Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Am I the only one who knows what I'm talking about with the cop and the brownies and the freak-out? no? I must be youtubing too much.
I remember that one. My husband told me about it, but I thought he was joking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJynLFgXUN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I can never work out why those folk who caught the woman in adultery wanted her stoned .
Lol. Good one, pcamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I would outlaw alcohol in a minute; it's ten times as bad as pot.

SAFER - Alcohol vs. Marijuana
I would do the same. I've been debating this with people for years. I would much rather be around somebody high on MJ than be around an obnoxious drunk who thinks he can drive. My dad was an alcoholic and he was downright nasty when he drank. Mean as could be. He started fights, pissed everybody off, and ended up falling down so hard on the sidewalk one day that he broke his jaw. Very sad. I would have much rather had him smoking pot. He might have been much easier to be around. He asked about pot one time, and he made it sound like it was so bad. He looked nervous talking about it. He grew up in the 50s and I'm sure the brainwashing in the schools and whatever must have taken their toll on his young mind. He couldn't seem to think rationally about the subject at all.

I actually would like to conduct an experiment. I would take a list of the side effects of psych drugs, alcohol, and marijuana and put them on a piece of paper. I would ask people to vote on which drugs they would ban based on the side affects, and then I would uncover what the drug was. I can almost guarantee you that people would have voted to ban most psych drugs and alcohol before they voted to ban pot.

Here is an anti-drug clip from the 1950s. I guess the phrase "marijuana is a gateway drug" came from this time, as all of the clips I can find from the 50s and 60s lump all the drugs together (LSD, marijuana, heroin), which I think is ridiculous. Midway through the clip the kid standing in front of the judge claims it all started because he smoked MJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK-xB2IBxfo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

On the other hand, you don't want all of your citizens completely unmotivated and high. The clip below is from the Big Bang Theory where 3 of the guys (nerdy scientists) go out to watch a meteor shower. Two of them go to the next campsite to see if they can find women to hang out with, but they only come back with some cookies (no women), which they eat. The rest of the clip shows them getting hungrier and hungrier, and they end up missing the meteor shower because they forgot why they were out there in the first place.

Raj~~~If I could speak the language of rabbits they would be amazed and I would be their king. I would be kind to my rabbit subjects, at first. One day I hold a great ball for the president of France, but the rabbits, they hate me and don't come. I'm embarrassed so I eat all the lettuce in the world and make them watch.

Howard~~~To this day I can't look at pickled herring without being aroused and ashamed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73yElC2BDc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
I would say yes. I don't like it anyways so it doesn't matter.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
If the young voters in California had kept their promise to turn out, Prop 19 would've passed.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Drunkeness is the sin, not drinking wine. If you can smoke Marijuana without getting intoxicated, it isn't a sin. Can you do that?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Drunkeness is the sin, not drinking wine. If you can smoke Marijuana without getting intoxicated, it isn't a sin. Can you do that?
I agree entirely that drunkenness is the sin, and not drinking alcohol.

I can drink one glass of wine and not be drunk. I can drink two glasses of wine and not be drunk.

It is my understanding that one hit of marijuana will not make you instantly intoxicated, just as one glass of wine will not make you intoxicated.

However my parents are different. To them one hit of marijuana instantly puts a heroin syringe into your veins [and makes you a communist].

Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I can drink one glass of wine and not be drunk. I can drink two glasses of wine and not be drunk.

It is my understanding that one hit of marijuana will not make you instantly intoxicated, just as one glass of wine will not make you intoxicated.

However my parents are different. To them one hit of marijuana instantly puts a heroin syringe into your veins [and makes you a communist].
Believe me one hit can make you stoned, on the alcohol intake,how regular you drink dictates how quickly you get drunk,i'm still pretty sensible after a litre of good red wine

Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Catching a buzz is not a sin. The bible does say that "drunkeness" is a sin but I take this to mean drinking one's self into a stupor or to the point that one may do something that would hurt another or ones self.
What would be the purpose of drinking wine or anything else if not to be relaxed and merry?
I feel the same way about marijuana.
If it is enjoyed privatly and responsibly by adults - why not?
The puritanical attitude of most fundies on the issue of drinking is a function of the Victorian time period when many of these holiness denominations began too take a strong holdd particularly with the underclasses, where excessive drinking was the cause of spousal abuse, child abuse and poverty.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Believe me one hit can make you stoned, on the alcohol intake,how regular you drink dictates how quickly you get drunk,i'm still pretty sensible after a litre of good red wine
You boozer!--

Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Catching a buzz is not a sin. The bible does say that "drunkeness" is a sin but I take this to mean drinking one's self into a stupor or to the point that one may do something that would hurt another or ones self.
What would be the purpose of drinking wine or anything else if not to be relaxed and merry?
I feel the same way about marijuana.
If it is enjoyed privatly and responsibly by adults - why not?
The puritanical attitude of most fundies on the issue of drinking is a function of the Victorian time period when many of these holiness denominations began too take a strong holdd particularly with the underclasses, where excessive drinking was the cause of spousal abuse, child abuse and poverty.
Some good points. Interestingly, regarding the consumption of alcohol, I came across this:
Matthew 11:19 (NIV)
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’

Evidently Jesus enjoyed indulging a bit of wine, probably in moderation but enough to feel pretty jolly. And then there was also the incident about 'turning' water into wine.

Regarding marijuana, although nothing is specified about it, there is a statement concerning plants:
Genesis 9:3 (NIV)
Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

I would presume that also includes plants of medicinal value as well as for relaxation and feeling good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity