygamy, and sodomy.

Do you know what these things all have in common?

Each of these things have seen times when they were 'legal' and times when they were 'illegal'.

With each of them, during their legal periods some of our churches embraced each of them.

And with each of them during their periods of being illegal some of our churches have preached that they are evil.

If I stand with one foot in a state where 'X' is legal, and my other foot in a state where 'X' is illegal; am I righteous? or sinning?

Can I dance by hopping from one side to the other side, one moment being legal the next moment being illegal, and the whole time the churches waffling on whether 'X' is a sin?

God gets to decide what is sin; not man.

When man decides what sin is, it ends up changing with the winds.

So last week you were holy and righteous, but this week your a sinner because the government changed their laws? That is silly. Ooop but wait next week it will be legal yet again, and with it you will be righteous again.

Sin is about a person's relationship with their Creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Reputation: 7038
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I was just going by the things you listed.

It was the people who asked God for a King, it was not what God wanted. 1 Sam 8

This is what the king who will reign over you will do: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. 12Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. 13He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. 15He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. 16Your menservants and maidservants and the best of your cattleb and donkeys he will take for his own use. 17He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, and the Lord will not answer you in that day.

Our modern government is not a King but a majority rule (unfortunately) and the majority can and does do very horrible things. I don't think God expects us to hand over slaves to their death or turn Jews into the Nazi's. There is not a lot of love for your neighbor as you turn them in to the brown shirts.
I think you're making some inappropriate assumptions and performing some oh-so-very inductive reasoning based on an interpretation of a Bible verse I quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,114,757 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think you're making some inappropriate assumptions and performing some oh-so-very inductive reasoning based on an interpretation of a Bible verse I quoted.
Not at all, we need to pick Gods law or mans. I like what the beekeeper said above. Blind obedience to the government is not always good ground to walk on.

Trying to interpret the verse to mean we need to obey our majority rule laws is incorrect, God was saying what the people need to do who asked for a king.

When a government law goes against a commandment do you think God would lead us to break his law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
 
957 posts, read 715,435 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It has been proven that there are many good uses for marijuana, and not just for use as an intoxicant. Why would God consider it a sin to take advantage of the many uses, whether it be medical, recreational, or for making paper, clothing and a possible alternate fuel source? He put the damn plant here obviously for a reason! Lets utilize it! Sure it may be illegal, but that is due to man made laws, and BS propaganda from those in society that want to impose their will on others for their own personal greed and gain! People need to do their research and stop buying into the BS like "Reefer Madness" and the other propaganda out there. Believe it or not, there ARE a lot more responsible users of pot than not, just like there are drinkers! The only reason it is a big deal, is because it is illegal. Just because it is illegal that doesn't make it right that it is. How many other stupid laws do we have in this country? And there are plenty of Christians, who are very loving, caring and hard working individuals who partake in it's use, who cause no harm to anyone else around them.
Looks like we might have a toker in the crowd. Your IP address has been traced and the authorities have been notified.

no1brownsfan, couldn't agree more. In fact, I find it devilishly ironic society finds marijuana bad and promotes alcohol. What do they know they don't want the rest of us knowing?

-no1packersfan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top