U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 AM

777 posts, read 1,096,198 times

Advertisements

I don’t smoke dope, but I think a little toke of wildwood weed now and then is not a sin, so long it does not interfere with the two instructions Jesus gave us.

Love God with all your heart. Love your neighbor as yourself. (– Matt 22:37-40, paraphrased)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 AM

4,990 posts, read 7,767,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I believe that everything that grows or moves on this earth is here for some benefit to man, including the plants such as marijuana which has some medicinal value when controlled in prescription form..

It is the abuse of those things that are not in accordance to Christian beliefs..

Personally I have never wanted to not be in control of my mind so have never used the "weed" or overindulged in "Jack Daniels" to enhance my social life..

When you lose control of your mind you put not only yourselves in danger, but those around you whether they are strangers in the other car, or your loved ones anxiously awaiting for you to come home safely..

I agree about the use of marijuana for medical purposes related to chronic illness or pain. I also agree that any medication that can induce drowsiness should be used responsibly and only when necessary. It's not a smart idea to drive around under the influence of any medication, whether prescription or over-the-counter, that can impair your alertness. For example, certain cold medications can induce drowsiness and impair your judgement. I believe if you drive under the influence of marijuana, then you should be held responsible as with any other intoxicant, such as driving under the influence of alcohol which is a serious hazard, not only to the driver but to others as well.

Still, if a plant like marijuana can have beneficial uses, then I don't see why it should be regarded as wrongful. The use of cannabis has been around for thousands of years. I understand George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, ans others, grew marijuana, although primarily for hemp fiber. I don't know if there's any real evidence they ever smoked it but I suppose it's possible they may have indulged for relaxation on occasion.
Harvey Wasserman: This President's Day, Remember that George Washington Raised Hemp & Probably Smoked it

The reason for the stigma that it is wrong to use marijuana is because it had been declared as an illegal substance, wrongfully thought to cause insanity and was a gateway drug to harder drugs. By declaring it as illegal, anyone possessing it could and did face severe prison terms.
When and how did the idea that marijuana leads to harder drugs get started?

Interestingly, around 1936, the movie "Reefer Madness" was originally financed as a morality tale by a church group under the title of "Tell Your Children". Other similar films were also produced for the same purpose. The problem with such films is that they were based entirely on wild myths with no evidence to support such views.
Reefer Madness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apart from the medicinal benefits of certain plants, there are also people who not only consume marijuana, but other mind-altering (psychedelic) plants as well, for spiritual purposes, although most Christian churches tend to condemn it believing it is only an intoxicant with no spiritual value. The point is that it has more to do with a social point of view rather than anything else.

Although the active ingredient in marijuana can be synthesized which can provide a more even medical doseage, there are some questions as to how effective it is, partly because it acts slower to take effect, and even then it might not be quite as effective as smoking it. In addition, there are some patients who should probably avoid smoking marijuana, especially people with respiratory problems like asthma. In such cases where smoking is not advisable, it could be consumed as an edible ingredient or in synthetic capsule form.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM

723 posts, read 858,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. The same Bible also says that women should not teach or preach.

So if we are to interpret the Bible literally, since the Bible says nothing about smoking pot, am I correct in assuming that smoking pot is OK?

I'll just let The Forerunner explain it!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SmHe3xS-k

GOD BLESS!!!! ............YES, EVEN THE WEED SMOKERS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,201,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I believe that everything that grows or moves on this earth is here for some benefit to man, including the plants such as marijuana which has some medicinal value when controlled in prescription form..

It is the abuse of those things that are not in accordance to Christian beliefs..

Personally I have never wanted to not be in control of my mind so have never used the "weed" or overindulged in "Jack Daniels" to enhance my social life..

When you lose control of your mind you put not only yourselves in danger, but those around you whether they are strangers in the other car, or your loved ones anxiously awaiting for you to come home safely..
Romans 14:14
I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,362,454 times
When you use mind-control substance you usually are using them to relieve the problems of the world instead of trusting in God,you are putting the drug first instead of God.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,201,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
When you use mind-control substance you usually are using them to relieve the problems of the world instead of trusting in God,you are putting the drug first instead of God.
Or, perhaps God infused certain plants and such with certain qualities for the very purpose of aiding our human condition.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,557,405 times
I can only speak from my personal experience; I was a heavy pot smoker as a youth, and after walking with the Lord for a few years I fell under a time of great trials. I took a co-worker up on an offer to get a 1/4 ounce, and I took it home and rolled one up.

I can't relate to you the deep conviction I was under, but I heard Him speak to me (maybe that was easier under the influence ) - and He said two things to me...

1. You're my son, and I love you VERY much

2. Don't ever do that again.

In short, I don't want anything that clouds my spirit from communion with Him, or change my personality from the way He created me to be.

Last edited by little elmer; 10-19-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,041,886 times
I wouldn't smoke anything because it would damage your lungs. I think pot would be okay for medicinal purposes, but you can eat it, you don't have to smoke it......but if it relieves cancer patients' pain, then yes I think it's okay for them to use it, as long as I didn't smoke it. That's JMHO.

Personally, I steer clear of anything that clouds my thinking processes, but then again, I'm not a cancer patient, thank goodness. I'm sure if I needed it I would use it.

They are fighting for their lives and I certainly wouldn't kick someone when they're down.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,288,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Actually Pharmakeia or pharmaceutica is the use of mind altering chimical for the purpose of mind expansion. Alcohol is a drug, so is caffeine and nicotine and not to mention over the counter and prescription drugs. If any sort of use of drugs is sorcery Christ was a sorcerer as he drank along with every person who lived in those times or before those times.

As a matter of fact watching television or movies has a similar if not an even more drastic and permanent effect on the brain than many drugs do, especially when you consider the dangers of subliminal advertising, and is very addictive.

Agreed....kill your TV

Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,288,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This lovely concept is why people in some churches with members who have a mental illness go untreated. Their wise elders and pastors try to pray the problems away instead of proffessional treatment and medication. So sad.
Good grief......if your child is sick...help it with the blessings of medical advancement God has given us.

Some people take it to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or